• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paul Collins

Hi all,

I am returning to Longyearbyen in Svalbard (Norwegian Arctic) in the first part of June for about 5-6 days, to coincide with: bird migration and courtship (phalaropes, divers, king eiders, little auks), whales, walruses, and arctic fox activity. I may also return in July, with a greater emphasis on the foxes and pelagic wildlife (tundra bird activity is less good at that time).

Having visited several times over the last few summers, I know the area intimately and am opening this trip up to anyone who'd like to join for wildlife or some creative photography / art in the field! I tend to spend 4 days visiting the local tundra valley and coastal lagoons, sea cliffs (for little auk and foxes), and mountains (for ptarmigan), with 2 other days dedicated to boat trips - a walrus colony visit, and a trip to Pyramiden ghost town (with high chances of whales, polar bear, and many seabirds along the way). If there's anything you'd really like to do, wildlife or otherwise, I'm very open to amending!

In the last two years, I've regularly seen whales (up to 60 beluga, blue, minke, humpback), polar bears, pinnipeds (bearded seal, ringed seal, walrus), up to 16 arctic foxes with many close encounters, and a fabulous variety of birds up close - Red-Necked and Grey Phalarope, King Eider, Steller's Eider (rare), Ivory Gull (rare), Snow Goose (rare), Svalbard Ptarmigan, Snow Bunting, Pink-Footed Goose, Purple Sandpiper, Little Auk, Brunnich's Guillemot, Black Guillemot, Common Guillemot, Puffin, Glaucous Gull, Iceland Gull...

Let me know if you're interested in a visit to this fabulous location, and I can be in touch with proposed itinerary and costings.

Paul
Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.35.02.pngScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.35.19.pngScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.34.50.pngScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.34.55.pngScreenshot 2023-02-01 at 11.35.07.png

Hi all,

I am returning to Longyearbyen in Svalbard (Norwegian Arctic) in the first part of June for about 5-6 days, to coincide with: bird migration and courtship (phalaropes, divers, king eiders, little auks), whales, walruses, and arctic fox activity. I may also return in July, with a greater emphasis on the foxes and pelagic wildlife (tundra bird activity is less good at that time).

Having visited several times over the last few summers, I know the area intimately and am opening this trip up to anyone who'd like to join for wildlife or some creative photography / art in the field! I tend to spend 4 days visiting the local tundra valley and coastal lagoons, sea cliffs (for little auk and foxes), and mountains (for ptarmigan), with 2 other days dedicated to boat trips - a walrus colony visit, and a trip to Pyramiden ghost town (with high chances of whales, polar bear, and many seabirds along the way). If there's anything you'd really like to do, wildlife or otherwise, I'm very open to amending!

In the last two years, I've regularly seen whales (up to 60 beluga, blue, minke, humpback), polar bears, pinnipeds (bearded seal, ringed seal, walrus), up to 16 arctic foxes with many close encounters, and a fabulous variety of birds up close - Red-Necked and Grey Phalarope, King Eider, Steller's Eider (rare), Ivory Gull (rare), Snow Goose (rare), Svalbard Ptarmigan, Snow Bunting, Pink-Footed Goose, Purple Sandpiper, Little Auk, Brunnich's Guillemot, Black Guillemot, Common Guillemot, Puffin, Glaucous Gull, Iceland Gull...

Let me know if you're interested in a visit to this fabulous location, and I can be in touch with proposed itinerary and costings.

Paul
View attachment 1492116View attachment 1492117View attachment 1492118View attachment 1492119View attachment 1492120
Hi Paul,

thank you for your post.

Fantastic offer.

Do you already have decided the dates?

Do you have an estimation of the cost?

Regards,

Hi Jose,

Dates probably around 9th-16th June, as I find that coincides well with the highest concentration of bird migration and courtship. Possibly previous week 3rd-9th as well. Any trip that happens in July will be less bird focussed; we may get some chicks, but emphasis is really on the foxes and pelagic animals.

Cost will be in the region of £3000-£3600 for a full 6 days' photography; this includes flights (£500 to £750rtn London-Longyearbyen), car transport and transfers, all meals, accommodation (single supplement), any guiding, and optional boat trips to the walruses and Pyramiden mining town. Cutting out any of these boat trips, finding cheapest flights, and filling every seat on the trip, could help reduce cost.

Most Arctic wildlife or photo trips tend to spend a day in Longyearbyen before setting out on long and expensive cruises; there is much amazing wildlife however to find around Longyearbyen and it's easy to spend a week here.

Paul

There were some very cheap flights from Oslo this summer with SAS. Not sure if they are still on promotion. We got returns for €120.00

I have been searching for prices in internet:

Return ticket Madrid Oslo around 200 euros (many options, some even cheaper)
Return ticket Oslo Longyearbyen 480 euros with Norwegian

Hotels (many options):

Starting in the camping site for 175 € for six nights (the tent is included, if you bring your own one is cheaper). The camping is by the airport.
Hostel with shared rooms: 350 euros for six nights.
Standard hotel: higher price
Luxury hotel: even higher price
Luxury hotel in a single room: a lot of money

Day boat to pyramid city: 200 euros per person x 2 days = 400 euros

Meals should be expensive as everything but burgers and pizza are available.
You may even buy food in a supermarket.
Let's say 200 euros

So, the price will depend a lot in the quality of the services.

Lowest: starting around 1.500 euros
Highest: As much as you want

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back