• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

SW Florida - 2 small birds (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
Supporter
See today at Harns Marsh
1st bird - photos 1 & 2
2nd bird - photos 3, 4, & 5

Many thanks!

Attachments

• a- Harns M IMG_1547.jpg
    a- Harns M IMG_1547.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 34
  • a- Harns M IMG_1548.jpg
    a- Harns M IMG_1548.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 34
  • a- Harns M IMG_1145.jpg
    a- Harns M IMG_1145.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 30
  • a- Harns M IMG_1146.jpg
    a- Harns M IMG_1146.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 20
  • a- Harns M IMG_1147.jpg
    a- Harns M IMG_1147.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 28

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
After another larger view of 1 & 2 I go with Goldfinch as well

Fandango739

GeoBird
Supporter
My Sibley shows the goldfinch with a pink bill; the bird in 1 & 2 has a bill that looks darker than that. Is that still good?
I was wondering if 1 &2 might be a yellow-throated vireo? (But that would be rare for the area.)

lgonz1008

1 and 2 look like Pine Warbler, notice the large amount of yellow in the throat area, 2 solid wing bars and the long pointy bill of an insect eater as opposed to the conical bill for seed crushing of an American Goldfinch.

Yellow-throated Vireo is mostly a migrant through Florida, but small numbers of them do winter in the State, the Kendal CBC had 5-8 of them this year (one of which I found myself). But while it looks very similar, Yellow-throated Vireo has a much larger eye to head ratio and stouter bill that gives it more of 'cute' look than what you'd get with Pine Warbler (which is a common winter and breeding resident throughout Florida).

Users who are viewing this thread