• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Curio 7x21 versus Victory 8x25 and Ultravid 8x20 (1 Viewer)

After two field trips: the Curio is the one that gets the most use. I often find myself using the Curio and then the scope, only rarely using a more high-powered bino.
Excellent with glasses on, too. From me, 10/10 for the 7*21!
oh dear... that does resonate with me now that I am looking through he viewfinder in my camera more than my binos on many trips...

If I were designing a dual-hinge pocket glass I would put some sort of click lock on the right side to keep it fully open, so there was only one remaining hinge to adjust. I can't imagine why they don't do this.
Even though I'm fine with the Leica 8x20's as they are I'd really appreciate the addition of a click-stop, or even two.
Probably has not yet been done either due to lack of concern on the makers part, or lack of consensus on how best to implement such a feature.
Hope to see it available one day.

I am not either a fan of dual hing design. It makes it narrower when folded but instead thicker. Is it really much better?

To me a perfect solution has always been simply to place (i.e. gently slip or hurriedly shove) a double-hinge pocket model in the pants pocket with my IPD held and without any folding at all. The hinges of all models I have used so far have been tight enough for this (I'd be surprised if those of the new Swaro. are not)--and my pockets loose enough! I do this with single-hinge models also, of course.

If I were designing a dual-hinge pocket glass I would put some sort of click lock on the right side to keep it fully open, so there was only one remaining hinge to adjust. I can't imagine why they don't do this.

Nice idea tenex. While we wait on the OEMs, I vaguely recall there is an accessory designed to keep IP set symmetrically on single hinge full size bins. It seems possible that a similar type smaller accessory could be designed to effect your suggestion for asymmetrical setting on dual hinge pockets, maybe even reversible for use by our southpaw members. Perhaps some of our technologically adept members could experiment with a 3d print version, although it likely would have to be custom designed for each model bin.

Mike

I am not either a fan of dual hing design. It makes it narrower when folded but instead thicker. Is it really much better?

Swedpat,

IMO this depends on personal preference and any particular dual hinge design. I prefer and love the single hinge Zeiss VP design, many don't. There are also some dual hinges pockets that work much better for me than others whether adjusting IP symmetrically or asymmetrically.

Mike

Swedpat,

IMO this depends on personal preference and any particular dual hinge design. I prefer and love the single hinge Zeiss VP design, many don't. There are also some dual hinges pockets that work much better for me than others whether adjusting IP symmetrically or asymmetrically.

Mike
The problem with the Zeiss design is that it does not work so well if (like me!) you are left handed! But anyway with the CL 8x25 you can duplicate the single hinge advantage by simply opening the right barrel, for example, as far as it will go and then adjust the ipd by only moving the left barrel. This is what I always do.

I've just ordered the Curio and have the CL 8x25 so will also post my thoughts on how the two compare later in the week, if anyone is interested. If I like the Curio enough I will sell the 8x25.

The single hinge on the VP 8x25 is incredibly bulky, I'd much rather have a double hinge on mine, or at least a thinner one.

I compared the Curio 7x21 to an Ultravid 8x20. The Curio is noticeably brighter, but apart from that there isn't much difference optically. I already have an UV 8x20 so I opted not to get the Curio. In any case the VP 8x25 is my EDC pocket binocular.

Especially with a pocket binocular a brighter image is appreciated, as well as more stable image. And a lightweight pocket model is less stable than a fullsized so 7x21 is a very good idea. Not to forget the wider TFOV and longer ER.

gweller,

The problem with the Zeiss design is that it does not work so well if (like me!) you are left handed!

Makes perfect sense.

But anyway with the CL 8x25 you can duplicate the single hinge advantage by simply opening the right barrel, for example, as far as it will go and then adjust the ipd by only moving the left barrel. This is what I always do.

Yes to explain and for context, that's what I mean by "asymmetrical" IP adjustment on a dual hinge design. I learned about this technique reading some of Alexis Powell's posts on the subject. Very helpful technique for me especially with the SW CL 8x25.

I've just ordered the Curio and have the CL 8x25 so will also post my thoughts on how the two compare later in the week, if anyone is interested. If I like the Curio enough I will sell the 8x25.

Looking forward to your thoughts/comparison.

Mike

I compared the Curio 7x21 to an Ultravid 8x20. The Curio is noticeably brighter, but apart from that there isn't much difference optically. I already have an UV 8x20 so I opted not to get the Curio. In any case the VP 8x25 is my EDC pocket binocular.
I have both (in fact, I also have the VP).
The Curio is brigther but the exit pupil is also larger and the FOV much larger. To me, this was good enough reason the make the Curio my favorite compact binocular.

I have both (in fact, I also have the VP).
The Curio is brigther but the exit pupil is also larger and the FOV much larger. To me, this was good enough reason the make the Curio my favorite compact binocular.
21/7=3, FOV@100=40.5'
25/8=3.125, FOV@100=39'

Curios could be brighter, prolly not do to EP, seems, (if thats what you intended?). FOV not so much larger...

I own and use the 825 Pocket quite a lot. If I have a complaint its the single hinge, but for a different reason. Mine's a bit more loose than I would prefer. Carrying cross chest, with binos on chest, not at waist, where you would think they are more stabilized, I have to reset the IPD about every time I mount them to my face. If Ive guessed correctly, (maybe not), Zeiss assumes these pocket binos get folded frequently and so set the hinge softer than more full sized binos. I dont know the Curio. if a double hinge mini was loose like this, I fear it'd drive me crazy to reset the 2 hinges to fit my eyes, this often.

Owners can comment please?

UV 8x20: 113 meters at 1000m according to Leica specs.
Curio 7x21: 135 meters at 1000m according to Swaro specs.

And this matches my experience with them: big difference, no tunnel vision with the Curio, same FOV as the Zeiss 8x25.

21/7=3, FOV@100=40.5'
25/8=3.125, FOV@100=39'

Curios could be brighter, prolly not do to EP, seems, (if thats what you intended?). FOV not so much larger...

I own and use the 825 Pocket quite a lot. If I have a complaint its the single hinge, but for a different reason. Mine's a bit more loose than I would prefer. Carrying cross chest, with binos on chest, not at waist, where you would think they are more stabilized, I have to reset the IPD about every time I mount them to my face. If Ive guessed correctly, (maybe not), Zeiss assumes these pocket binos get folded frequently and so set the hinge softer than more full sized binos. I dont know the Curio. if a double hinge mini was loose like this, I fear it'd drive me crazy to reset the 2 hinges to fit my eyes, this often.

Owners can comment please?
I've not tried the Curio, but if the hinges on the CL 8x25 are anything to go buy they stay in place very well.

Semi-tempted by the Curio due to the extra FoV but I'm very happy with the CL 8x25 so it's a someday/maybe change.

UV 8x20: 113 meters at 1000m according to Leica specs.
Curio 7x21: 135 meters at 1000m according to Swaro specs.

And this matches my experience with them: big difference, no tunnel vision with the Curio, same FOV as the Zeiss 8x25.
Im confused and sorry if I made a mistake. I thought you were comparing VP to Curio, "I have both (in fact, I also have the VP)." Missed that "also". My specs came from BH, (single source). Dont bird much at 1000 whatevers... Ha!

My specs came from BH, (single source). Dont bird much at 1000 whatevers... Ha!
I use B&H also because their website is very well designed and this is such a great shop: I had the most interested conversation about french vs italian gastronomy with the guys from the binoculars department there.

They also give the FOV using the metric system btw but I know some countries have a hard time with it:sneaky:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back