• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL W B 8x32 - Flare (1 Viewer)

Does anyone have an explanation why some people are so sensitive to glare, while others are not? I suspect that people with more dilated pupils, for whatever reason, could more easily be glare/flare sensitive, than those with smaller pupils under the same lighting conditions. I found this link interesting, which might shed light (pun intended), on the causes of dilated pupils. https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/why-are-pupils-dilated-mydriasis

It seems that pharmaceuticals, including antihistamines, are a very common cause. Doesn't it make sense that dilated pupils could make some people more light sensitive? (certainly if you had drops instilled for a retinal exam, you can relate to this.)

It might particularly explain why some are bothered by a flare at the periphery of the FOV, while others don't see it all; e.g. the case of peripheral glare with the Nl.

Does anyone have an explanation why some people are so sensitive to glare, while others are not? I suspect that people with more dilated pupils, for whatever reason, could more easily be glare/flare sensitive, than those with smaller pupils under the same lighting conditions. I found this link interesting, which might shed light (pun intended), on the causes of dilated pupils. https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/why-are-pupils-dilated-mydriasis

It seems that pharmaceuticals, including antihistamines, are a very common cause. Doesn't it make sense that dilated pupils could make some people more light sensitive? (certainly if you had drops instilled for a retinal exam, you can relate to this.)

It might particularly explain why some are bothered by a flare at the periphery of the FOV, while others don't see it all; e.g. the case of peripheral glare with the Nl.
Blue-eyed people vs brown-eyed people? Brown-eyed people have more pigment in their irises, so they could be less sensitive to off-axis light.

Maybe?

Last edited:
"Just to emphasize that the quoted last sentence in my post was actually a definite vote for Swarovski, with the point you comment on as a minor side thought. I'm happy with the overall price as I know now from my brief experience of two years with the make that the product will be excellent. That includes such nitpicking things as these: the dioptre dial will show zero for zero consistently on all their binoculars, making adjustment hassle-free (from the ones I have had anyway in their modern EL and SLC line); the collimation will be spot on, not leave me questioning the bins or my own eyes; and the eye-cup twist action will identically firm and positive on different models. Also, much less crucial but a good sign, the latest-style rainguards and objective covers seem a really neat solution — to me at least. It took me a bit longer to trust and win battles with the Field Pro strap system, but I have been won over to that now."

Hi Tom,

Yep, I get it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

re today's above, #20, we're often advised here on BF to go try multiple binos before we buy. Ive read Holger Merlitz and get that while we may all be equal, we are not the same, (eyes/brain/face/etc). So that advice makes sense. We're also often advised to try multiples of a brand/model do to piece to piece variation. Thats less comforting. But there's hope. Ive read more than once here, that Swarovski is one of the better regards piece variation. What you detailed above speaks to that point I believe.

Yesterday i attempted to explain how a liberal warranty, service policy is not something baked into purchase price, but is rather evidence the company values, (e.g. is willing to pay by not charging), for the information it gleans from those repairs. Only by knowing can continuous improvement and the elimination of failure costs happen in a smart way.

Add that to today's idea that a thinking company works hard to minimize piece variation and one explanation for say Swarovskis' success becomes clear.

Is it a coincidence, (in round numbers), among the best binos, Els cost $2000., SFs $2500., Noctivids $2800., Ultravids $2500.? NLs reportedly being something else. Or, is it possible that paying attention to quality and continuous improvement, yields the best performance at the lowest price, therefore best value for a given class of product?

GTom

"Just to emphasize that the quoted last sentence in my post was actually a definite vote for Swarovski, with the point you comment on as a minor side thought. I'm happy with the overall price as I know now from my brief experience of two years with the make that the product will be excellent. That includes such nitpicking things as these: the dioptre dial will show zero for zero consistently on all their binoculars, making adjustment hassle-free (from the ones I have had anyway in their modern EL and SLC line); the collimation will be spot on, not leave me questioning the bins or my own eyes; and the eye-cup twist action will identically firm and positive on different models. Also, much less crucial but a good sign, the latest-style rainguards and objective covers seem a really neat solution — to me at least. It took me a bit longer to trust and win battles with the Field Pro strap system, but I have been won over to that now."

