• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 10 x 42 for £1230 from In-Focus (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Visited the In-Focus shop today at Rutland Water, where I had hoped to view several binoculars as I want to upgrade from my very good 10 x 43 Hawke Frontier.

I have previously tried Leica Trinovid 10 x 42HD £855 (very impressed), and Swarovski SLC HD 10 x 42 £1170 (again very impressed), but also wanted to try out Nikon Monarch 10 x 42HG £849, and Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 42 £969 which are all advertised at these prices on the In-Focus website.

I have to say, initially I was very disappointed having driven 70 miles to get there, to find out they actually don't have the binoculars they advertise for sale on their website, in their In-Focus shops. I am sure most of you realise this. But it came as a real surprise to me.

Anyway, what they did have was a current sale of 20% off Swarovski EL 10 x 42s. So £300 off meant £1230. I tried them compared to literally the only other high-class binocular in this price range that they had, a Vortex, but the Swarovski blew it out of the water for detail, depth of field, and overall sharpness.

So I just thought I would make people aware of this current offer as it is a really good offer. Can people clear one thing up for me please? Is the EL (there was nothing about it being WB or Field-Pro written anywhere, just Swarovski EL 10 x 42) the same thing as Swarovision which I sometimes see advertised as the EL-SV or SV-EL?

Anyway, I realise the offer is due to the pending release of the new NL-range, but I still thought it was a very good offer to highlight. I am pondering about taking the plunge - is this good value for this model?

Last edited:
Hi Nick, I wondered if you had checked out Focus Optics before, possibly less of a journey for you? I bought my previous bins from there and received excellent service, they also have a good range of kit and a small reserve on-site to do some field testing. There is also Birders Store in Worcester, who carry a good range and offer decent service, I bought a spare pair of bins from them last year.
I'm afraid I can't really assist with your dilemma, only to offer the same advice of test yourself and trust your eyes!
With regards to the EL series, I think there are 3 incarnations; EL (original slightly rounded with large exposed metal grip) EL Swarovision (slightly more graceful in appearance with "swarovski" written on the left barrel) and EL field-pro (non-traditional strap lock and only the Goshawk logo). I'm sure all three are excellent, I'd be keeping an eye open for one of these if I had the money (and didn't own a pair of Zeiss) though!
Just one further thought; I've seen a few EL Swarovision come up on eb*y before with a BIN price of between £800 - £1000, and original EL's for £500 - £700. Given the decent aftercare service, I'd advise that a used specimen would offer even better value.

Good luck with the hunt.

Last edited:
On their website it says WB, for the 10 x 42, so could well be older stock but a new unit. As you suggested perhaps Swarovski or In Focus moving on stock to make way. There has been a very useful list of EL models provided by John A Roberts here on BF but first thing I would do is ring and confirm which version is on offer.

Last edited:
I think this was the Field-Pro as he put on the strap on the binocular which was quite tricky and a system I have never seen before.

Just surprised the actual accompanying booklet didnt state which it was, but based on the strap and attached lens caps, I am sure it is the Field Pro version.

Thanks for the tips.

If it is indeed the Field Pro then thats a reasonable price. Check out the close focus as there has been an alteration by Swarovski on these and discussed on here.

Looking at the pictures it was definitely the Field-Pro as it had the attachment things for the strap. However it also had Swarovski written on one barrel and the Goshawk symbol on the other.

After thinking about this, and scrutinising reviews and opinion, sat in the hides, I've gone back and bought them.

And have to say they are optically superb and crystal clear with that superb depth of field, meaning I don't have to constantly refocus as much, as I have to do with any binoculars I have previously had. Don't get me wrong, at 3 x the price you would expect to notice the difference.

Aged 57, Ive acquired a Kowa 883 this year after saving up, and now have these beauties too, so with ageing eyes I really hope it makes birding continually enjoyable for a few years yet!

As noted in wolfbirders other thread, the price of £1230 was offered by mistake.

Thanks to PYRTLE for pointing out the inconsistency in the descriptions on our website - these have now been corrected to show that we are indeed selling the Field Pro versions of the EL.

Regarding the carrying of stock of what is shown on our website, most optics retailers in the UK don't carry everything they list. Some lines sell in such small quantities that having much needed cash (especially at the moment!) tied up in stock doesn't make financial sense.

We are also just coming back from having been closed due to Covid-19 restrictions and it is taking time to rebuild our inventory across all brands including the ones, like Swarovski, Hawke and Opticron, that sell in good numbers.

