• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski Habicht 7x42 GA (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
And the lineage of the Habichts is far longer . . .

Swarovski introduced it’s first commercial binocular in April 1948 in 6x30, with the 7x42 model following later in the year (they both used the same eyepiece)
The significance of 1948 is that it was when the Allied Occupation Forces first allowed the production of complex optical products in Germany and Austria

The early production was by Swarovski KG. Then in 1949 the seperate company of Swarovski Optik KG and the Habicht brand were registered
- and the metal body Porro prism models have been so named since then

- - - -

During WWII, from 1941 to 1944, Swarovski KG produced 183,000 standard pattern 6x30 Dienstglas - the Zeiss 6x30 Silvamar model
The Swarovski production was identified by the code marking ‘cag’. For more detail see at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3973007

The cag’s provided the basis for the post-WWII commercial production e.g. until 1952 the prism covers each had a deep oblong where the WWII markings had been ground away
See some examples in the 4th photo in post #21 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=386132

- - - -

The Silvamar dates back to 1910, and was preceded by the 6x30 Jagdglas of 1907. See Kind, Hudemann et al, at: http://home.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbn2.txt

. . . so an ancestry back to 1907! Which is only 13 years after when the first binocular was commercially produced by Zeiss in 1894

John

Last edited:

PHA

Hello LGM,

I am a fan, by head AND heart, of the Habicht. From all ages! I have had 6 of them as I wrote here a few times.
From the eldest to the newest I have nothing but good things to say about them. Even the earliest ones with that yellowish cast view. I have had also a Leica BA (selected between others samples including one BN), a Zeiss FL and a Zeiss HT. All these three top of the line instruments, all in 10x42, have served me very well. Last year, May 2019, I went to Europe because a family event and wanted to replace my former Zeiss HT recently sold (the worst of all in veiling glare to me...) with a Leica Noctivid, Swarovski EL SV or a Swarovski SLC. I tried all and then saw a Habicht W GA 10x40 just out of the factory, made in April 2019. To make it short, it is my actual and only 10x40/42 binocular. A full circle from my first really good binocular I bought used in 1981....a Habicht 10x40!!!!
May be is not for everyone but, to me their virtues are more than their shortcomings, put side by side with the others. May be the Leica Noctivid 10x42 or a Sw. ELSV 10x50 would be the contenders. I didn´t see yet the NL. The Habicht 7x42 W GA is a great binocular, indeed, but I like more magnification and a wider field of view. I think this Habicht W GA 10x40 will be my last serious binocular. Ah...together with my Meopta Meostar 8x32. A perfect matched pair, for my uses.

Good luck!

PHA

Loud Green Man

Thanks everyone. I've just placed my order c/o the UK's nicest Swarovski Optik Rep' and will let you have my thoughts once field tested.

LGM

Patudo

hunting was a thing in Europe before birding? i mean the habichts have been around since 1947

Hunting has been a "thing" in Europe since before the Cro-Magnon era. I'll bet those lads who painted the Lascaux and Chauvet caves would have liked a Habicht back then, though...

Last edited:

Aquaplas

Austria
I have bought now a Brand new Habicht 7x42 GA.
handling Qualität of view is excellent!
One thing is strange. When I look into the lens from behind, I see some dust or dirt inside the glass. Can that be with a new glass? More like left in the right channel. Looks almost like small water splashes. Is that the case with your Habicht?
thanks for Info and Sorry for Bad English. Work with a translator.

[email protected]

Supporter
I, too, have ordered a Habicht 7x42 GA. Six to eight weeks delivery time - meh.
They have the Habicht 7x42 GA in stock at Teleskop-Express and you will get them in about 4 days with DHL Express shipping. This is where I got my Habicht 10x40 GA. They are one of the few places that actually stock the Habicht GA. The other dealers have them drop shipped from Swarovski hence the long wait. Excellent service and highly recommended.

[email protected]

Supporter
Swarovski do not sell the Habichts in the USA so I had to order from a 'grey importer'.
You can also buy the Habicht 7x42 GA on eBay.

Sterngucker

RⒶdneck
United States
They have the Habicht 7x42 GA in stock at Teleskop-Express and you will get them in about 4 days with DHL Express shipping. This is where I got my Habicht 10x40 GA. They are one of the few places that actually stock the Habicht GA. The other dealers have them drop shipped from Swarovski hence the long wait. Excellent service and highly recommended.
Thanks for the heads-up.

You can also buy the Habicht 7x42 GA on eBay.
No thank you.

I have already ordered as posted in #28.

Users who are viewing this thread