• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

*Swamp* Sparrow? (1 Viewer)

I always feel this certain happiness when I see a Swamp Sparrow. They are, for me, the quintessence of an eastern marsh. Only the best can attract Swamp Sparrows. There was a Swamp Sparrowy marsh in Nova Scotia (gotta get around to writing that up with photos for the blog here) that also held Pied-billed Grebes and Green-winged Teal (both very rare breeders there) and a bunch of Soras. Last weekend, on the snipe hunt, I was watching one of the only warblers of the day (a Yellow-rumped) when a sparrow popped up in the distance behind it, hardly pausing on one branch before moving to the next. A quick glimpse confirmed a Swamp. Swamp Sparrows and snipe must mean something is right. As was that strange cackle that reminded me of a Rallid (and there were no coots or moorhen around!).

Yet the other day, I found a sparrow on the Jones Beach jetty, which is surrounded by salty sea, beach, and dry dunes. Yet there it was, flying very weakly from here to there. The flight set of an alarm - it reminded me of an Ammodramus but it appeared to match up closer to a Song in plumage. It alighted and darted in between the rocks. Sure enough, it was a Swamp. The only thing stranger than seeing a Swamp on that jetty was seeing it again. What I mean is, this was the second time I had observed a Swamp Sparrow poking around those rocks. Them, along with Dark-eyed Junco, Western Sandpiper, Marbled Godwit and Short-billed Dowitcher create some of the oddest oddities I have observed on those rocks. The oddest of them all was sighted by someone else though - a Virginia Rail trying to hide at the base on the tower near the end of the jetty!

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread