• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

SW Florida - Sparrow (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
Supporter
Seen today at Harns Marsh in the grass on the bank. This little bird caught my eye when it tried to run and hide (rather than short distance flight).
Normally I would have thought it was a Savannah Sparrow, but the eye ring and buffy yellow has me hoping for a Grasshopper Sparrow.
If it is a GS, would it be safe to presume it was a migratory bird, rather than the rare Florida GS?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• a- IMG_5984.jpg
    a- IMG_5984.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 50
  • a- IMG_5986.jpg
    a- IMG_5986.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 49
  • a- IMG_5997.jpg
    a- IMG_5997.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 47
  • a- IMG_6003.jpg
    a- IMG_6003.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 46
  • a- IMG_6005.jpg
    a- IMG_6005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • a- IMG_6009.jpg
    a- IMG_6009.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 47

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
I'm thinking Grasshopper Sparrow too, though I could be wrong. I don't know about which population it belongs to.

birdmeister

United States
I'm quite sure it's a Grasshopper Sparrow. I don't remember how the endangered Florida residents look different, but this looks very much like the regular N. American breeders to me.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I've only seen one of these guys twice but it sure looks like a Grasshopper Sparrow.

raymie

United States
This is without a doubt a Grasshopper Sparrow, but I don't know how to tell the difference between the populations.

Users who are viewing this thread