• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski el 8x32 (1 Viewer)

doggone1

United Kingdom
Hi all. I want a pair of Swarovski el 8x32 binoculars. I’ve got two I’m interested in, one is a 2012 swarovision, the other is earlier 2008 without swarovision. The earlier ones have the 30 year warranty, the sv’s warranty is just about to run out, but they have just been serviced and re armoured and are both in good condition. Would the sv ones be worth forgoing the warranty? Or are the earlier els not much different? Both are about the same price bar £100, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. I want a pair of Swarovski el 8x32 binoculars. I’ve got two I’m interested in, one is a 2012 swarovision, the other is earlier 2008 without swarovision. The earlier ones have the 30 year warranty, the sv’s warranty is just about to run out, but they have just been serviced and re armoured and are both in good condition. Would the sv ones be worth forgoing the warranty? Or are the earlier els not much different? Both are about the same price bar £100, thanks.

Pending input from more expert members, I would go with the SV because SW have a reputation for servicing binoculars after warranty at reasonable or even no charge. A friend of mine owns a pre SV 8x32 EL and I have causally compared it to my late pre FP 8x32. Not a lot of difference in terms of "quality" of image, the real difference is the original EL does not have the field flattening tech, which not everyone likes. Also seems to me the pre SV version should be more than 100 quid cheaper generally speaking.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Pending input from more expert members, I would go with the SV because SW have a reputation for servicing binoculars after warranty at reasonable or even no charge. A friend of mine owns a pre SV 8x32 EL and I have causally compared it to my late pre FP 8x32. Not a lot of difference in terms of "quality" of image, the real difference is the original EL does not have the field flattening tech, which not everyone likes. Also seems to me the pre SV version should be more than 100 quid cheaper generally speaking.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike
Thanks Mike that is just the sort of input I was looking for the sv are priced at £750 with box and all accessories and the el are £650 without box but all accessories I think you’re right being as the sv has just been serviced can’t see to many problems arising apart from my butter fingers but warranty won’t help there if I could get to have a look in person it would have helped but being on the Isle of Wight it’s not really an option

I am with Mike. With Swarovski, I wouldn't worry about the warranty too much. Swarovski is a great company and will take care of their customers no matter what, in my experience. I would definitely go with the 2012 model with Swarovision. IMO, it was a definite improvement in many ways, with the most important one being a flat field design with sharp edges. I like a flat field with sharp edges, but you may not. Try them both your self if you can.

I am with Mike. With Swarovski, I wouldn't worry about the warranty too much. Swarovski is a great company and will take care of their customers no matter what, in my experience. I would definitely go with the 2012 model with Swarovision. IMO, it was a definite improvement in many ways, with the most important one being a flat field design with sharp edges. I like a flat field with sharp edges, but you may not. Try them both your self if you can.
Thanks for the input I go with the sv sounds like the best option

Hopefully you can return the SV if you cannot tolerate the flat field, (not saying you will, but if in the event that you do) or the Pre-SV for whatever reason.

Hopefully you can return the SV if you cannot tolerate the flat field, (not saying you will, but if in the event that you do) or the Pre-SV for whatever reason.
That will be an option but I’m sure I’ll be happy with them I haven’t read to many negatives about either but there does seem to be to many positive’s with the sv to ignore them

I have both, and I find the MK II version to be significantly better, especially in terms of eye relief. That said, my old MK I's are not slouches. I keep them around to loan to research assistants in the field, and they've put up with a ton of use over the years.

Last edited:
I don’t get wrapped around the axle over the latest generation of Blarney concerning ED, HD, SV, or M-O-U-S-E, especially since MANY observers are only being TALKED INTO recognizing the differences and filling in for what the fovea/brain combination has failed to do—as the advertiser has planned. I am not saying that there is no improvement in the technology. Just pointing out our brains don’t work on opto-mechanical technology. Thus, is it REAL? Yes! Can MANY observer recognize the improvement? NO! There is too much individual physiology between point A and point B. Serious investigation might preclude hanging onto the advertiser’s every word.

My mother was illiterate but not stupid: “Figures don’t lie, but liars figure.” Not only that, but they can be manipulated by the dollar. After one of my binocular articles, I was taken to lunch by an industry leader who indicated it might be financially rewarding if I were to write a piece saying his company’s AR coatings were “better” than those of Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski. I would write the article and his company would take care of publication placement. I thanked him for lunch.

Don’t take the above to mean I don’t appreciation the technology or that I’m finding fault with Swarovski.

Much of the perceived difference in image brightness can be laid at the feet of:

Baffling, Blackening of edges, Prism shields, Size of the field stop’s opening, Position of the field stop, Knife-edge on that stop, Prism type, Slotted prisms (in Porro units), Smoothness of optical surfaces, Configuration of the eyepieces, and many more things the “average” observer—whatever that is—doesn’t know of or even thinks about.

The first photo attached shows part of my more than 100 fine binos. You will note 9 Swarovski models on the top shelf. The Swarovski 8x32 was the only other instrument in contention for my money when I bought my Nikon 8x32 SE.

The second image illustrates that we don’t always see what we THINK we do because little or no attention is paid to background influences. Technically, both dots are exactly the same brightness. It is the background illumination that makes the difference.

Just a thought.

Attachments

• IMGP0978 copy.JPG
    IMGP0978 copy.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.12.49 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.12.49 AM copy.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 109
Ohh
I like Swarovski binoculars.

The SV model definitely has some enhancements over pre-SV models:
  • better field flatteners and less edge distortion
  • less CA
  • enhanced coatings for better color rendition
  • a wider FOV and more of that FOV useable to the edge
  • the focus mechanism was noted as improved

How much of an image improvement an individual user will actually perceive will vary. However, Andy also makes a valid point about testing to see your individual sensitivity/tolerance to the globe effect from the extremely flat field.

The 8X32 SV is, IMHO, the better of the two.

Hello Doggone1 - If your still interested in a pair of Swarovski 8 x 32 EL's I have them and would sell . Any questions ? Price - $1,100 . They are excellent and been in closet for most of the time. Have all original papers box , etc.
thaanks much ! Vincent 13

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back