• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 servi (1 Viewer)

mtbengel

United States
The focus wheel fell off my 20 year old 8.5x42 ELs so I sent them off to Swarovski for repair. They replaced the focus wheel mechanism at no charge but noted that there were some fine cosmetic-scratches on the lenses and offered to replace them at a reasonable cost. They replaced all the external lenses, re-collimated, re-charged them with nitrogen, and installed new rubber armor & badges for $200. They came back with new lens guards front and rear to boot. They are accentually as they were new. You can’t beat that with a stick!

Yes, they are still 20 years old but I’m not one of those who feel that the small advances of the last few years makes that much of a difference (at least not to my 68 year old eyes). To be honest, I still cling to my even older 1999 Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt BGAT T*Ps as my preferred form factor. Nothing feels as good in my hands as the slim Zeiss design, and the view out of either the Zeiss or the Swarovski is still amazing to my eyes.

Last edited:
The focus wheel fell off my 20 years old 8.5x42 ELs so I sent them off to Swarovski for repair. They replaced the focus wheel mechanism at no charge but noted that there were some fine cosmetic-scratches in the lenses and offered to replace them at a reasonable cost. They replaced all the external lenses, re-collimated, re-charged them with nitrogen, and installed new rubber armor & badges for $200. They came back with new lens guards front and rear to boot. They are accentually as they were new. You can’t beat that with a stick!
Unbelievable for 200 dollars, Swarovski also lives from the great service!
Congratulations and another 20 years of binocular fun... (y)

Andreas

I have had to have a new left hand barrel on my 10 year old 10x42 ELs due to a stupid tumble I took.
New barrel and the enclosed optics, new armour for both barrels, new badges, freshly powder coated metal bits, new eyecups - almost a new pair of binoculars.
£300, including return postage from my local optics shop to the factory in Austria

The focus wheel fell off my 20 year old 8.5x42 ELs so I sent them off to Swarovski for repair. They replaced the focus wheel mechanism at no charge but noted that there were some fine cosmetic-scratches on the lenses and offered to replace them at a reasonable cost. They replaced all the external lenses, re-collimated, re-charged them with nitrogen, and installed new rubber armor & badges for $200. They came back with new lens guards front and rear to boot. They are accentually as they were new. You can’t beat that with a stick!

Yes, they are still 20 years old but I’m not one of those who feel that the small advances of the last few years makes that much of a difference (at least not to my 68 year old eyes). To be honest, I still cling to my even older 1999 Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt BGAT T*Ps as my preferred form factor. Nothing feels as good in my hands as the slim Zeiss design, and the view out of either the Zeiss or the Swarovski is still amazing to my eyes.
That’s always nice to hear how good swarovski can be, very reassuring. Oh and don’t try a Leica🤪

Paul

Received my 2004 vintage 8x32EL back from a service in Absam yesterday. Optically as good as new, cleaned, new armour & eye-cups and unspecified 'small parts' at no cost. Now that the repair/service process has gone online, email updates are provided at each stage so that you are aware of how things are progressing and when your binocular will be 'home'. Truly excellent service.

RB

Good outcome on the 8.5x42 EL, mtbengel. I'm curious, are you the registered owner with SONA?
~ Foss

FWIW....looks like Swarovksi is still back-logged from their IT migration this summer. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get a few spare parts for weeks. First I emailed them a list of 3 part numbers - a few weeks later I got the parts - the wrong ones. It was almost like they randomly selected stuff they thought I would need, including 2 new neck straps. That's cool, they're my favorite ones, now I have one on my Zeiss binos. But I still need the 8x56 SLC eyecups for my 10x56 and also some extra strap loops for the chest harness. Somehow the strap loops got converted into neck straps.

I've called the last few days, each time the phone system says I'm 10nth in the queue and never advances me forward despite an hour on hold. So the last couple times I entered my phone number for a callback - no response. Trying again today. Also once it gets to 430 they hang up on you - so don't try waiting on hold in the afternoon.

FWIW....looks like Swarovksi is still back-logged from their IT migration this summer. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get a few spare parts for weeks. First I emailed them a list of 3 part numbers - a few weeks later I got the parts - the wrong ones. It was almost like they randomly selected stuff they thought I would need, including 2 new neck straps. That's cool, they're my favorite ones, now I have one on my Zeiss binos. But I still need the 8x56 SLC eyecups for my 10x56 and also some extra strap loops for the chest harness. Somehow the strap loops got converted into neck straps.

I've called the last few days, each time the phone system says I'm 10nth in the queue and never advances me forward despite an hour on hold. So the last couple times I entered my phone number for a callback - no response. Trying again today. Also once it gets to 430 they hang up on you - so don't try waiting on hold in the afternoon.
That's a shame but I suppose even very good companies have a hiccup from time to time.

Swarovski's service is something I really value, it makes me want to keep the bins I have as apart from being great I know I can always rely on them to keep them that way even when the warranty runs out, good for the planet too. It can't come cheap to provide the level of service they do but then their binoculars aren't exactly cheap either!

Same issue...I have been trying to contact them for over a month, phone calls and emails....only one automated response, that was not helpful....let me know if you have any luck.

I e-mailed Swarovski (Austria) last week about my binoculars.
It occurred to me that I didn’t have a note of the date I bought my 10x42 ELs and I didn’t know the manufacture date of my 8x32 ELs (bought second hand this summer)
I supplied them with the serial numbers and asked them for any information they could provide.
It took them approximately 36 hours to reply.
They provided the month and year of manufacture for the 8x32s and the date, month and year I submitted the guarantee registration for the 10x42s - near enough to the purchase date.

I’m going to suggest that their IT migration might well have finished. I suspect it would have taken more time to search paper records.

It occurred to me that I didn’t have a note of the date I bought my 10x42 ELs and I didn’t know the manufacture date of my 8x32 ELs (bought second hand this summer)
I supplied them with the serial numbers and asked them for any information they could provide.
They provided the month and year of manufacture for the 8x32s and the date, month and year I submitted the guarantee registration for the 10x42s - near enough to the purchase date.

I’m going to suggest that their IT migration might well have finished. I suspect it would have taken more time to search paper records.
That is promising...I will try emailing again.

master5, I think you must have missed that Swarovski solved my dilemma extremely quickly but than for the link

Mike, regarding the manufacture date you add 30 to the first 2 digits of the SN to get the year and the next 2 digits tell you the week.

Mike, regarding the manufacture date you add 30 to the first 2 digits of the SN to get the year and the next 2 digits tell you the week.
PeterPS
I think you must have missed that Swarovski solved my dilemma extremely quickly but thanks for your help

PeterPS
I think you must have missed that Swarovski solved my dilemma extremely quickly but thanks for your help
I have not missed the fact that Swaro helped you, my point was that there was no need to ask Swaro: you could easily get the manufacture date from the SN.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back