• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski CTH First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Albertabirder

Using with Btx 95mm....Not worth it at all for one MAIN reason....no definitive locking devices for swivel or panning (even the 101 has a single lock-all) which for me is important when transporting over my shoulder, the scope invariable moves around, don't know how Swaro missed this...I am now considering Manfrotto 502 or 500, not sure if Swaro balance rail fits either? Can anyone comment?

Michael

...I am now considering Manfrotto 502 or 500, not sure if Swaro balance rail fits either? Can anyone comment?...
I've no direct experience with the balance rail, but if memory serves all the new Swarovski stuff is Arca-type standard, whereas the Manfrotto heads use a similar but wider sliding plate standard (also sometimes used by Gitzo and Sirui). I think you should be able to use the sliding plate on those heads if you have an adapter like the following, which I frequently use to mate Arca type sliding plates with my Gitzo, Sirui, and Manfrotto heads:

--AP

Thanks for your reply Alexis, I have just finished up on mating my (BTX 95mm/1.7 extender/Swaro BR) with 3 heads that I thought might fit the bill, Manfrotto 502 and 500 plus Leofoto BV-10....the BV-10 comes in choice of AS or Manfrotto but the Swaro Rail has several options on the bottom to attach very securely to the 500 long plate that c/w the two manfrotto heads. The 500 and BV-10 are both FIXED drag for pan and tilt, whereas the 502 is adjustable drag on both pan/tilt, all three have separate locking devices for pan/tilt but yet on the most expensive one the Swaro CTH no locking at ALL... POS! Any how I have gone with the 502. This set up is a big change for me as I have used a Straight view for 30yrs but when I first looked thru the BTX it was so amazing! I have always suffered minor Black-out in all optics, particularly scopes, I was very impressed and going forward I will make the adjustments to angular-viewing, the aiming device on the BTX works well,
Michael
I've no direct experience with the balance rail, but if memory serves all the new Swarovski stuff is Arca-type standard, whereas the Manfrotto heads use a similar but wider sliding plate standard (also sometimes used by Gitzo and Sirui). I think you should be able to use the sliding plate on those heads if you have an adapter like the following, which I frequently use to mate Arca type sliding plates with my Gitzo, Sirui, and Manfrotto heads:

--AP

Glad you found a solution that works for you. The 502 is a big head that few choose. I have one and I like its action fine, but I feel it is designed backwards for the handle attachment. I didn't like the handling until I mounted the handle on the other side and backwards, so it runs over the top of the vertical drag control. In that position, I can hold the handle with my right hand and operate the vertical and horizontal lock knobs with my left hand, like I can with every other Manfrotto, Gitzo, and Sirui head that I own. Flipping the head around that way also makes the horizontal lock much easier to access, as it is facing the user. The only downside of this arrangement is that the QR plate has to be slid in what seems a backwards orientation.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back