Hi Tom,

Yep, I get it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

re today's above, #20, we're often advised here on BF to go try multiple binos before we buy. Ive read Holger Merlitz and get that while we may all be equal, we are not the same, (eyes/brain/face/etc). So that advice makes sense. We're also often advised to try multiples of a brand/model do to piece to piece variation. Thats less comforting. But there's hope. Ive read more than once here, that Swarovski is one of the better regards piece variation. What you detailed above speaks to that point I believe.

Yesterday i attempted to explain how a liberal warranty, service policy is not something baked into purchase price, but is rather evidence the company values, (e.g. is willing to pay by not charging), for the information it gleans from those repairs. Only by knowing can continuous improvement and the elimination of failure costs happen in a smart way.

Add that to today's idea that a thinking company works hard to minimize piece variation and one explanation for say Swarovskis' success becomes clear.

Is it a coincidence, (in round numbers), among the best binos, Els cost $2000., SFs $2500., Noctivids $2800., Ultravids $2500.? NLs reportedly being something else. Or, is it possible that paying attention to quality and continuous improvement, yields the best performance at the lowest price, therefore best value for a given class of product?

GTom
HI GTom,

Post no. 24, your last paragraph...

I don't know but that idea is a very attractive one. It sounds a fine business model and should result in considerable goodwill value coming from the customers of the products whose sales the firm is competing for. And even if it is coincidence, having possibly the best service backup goes a long way to making the customer's experience a happy one and their buying from that brand again or recommending it to their friends.

To be fair regarding my point in the last sentence I should speak as I have found, in that I haven't had a bad service experience from any of the top make manufacturers: L or Z, and as for N, I've never had anything of theirs go wrong in the first place, from F2 cameras (manufactured 1971-80) to the EDG bins. But I shouldn't be tempting fate! The only repairs I have needed to optical equipment have generally been due to age of components that perish, such as rubber, or wear and tear by a very active previous owner who may not have had the chance or inclination to follow suggested service intervals. Or when I have dropped something...

Tom-2

Last edited:
Newby here

I am looking to get a pair of binoculars to supplement/aid my photography

Because of the amount of photographic gear i carry the binoculars would not be full size, weighty types, rather something lighter
Going for 8x (if i need more that 8x will be looking at next gen stabilised)
I wears specs so eye relief is important
Close focus (for butterflies and dragonflies) more than welcome
Price? May have stretched to Swaro at £1395 (but on Interest Free) otherwise best quality/value

Going backwards and forwards between:
Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 (no flare issues & better fit for spec wearers, relatively cheap)
Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 (more flare, more finicky eye placement but light)
Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 (less flare, better fit for spec wearers, heavier)

Then read an article here (Gilmore Girl) who was blown away by the:
Swarovski 8x32 EL

but after checking I concluded that flare was reported, but better eye relief than HG 8x30, but very expensive

Getting to the point,

I emailed Swarovski with the following question:

I am a potential Swarovski customer (Swarovski EL W B 8x32)
In my research for this product I have come up with some disturbing comments regarding the flare resistance of this model
Not effecting the 10x model these criticisms are quite numerous eg Birdforum, Allbinos and You tube
Perhaps you could advise if this issue has been addressed or is a known (to you) issue with these binoculars

In my inbox today:
Thank you for your email. The answer is “Yes” we are aware of this issue, after hearing about it, we did check it out, and yes, there is some extra internal flare when you are looking into the sun at a REALLY abnormal angle. Honestly, it’s something that is searched for and not completely obvious through normal usage. The product has been in our current line for almost 8 years with very little complaint about this issue. I want to be clear that we aren’t trying to be dismissive as there is obviously enough concern and to warrant comment on a forum, I just don’t think it’s an issue that could be easily remedied due to the engineering of the product. If you have any further questions or concerns I’ll be happy to address them for you.

Hello 54PAC
Why don't you take advantage of Zeiss Free 48HR Test drive ( www.cliftoncameras.co.uk )
I have just returned a pair of 8x32SF - having extended the Free test drive to 1 week. In all it cost me £78.00 delivered and collected from my doorstep.
They arrived a day early and were collected on day 9
I have since had a promo code issued via email for a £70.00 discount on purchasing a new pair!
I see you mention interest free credit, and Clifton Cameras are currently offering up to 36months interest free.
These binoculars are in a class of their own.

Scatcat

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back