Best regards, The In Focus Team

Really interesting thread that touches on a couple of things. Way back in 1992 I wanted to buy a pair of Zeiss bins and arranged for In Focus to take a pair up to a pop-up stall they were running at Martin Mere. I was very disappointed that they forgot to put them on the van. To cut a longer story short, I tried, was amazed by, and bought a pair of 7x42 SLCs. Now this was a bit of a punt as Swarovski were by no means the household name they are now. Anyway, needless to say, the bins have been superb for 28 years especially in low light. Until last month! I went out on a wet day and the right tube fogged. It was still foggy a few days later and after a chat with In Focus I filled in the service form and sent them back to Absam. Now I had been told that Swarovski had a good rep for service but I couldn't believe what happened in this instance. First I got an email to say the Bins had arrived safely. Then another to say they would be repaired for free. Then one to say they were finished. And one to say they were on the way back. When they did arrive, I did not recognise them at all. The body was a much more modern one that my (rather angular) version. There was a new strap, new focus wheel, new twist-up eyecups, new lenses. Best of all, when I looked through, the view was an incredible improvement on what it had been. And it was pretty good before! I'm presuming it's something to do with the coatings although I'm not really into the technical side of things. There was an invoice included which detailed 700 euros of work Swarovski had done (including coatings, housing and lenses with "free of charge" written under each one. So..moral number one: it's not necessarily a bad thing when a company doesn't carry all the stock they list and, 2 If a company is prepared to commit to returning an item in a "better than new" condition 28 years after manufacturing them then that's what I call a good investment. Cheers D

Really interesting thread that touches on a couple of things. Way back in 1992 I wanted to buy a pair of Zeiss bins and arranged for In Focus to take a pair up to a pop-up stall they were running at Martin Mere. I was very disappointed that they forgot to put them on the van. To cut a longer story short, I tried, was amazed by, and bought a pair of 7x42 SLCs. Now this was a bit of a punt as Swarovski were by no means the household name they are now. Anyway, needless to say, the bins have been superb for 28 years especially in low light. Until last month! I went out on a wet day and the right tube fogged. It was still foggy a few days later and after a chat with In Focus I filled in the service form and sent them back to Absam. Now I had been told that Swarovski had a good rep for service but I couldn't believe what happened in this instance. First I got an email to say the Bins had arrived safely. Then another to say they would be repaired for free. Then one to say they were finished. And one to say they were on the way back. When they did arrive, I did not recognise them at all. The body was a much more modern one that my (rather angular) version. There was a new strap, new focus wheel, new twist-up eyecups, new lenses. Best of all, when I looked through, the view was an incredible improvement on what it had been. And it was pretty good before! I'm presuming it's something to do with the coatings although I'm not really into the technical side of things. There was an invoice included which detailed 700 euros of work Swarovski had done (including coatings, housing and lenses with "free of charge" written under each one. So..moral number one: it's not necessarily a bad thing when a company doesn't carry all the stock they list and, 2 If a company is prepared to commit to returning an item in a "better than new" condition 28 years after manufacturing them then that's what I call a good investment. Cheers D
Hi Dom, interested in your service experience. I have a pair of Swarovski's which have been superb as long as I have had them (not 28 years or anything like it!). Until yesterday when the focussing wheel stopped working. Can you give me the address you sent them to so I can send them away for a deep clean and service. I use them all the time and have tried an old pair of Leica Trinovids but they are no match so keen to get the Swaro's off asap! Thanks in advance.

Jon

Hi Dom, interested in your service experience. I have a pair of Swarovski's which have been superb as long as I have had them (not 28 years or anything like it!). Until yesterday when the focussing wheel stopped working. Can you give me the address you sent them to so I can send them away for a deep clean and service. I use them all the time and have tried an old pair of Leica Trinovids but they are no match so keen to get the Swaro's off asap! Thanks in advance.

Jon
Hi Jon, I think the way you do it (the way I did it) is to ring the customer service number (in Austria) and the lady there asks for your serial number and email. She then sends you a form to print out and indicate the fault. Then you send it to Swarovski Optik in Surrey with your instrument and they send it to Absam. They can tell your warranty level from the serial number I believe. I have a whole load of phone numbers here and I'm not sure which is the one I rang but just go on the site and it will be clear. You get them back direct from Austria I think. Hope this helps. D

Hi Jon, I think the way you do it (the way I did it) is to ring the customer service number (in Austria) and the lady there asks for your serial number and email. She then sends you a form to print out and indicate the fault. Then you send it to Swarovski Optik in Surrey with your instrument and they send it to Absam. They can tell your warranty level from the serial number I believe. I have a whole load of phone numbers here and I'm not sure which is the one I rang but just go on the site and it will be clear. You get them back direct from Austria I think. Hope this helps. D
I'll get onto it and let you know how I get on. Many thanks.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back