• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sutton Park (1 Viewer)

Today

6-10am today
49 spp
Inc 7 Chiffchaffs
2 + 2 singles of Buzzard
12+ Redpoll
8 Pochard Powells Pool
6 GCG across the pools some displaying
Longmoor Valley must be an important site in West Mids for breeding Reed Bunting (10-15 singing makes), Meadow Pipit (50+ birds, passing over, calling and or displaying widespread across valley and heath/grassy areas on valley slopes and Rowton Bank)?

Disappointed to see potential felling of a number (25+) standing deadwood trees in Westwood Coppice at Banners Gate entrance area (see pic attached); I assume health and safety but definitely not 'health' of the woodland! Elsewhere some old alders (but in v good health) seemingly same fate by dam at Blackroot Pool (3 Grey Wags together singing/chasing there; 6 across park today) I've let the Sut Park Conservation Group know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 144
Today

51 species
Including minimum counts of
16 Chiffchaffs
17+ Reed Buntings
16 Linnets
Pochard
5 Grey Wags
8 Songthrush
6+ Mistle
Sparrowhawk Kestrel and Buzzards
Mute Swan on nest
Many nest building LTTs inc one near complete

Today

New species today was an Oystercatcher
First seen at Powells Pool, then on raft at Longmoor Pool attracting the disapproval of the male Mute Swan who's mate I'd nesting and was trying to chase it off, then landed in garden that backs into Wyndley Pool (great garden tick for someone!).
No new summer visitors yet but increase in Chifchaffs

Today

2 Swallows over Powells Pool 8am, then one sat on wires above my car at Wyndley Pool singing at 9am. First of the year.
100s of Meadow Pipit low north in mist as with local passage trends.

Ring Ouzel

Male seen in park now!
On Rowton Bank (opposite end to model aircraft field)
100 m from the golf course between 2 clumps of pines
Before The Lord Donegal Path/ride that takes you to the memorial stone
Pictures taken

Male seen in park now!
On Rowton Bank (opposite end to model aircraft field)
100 m from the golf course between 2 clumps of pines
Before The Lord Donegal Path/ride that takes you to the memorial stone
Pictures taken

Nice one - will twitch it later if not kicked around by fun-in-the-sunsters

Today

Pic of Ring Ouzel attached
Also first Willow Warbler and Blackcap
14 Greylags Powells Pool plus Pochards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 139
Today

49 spp today including new wader (6th species): a Curlew seen and calling circling Powells Pool 6.30am then later flew up from Rowton Bank circling back to the Pool.
Also 14 Willow Warblers
7 Blackcaps
30+ Swallows hawking during rain

Last edited:
Today

New species
Pair of Wheatears
Also well in excess of 25 singing Willow Warbler across the southern and western areas
3 Teal (2 m chasing f) Powells Pool (also Greylags and Pochards here)

Today

New species: 1 Kingfisher flying across Longmoor Pool
51 spp during 12 mile walk, of interest;
14 sightings of Sparrowhawks; inc 3 together (others singles or pairs; both males and females)
Buzzards inc one carrying nest material
2 LTT nests
8 Wheatear in 2 separate groups (3 and 5)
Brimstone, Peacock, tortoiseshell and a Comma

Today

It took a while Zomerset and didn't expect in April!

2 new species today:
1 cracking male Whinchat associating with c4 Wheatear in heather/gorse area south of Model Aircraft Field
1 Common Sandpiper on the dam at Powell's Pool

Also amazingly another male Ring Ouzel west of Model Aircraft, between there and Queen's Coppice (bottom of the dip/valley between the two) area of rough grass and gorse bushes

Last edited:
Today

2 new species today
2 Yellow Wagtails on the grass Powell's Pool (Boldmere Gate): 1 at 8.40 and 2 together at 10.30am
5 Sand Martin 10.25am over Powell's Pool.
No sign of Wheatear, Whinchat or Ring Ouzel though dog walkers everywhere so unsurprised!

Today

New species; Cuckoo calling and seen near Sutton Golf Course (Rowton Bank end)
Also Sand Martin at Powell's Pool where the 2 Yellow Wagtails were again until they flew over to Boldmere Golf Course

Today

First Whitethroat today. One! Just one!
I don't know why but I though with the gorse and scrub there'd be loads. Hearing 40+ in Sandwell I thought Sutton Park would be wall to wall! Are they down generally? Too early? The Heath/scrub not their optimum habitat- i'd have thought perfect. Will try at the weekend. Even Ring Ouzel are currently more common on my records this year!

Last edited:
Today

2 new species:
1 House Martin over Powell's Pool (at last!) brought down by a shower
2 Garden Warblers; 1 Powell's Pool/Boldmere Golf Course boundary and 1 Longmoor Valley

Also of interest:
Cuckoo Longmoor Valley
Common Sandpiper Powell's Pool
Now 8 Whitethroat across the area
Still many groups of Linnet (4 distinct areas where groups are together singing/twittering!)
2 Kestrels
2 Buzzards

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back