• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski cl 8x30 companion (1 Viewer)

stateguy

United States
just brought a pair of these for all around use.
for a high end binoculars did I go wrong. Is there something in that range that is better ( another brand or different optics)
i wanted something light and short
i originally was going to get a pocket binoculars but figured these are not much larger or heavie. But better so that why i brought these

for a high end binoculars did I go wrong. Is there something in that range that is better ( another brand or different optics)
i originally was going to get a pocket binoculars but figured these are not much larger or heavie. But better so that why i brought these
Hello,

first of all welcome to the birdforum... :)

Could you perhaps be more specific about what you don't like about the Swarovski?
Is it just the size and weight, or is it also suboptimal mechanics or optics?

Andreas

stateguy,

There are many experts here on the forum, but I am not one of them. However IMO no one can tell you whether you "went wrong" or whether there is a "better" bin out there for you. I've had the SW 8x30 CL for 2 or three years now and am also a big fan of the SW, Leica and Zeiss pocket models in the 8x and 10x, 20 and 25 mm range. I do really like the pockets for their smaller size and weight but the CL 8x30 is generally speaking a better optical tool as would be expected based on larger exit pupil and objective diameter, not to mention Swaro quality.

In this category, there are many here who do prefer the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 because it is smaller and lighter than the CL and has a larger FOV. Others prefer the CL for its heavier more "solid" feel in hand. If you like the CL enough to actually use it often enough to justify the expense then you have an excellent binocular and you did not "go wrong" by any stretch. It strikes me (again no marketing expertise) that the CL was intended to appeal primarily to people who wanted one high end binocular small enough but big enough for enjoyable all around use.

As Andreas suggests above, any info about what you like or do not like about your CL would help us provide you with further input.

Mike

I was really asking if there anything better in that optic size.
I am not regretting buying them especially because I don’t have them yet
Don‘t worry.

The CL is a fine instrument. People of course debate forever about which 8x30 outperforms the rest of the market, but overall, and given your preference for a small and light binocular, you made a good choice (as mwhogue also confirmed), and I hope you will enjoy the little Swarovski.

This is my own take on the CL:

Canip

I think you did ok! I really like mine and have been using it regularly since 2019. I always feel it's underrated and doesn't get the praise it deserves. It terms of size, weight and image quality you might want to consider the new Zeiss 8x30 SFL, (but that is more expensive) or the Leica 8x32 Ultravid Plus (again more costly, at least in my region)

I bought a pair of the 8x30 CL Companions for a bargain price during the COVID lockdown in 2020. Have loved them since, definately great value for what I paid, Swarovski sorted me out with an extra strap, as I didn't like te one that came with the Urban package. A great comprimise in size between my baby Trinovids (8x20) and my ELs. They get more use than the others combined. I have small hands, so they fit me like a glove, the field of view is wide enough and almost sharp to the edge. Great contrast, little glare due to the deeply set objective lens. Once set, have not moved the dioptre in 3 years, so that alleged fiddly setting is a non issue for me. The slightly longer short focus has never been an issue for me either. All the time you know that Swarovski have got your back, and if I did have to sell them I would get a decent price. What's not to like? Just use and enjoy them(y)

I find it much easier to discern details with a 10x bino and so I have the Swarvo 10x32 EL gen 2 that are terrific to use, are compact, and light at 21.5 ounces.

I have owned the 8 x 30 CL binos for 5 years. The optics are excellent..the only downside is the close focus is suboptimal.

However disappointly after 5 years recently the housing/armor began to fall apart and the focus wheel cracked (despite the fact my wife and I only use the binos in our home to watch backyard birds). Fortunately Swarovski is repairing them at no cost (under warranty)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back