• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SVBony SV406P 16-48x65mm (1 Viewer)

mtar925

I bought this scope somewhat on impulse, after seeing it on sale. I'm saving up for an "alpha" spotter but need something in the meantime, and SVBony has a reputation in the astronomy community for high-value accessories. With an Amazon coupon reducing the net price below US$200, and the easy return policy, I figured this spotter was worth a try.

I'm very impressed! Chromatic aberration is close to zero visually, even on the Moon at max magnification. The dual focus mechanism felt stiff at first but after a little exercise has become quite smooth, yet with zero backlash. The construction seems solid and the finish, while not as posh as on the alpha scopes, is quite refined.

I chose this model in part because it accepts standard 1.25" barrel eyepieces, of which I have a good number. I doubted that an inexpensive zoom eyepiece could be satisfactory and expected to set it aside. But the included 7-21mm zoom is quite impressive! Contrast and central sharpness are acceptable or better at all magnifications, and there is very little scattered light - even on the Moon at night, a tough test for glare. Color rendition is accurate, and eye relief is very good. I wish the adjustment on the twist-down eyecup held better, and that the field was wider. But the ~42 degree apparent field at the zoom's wide end is better than what's offered in many other scopes, even some more expensive ones. Overall this SVBony zoom eyepiece - I believe it's the one they sell separately as model SV191 - has impressed me enough that I just ordered their 3-8mm zoom too, to try on my astro telescope.

I haven't owned the SV406P long enough to speak to its durability. I believe the warranty is just one year, but I've had good communication with SVBony since making the purchase and get the sense that if I have a problem within that year they would be responsive. Overall I'm very happy with this purchase.

Although i have the 406p 80mm version, i couldn't agree more. continue to be impressed by the svbony zoom so much that i don't use my baader hyperion fixed eyepieces. As for durability my scope gets a lot of use and has been through two Canadian winters thus far ....

Although i have the 406p 80mm version, i couldn't agree more. continue to be impressed by the svbony zoom so much that i don't use my baader hyperion fixed eyepieces. As for durability my scope gets a lot of use and has been through two Canadian winters thus far ....
Does anyone know if the SV190 1.25” UF18mm eyepiece will work properly with the SA406P ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back