• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Ethiopian Sunbird. (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Near Omo National Park. I have my doubts swinging between female Scarlet-Chested and Hunter's Sunbird. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Sunbird 2.jpg
    Sunbird 2.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Sunbird.jpg
    Sunbird.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Can't see it could match any honeyguide/bird, but there are a few sunbirds with this pattern in the general vicinity - though most/all have a longer/curvier bill than this (seems to have).

Can't see it could match any honeyguide/bird, but there are a few sunbirds with this pattern in the general vicinity - though most/all have a longer/curvier bill than this (seems to have).
The head and body don't seem to resemble a Sunbird either to me.

It looks most like a female Scarlet-chested Sunbird plumage wise with that dark throat, long bold moustachial and streaked yellowish underparts. The bill is a puzzle as it doesn't look broken, so could it just be the front-on angle?

I can't find a checklist for Omo on eBird and the Avibase list seems incomplete.

This looks fine for female Scarlet-chested Sunbird to my eye. Bill shape seems normal to me - looking mostly head-on like it is in the first photo will always give it a foreshortened look but it is clearly curved. A comparison with others at similar angle (for example on ebird photo explore) shows several examples. Too bad the bill is not visible in the side-on 2nd photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back