• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 blare/distortion (1 Viewer)

Deanicuss

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Glare/distortion

Hello,

I have just purchased some new EL 8.5x42's. These are my first Alpha Bins, one thing I am noticing is the eye placement seems to be very important for a clear view.
When panning I do get a slight milky haze and also a slight halo haze/halo unless my eyes are all the way into the cups.

They are superb to look through but as these are my first Alphas I thought I'd ask the more experienced for some advice.

Thanks,

Dean.

:hi:Hi Dean,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

You should be able to adjust the eye cups to different lengths. Try all the lengths to find the one that fits best with your eye physiognomy.

In my case I pull the eye cups out to their full length on all my binoculars and then brace the top of the eye cups up against and slightly under my brow ridge. This also helps keep the binocular steady. It works for me but everybody has to find their own best position.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I find the eye cups at the intermediate position works best and gives me full FOV with some blackout if i look around. Also I already have some of the WES eyecups installed, (they are great).

Thanks guys, I find the eye cups at the intermediate position works best and gives me full FOV with some blackout if i look around. Also I already have some of the WES eyecups installed, (they are great).
Welcome aboard :t:

Are these the Swarovision (SV) EL's ? or the earlier plain EL model ?

I would think that you should be able to set the EL up perfectly to get a clear view of the entire field without blackouts, with a good margin of error. Swarovski SV's are the king of bins for eye placement, not sure if the EL's also lay claim to that fame ?

Along with making sure the eye cup length is set to the right position (ER - or Eye Relief) , make sure you also have the IPD - Inter-Pupillary Distance (the width of the binocular using the Centre hinge) set to the correct distance for your eye spacing.

I wear glasses, so not much direct comparison help, but I find the eye placement and alignment latitude with the (SV's) to be absolutely luxurious - very forgiving - the best in the business. :t:

Setting the bin up perfectly for yourself should minimize any glare issues, though ultimately it's a separate thing.

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:

Dean: I think you are getting things worked out, finding the right eyecup
position is important and the winged eyecups really help with any side lighting.

Also, make sure you have the proper IPD," interpupilary distance", this can
also make a big difference.

I also assume you have the diopter adjusted to best suit your eyes.

Good to see your post, you have a very nice binocular, and enjoy it.

Jerry

Yes these are the SV field pro, I grabbed them whilst they still had the 1.5m min distance as I see Swarovski recently changed this!

I only notice this issue when panning, its just a slight haze. Probably something completely normal!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back