• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swans kill their offspring (1 Viewer)

Swanlover

United States
I live on a floating home and over the past 6-7 yrs our local pair of mute swans will kill 1-2 of their offspring at 5-6 months of age?
I’m thinking the bay is do small that when the young are ready to go off on their own they don’t have a large enough body of water to go so they come back?

Is relocation to another larger body of water a reasonable action?
To be clearer is it reasonable to relocate fledgling when parents get aggressive? I ask because I have done this several yrs in a row thinking and hoping at least the young swan will have a chance at survival. As they are not native to USA animal groups don’t want to get involved.

To be clearer is it reasonable to relocate fledgling when parents get aggressive? I ask because I have done this several yrs in a row thinking and hoping at least the young swan will have a chance at survival. As they are not native to USA animal groups don’t want to get involved.
If you can safely then why not?

There may however be issues (eg conservation of other species) in helping spread a non-native to other areas.

There may however be issues (eg conservation of other species) in helping spread a non-native to other areas.
At least where I live (in US), it's illegal and heavily frowned upon to relocate any animals. Spread of disease, stressing species in relocation area, invasives, etc. etc. I learned this when inquiring whether it was ok to move a groundhog to a remote National Forest area (tired of it eating our garden and not wanting to kill it needlessly). The response was a resounding 'no!'.

There already here! I can’t watch this act if murder and then have to watch the decomposition over weeks, one with angle wing was beaten so badly I let her alone to go to sleep instead stressing in a rescue attempt. Tky for feed back not everyone agrees here with me but again they don’t have to witness 👍

There already here! I can’t watch this act if murder and then have to watch the decomposition over weeks, one with angle wing was beaten so badly I let her alone to go to sleep instead stressing in a rescue attempt. Tky for feed back not everyone agrees here with me but again they don’t have to witness 👍
Being already there doesn't mean that they should be helped to spread around the local area ...

Appreciate your concerns ... liking one particular creature over another a difficult one (moral dilemma etc).

Whereabouts in the USA are you? See eg https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/MuteSwanFacts_final_366761_7.pdf

In the UK I seem to recall the overly-aggressive parent swan being removed/relocated in instances (rightly or wrongly) - some individuals are more vicious than others.

There could be several reasons. If the parents are new parents, they may not understand having something so little hang around them and they may react accordingly.
Some (male) swans are known to be particularly vicious - killing all their offspring/other birds. Thought that Testerone levels are particularly high in such birds (abnormally so?).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back