• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV rainguards (1 Viewer)

Kammerdiner

I mentioned this long ago, but it might be of use.

For some reason, Swaro doesn't make great rainguards. I recently bought a second 8x32 SV, FP now, and yikes they still have a crummy rainguard, even though it's different from the original. If you push it all the way on, good luck trying to get it off again. If you don't push it all the way on, it won't stick at all. There's a reason they ship it with the eyecups all the way out and the rainguard off. You'd be afraid to break the thing trying to get the rainguard off.

So here's the solution: for the 32mm SV you want a Zeiss rainguard for the OLD 8x30 (32?) Conquest. A perfect fit. Get it on and it sticks. Get it off in a hurry.

For the 42mm SV you'll want a Zeiss rainguard for the FL. Same for all formats as far as I know. Again, a perfect fit and quick on and off.

FWIW: I don't put the rainguard on the strap. I just yank it off and stick it in my pocket. So it's got to be right. And I've never lost one yet.

BTW, the FP objective covers are genius . . . but I don't use objective covers. :-C

Mark

Last edited:

For some reason, Swaro doesn't make great rainguards. I recently bought a second 8x32 SV, FP now, and yikes they still have a crummy rainguard, even though it's different from the original. If you push it all the way on, good luck trying to get it off again. If you don't push it all the way on, it won't stick at all. There's a reason they ship it with the eyecups all the way out and the rainguard off. You'd be afraid to break the thing trying to get the rainguard off.

So here's the solution: for the 32mm SV you want a Zeiss rainguard for the OLD 8x30 (32?) Conquest. A perfect fit. Get it on and it sticks. Get it off in a hurry.

For the 42mm SV you'll want a Zeiss rainguard for the FL. Same for all formats as far as I know. Again, a perfect fit and quick on and off.

FWIW: I don't put the rainguard on the strap. I just yank it off and stick it in my pocket. So it's got to be right. And I've never lost one yet.

BTW, the FP objective covers are genius . . . but I don't use objective covers. :-C

Mark
Zeiss rules;)

Jan

For some reason, Swaro doesn't make great rainguards. I recently bought a second 8x32 SV, FP now, and yikes they still have a crummy rainguard, even though it's different from the original. If you push it all the way on, good luck trying to get it off again. If you don't push it all the way on, it won't stick at all.

Mark

This is the first time i've seen this acknowledged on this forum, they never quite sit in place over the eyecups..its either pressed on all the way or just let it dangle to one side!

Looks like the NL is the same design which sucks a bit, the Leica trinovids had the best rainguards imho.

Matt

One thing you can do is if you do not wear glasses, get the angled eyecups that fit over the top,
and they come with an angled rainguard to match. It fits much nicer than the hinged affair that
comes standard, I don't care for that one either.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I don't know how well the FL rainguard fits the EL SV, but I've found my 8x42 FL's rainguard comes off too easily, and the 8x32's is worse yet. I can't walk more than a hundred paces without it getting dislodged. Fortunately I'm a "sit and scan" birder more than one who goes walkabout (especially in situations where the rainguard is needed!), so it's not a major issue, but if I were the latter kind of birder, I'd have changed it for something like an Opticron, which I have to say I've found surprisingly (!) good.

I'm not totally sold on Swarovski rainguards either (the hard plastic hinged thing that comes with the 10x56 SLC is particularly clunky and unlovely, and I agree the one with the 8.5x42 Fieldpro is a bit tight - it can change the position of the eyecups if pushed in too hard or removed too quickly), but at least the bloody things stay on.

8x32EL FP - I carefully cut off the 6 raised bumps inside each eyecup and they are now a snug, but still tight, fit which pull off smoothly.

Sounds like I'm the only fan the pre FP rainguard. It does seem to be designed to have the strap threaded through both sides to work best but I really like using it that way. With a little practice, it's instant on and off in use for me. I like the SW winged eyecup set as well but often wear sunglasses so the shields can be inconvenient. But the winged rainguard also works perfectly well by itself without installing the shields so that's an option as well. And yes, thank goodness for Opticron and their rainguards. Love 'em.

Mike

8x32EL FP - I carefully cut off the 6 raised bumps inside each eyecup and they are now a snug, but still tight, fit which pull off smoothly.

That was my first thought, but on day two I was reluctant to cut them off. Good to know that if you cut them off it works well. :t:

Mark

Hi Mark,

I must be spectacularly easy to please! I find the Sw rainguards, both older SLC-style and the more modern 'stylized librarian's specs' design, just fine. I pull them up by one end no problem, and they fit back on with what a nice subdued rubbery snap. The Leica ones are possibly better but take a bit more work. All my opinion of course.

Tom

Hi Mark,

I must be spectacularly easy to please! I find the Sw rainguards, both older SLC-style and the more modern 'stylized librarian's specs' design, just fine. I pull them up by one end no problem, and they fit back on with what a nice subdued rubbery snap. The Leica ones are possibly better but take a bit more work. All my opinion of course.

Tom

I will play around with some of these, so thanks for the reminder! I use rainguards a lot, but they need to get on and off quickly.

Hi Mark,

Tom

Tom,

The new EL FP rainguard does work somewhat better for me on the 12x50 when threaded through both sides of the strap because my IP setting corresponds exactly to the natural position/setting of the rainguard. This is not the case with the 10x32 FP or new 8x30 Companion. The adjustment required in use to put them back on is too fiddly for me.

Mike

Tom,

The new EL FP rainguard does work somewhat better for me on the 12x50 when threaded through both sides of the strap because my IP setting corresponds exactly to the natural position/setting of the rainguard. This is not the case with the 10x32 FP or new 8x30 Companion. The adjustment required in use to put them back on is too fiddly for me.

Mike

Mike,

Fair enough, that makes perfect sense and it may just be that my IPD just happens to be right for the best on and off fit with the rainguard. I have a Nikon where I always have to squeeze the two sides of the rainguard to fit it back on, which is not difficult but still annoying if working with one hand as it tends to flip back off again.

Tok

That was my first thought, but on day two I was reluctant to cut them off. Good to know that if you cut them off it works well. :t:
Second that - cut mine off and now it is a snug fit, snaps easily on an off without much effort and without twisting the eyecups up and down every time. And the rainguard stays on when it should. Just trim the raised bits off the inside of the eyecup with a crafting knife. I have no idea why Swarovski have even bothered to mould the rainguard with the annoying raised bits on the inside, a sensible upgrade would be the same rainguard but with smooth edges on the inside. SW.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back