• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Care Guide - Tips and Advice (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
I thought it might be a good idea to gather some good tips and advice for people who want to look after their Swarovski binos. All brands have different armour types, materials, lens coatings, etc., so I hope it make sense to target a specific brand with this thread (Swaros don't have the best reputation for rubber durability, for example). I'm sure many tips will be be applicable to a broad range of bino types, however!

What model to do you have, and how do you like to take care of them?

Please feel free to post things relating to care, cleaning, maintenance and good practice.

IMG_8680.jpg

"Please feel free to post things relating to care, cleaning, maintenance and good practice. "

I care for fellow human beings and through binoculars I just look. I hope that's not a problem ...

It's pretty freaking this issue with NL's armor, especially when you read about it relatively often.
Again just 2 days ago when @Pauhana said: ' 3 people i bird with on regular basis have bought NL.in past 12-18 months, 2 have had issues with armor. ' !! :eek:
Read this so many times it's not comfortable, and all that remains is to pray.
This recurring concern is really not worthy of the brand.

It's pretty freaking this issue with NL's armor, especially when you read about it relatively often.
Again just 2 days ago when @Pauhana said: ' 3 people i bird with on regular basis have bought NL.in past 12-18 months, 2 have had issues with armor. ' !! :eek:
Yeah, that's part of the reason why taking extra care is probably worth considering.

So far, I've been using an air pump to remove dust and a standard microfibre cloth and cleaning fluid on the lenses. I'm also taking care not to let any rubber parts rub against the armour when walking with them on my chest. The eyecups can cause abrasion.

Hi.

If so many rubber coatings really crumble, Swarovski should quickly come up with something.

Binoculars have to withstand a certain amount of stress before they fall apart and with all recyclable materials, if people are constantly sending their binoculars around the world, it is also suboptimal for the environment.

I actually want to use binoculars "normally" and not like a raw egg.

means,
Andreas

I have the first generation of Swarovski habitch EL 10X42 and never have an issue in terms of the rubber armor so far in two decades. I also have hear of serious issues with the NL armor, and it is just a no-no for such a top-notch brand. I have never consider(seriously) yet to buy new ones, but I see here and there concerns. Has Swarovski ever make any statement on this subject?
for me they are my tool, and I should not be kinder-gardening them any more than any other pair of a different brand (and that is also what put us into the brand, not only optical quality, but durability, robustness etc....).

What is the problem with the NL armor? Never heard about that.
From what I’ve seen on other threads, there are questions over its durability and the way it is fixed to the body of the binos. I’ve seen photos of pairs which have armour worn away by the rubber eye covers, for example. My pair has not displayed any problems so far, but it’s something that I keep in mind.

If so many rubber coatings really crumble, Swarovski should quickly come up with something.

Binoculars have to withstand a certain amount of stress before they fall apart and with all recyclable materials, if people are constantly sending their binoculars around the world, it is also suboptimal for the environment.

I actually want to use binoculars "normally" and not like a raw egg.
You obviously also don't want to sing the armour a lullaby every evening to keep it happy ... ;)

Seriously though, I'm anxiously waiting for Swarovski to start selling yet another innovative product: A stay-on case to protect the armour from the environment (and the user).

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back