• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 7x42 GA (1 Viewer)

Bill, that's a lot of talking but no answering my question.

Thanks for the lack of help. I guess we'll all just have to buy your book huh?

Bill, that's a lot of talking but no answering my question.

Thanks for the lack of help. I guess we'll all just have to buy your book huh?
My friend, I ANSWERED your question MUCH more than your comments deserve. After giving away the answer to all who would listen—FREE—for decades, I put it in writing in two books, several magazine articles, and dozens of lectures, and using my Mk5 and a Fujinon U.B.M.M. collimator for anyone of my customers who were interested, I will not be coerced to divulge it in its entirety to the lazy or the cheap! I wouldn't feel that way AT ALL had you not come on flexing your few months on Birdforum, trying to upstage my 17 years here, my 52 years in optics technology and engineering, or thousands of collimation jobs. Dries1 in post 62 has the books, as does Holger, Gijs, Gary Hawkins, Steve C, NDhunter, Perterra, Maljunulo, and several others. Perhaps you could talk one of them into training you. You have FORCED me to take the high road.

PLEASE back it down a notch that we might be friends. I realize that binocular forums are built around ~97% unfettered speculation and opinion, most ranging from silly, through irrelevant, to wrong. However, you will occasionally find a person who doesn't feel the need to play that game.

Last edited:
My friend, I ANSWERED your question MUCH more than your comments deserve. After giving away the answer to all who would listen—FREE—for decades, I put it in writing in two books, several magazine articles, and dozens of lectures, and using my Mk5 and a Fujinon U.B.M.M. collimator for anyone of my customers who were interested, I will not be coerced to divulge it in its entirety to the lazy or the cheap! I wouldn't feel that way AT ALL had you not come on flexing your few months on Birdforum, trying to upstage my 17 years here, my 52 years in optics technology and engineering, or thousands of collimation jobs. Dries1 in post 62 has the books, as does Holger, Gijs, Gary Hawkins, Steve C, NDhunter, Perterra, Maljunulo, and several others. Perhaps you could talk one of them into training you. You have FORCED me to take the high road.

PLEASE back it down a notch that we might be friends. I realize that binocular forums are built around ~97% unfettered speculation and opinion, most ranging from silly, through irrelevant, to wrong. However, you will occasionally find a person who doesn't feel the need to play that game.
What are the two books, please?

What are the two books, please?
Understanding & Attaining 3-Axis Binocular Collimation

And:

BINOCULARS: Fallacy & Fact: The Instruments, The Industry and You

I just searched and found them. After reading the reviews I can see why he got so offended by my comments above!

As to whether the books answer the mystery of how to collimate binoculars, or whether it's even possible without a "Mk5 and a Fujinon U.B.M.M. collimator", we may never know.

In order that this exchange hasn't been a complete waste of time for anyone reading it, here's how I have conditionally collimated porro prism binoculars:

1. Wait till night time. Mount them on a Tripod, parallelogram, bench rest etc, pointing at a bright star or planet. It should be a pin point.

2. Achieve focus in one eye. Use the diopter adjustment in the other eye to get it out of focus. It should be a blurry patch.

3. Now your brain won't try to merge your left and right eyes. Turn the adjustment screws until the pinpoint is in the centre of the blurry patch.

4. That's it, done.

To find the collimation screws, here's a couple pics from oberwerk. If you don't have collimation screws in those locations, I can't help you! :

There is no practical difference between conditionally collimated binoculars using the obove method, and expensive (impossible without the right equipment?) 3 axis collimation.

Prove me wrong boys!

Blah blah blah.
You seem very immature and emotional for an old fella.

Your expertise is not in question, your attitude is. I'm not going to be bullied by you because you're an expert on binoculars.

Especially when 90% of your posts here and elsewhere are basically a sales pitch for your books.

If I'm breaking the rules of the forum, report me. If you're breaking the rules of the forum, stop it.

Apparently Bill is not allowed to mention them here, but try a google search with Bill Cook binocular fact collimation.
That should get you there. I have the first one, which is informative and entertaining.

John
Thank you. I can see myself going that way (although some of the comments/'reviews' on that big anti-union slavedriving site aren't exactly flattering).

Thank you. I can see myself going that way (although some of the comments/'reviews' on that big anti-union slavedriving site aren't exactly flattering).
I share your opinion on that company, though must admit to being an occasional customer :(.
Another recommendation, although a completely different approach, is "Handferngläser," by Holger Merlitz.
I have the first edition and there is now a revised edition. However, if like me, your maths is no longer up to Abitur-Leistungsfach standard, you will probably have to skip half of it ;).

John

Last edited:
You seem very immature and emotional for an old fella.

Your expertise is not in question, your attitude is. I'm not going to be bullied by you because you're an expert on binoculars.

Especially when 90% of your posts here and elsewhere are basically a sales pitch for your books.

If I'm breaking the rules of the forum, report me. If you're breaking the rules of the forum, stop it.
There is NO SECRET to the fact that for years I have encouraged people to come up with more modern techniques for performing the task. The Mk5 and the U.B.M.M. are just TOOLS. The KNOWLEDGE of the procedure should be enough to inspire inquisitive technicians for the benefit of so many.

“You seem very immature and emotional for an old fella.”

Let’s examine that.

“IMMATURE.” Right on! I went through maturity for about 2 weeks, in the 10th grade. IT WASN’T FUN ... SO I QUIT!

“EMOTIONAL.”
Right on, again! Of all the many anomalies observers like to bellyache over, collimation is the ONLY ONE observers could do anything about short of buying a new binocular. Because of that, I DO GET emotional when I consistently see a stream of people trying to pump their ego by coming up with some new ways to circumvent the science of 3-Axis Collimation ... but never do. This is why Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Nikon, and others follow the science. Even Vortex uses a U.B.M.M.

“Your expertise is not in question, your attitude is. I'm not going to be bullied by you because you're an expert on binoculars.”

That makes us even. With all due respect, I’m not going to be bullied by someone whose ego is head and shoulders are above his ability to reason. The first attachment is from that first book, and explains exactly why I do things the way I do. The more “MATURE” observers understand and appreciate the effort and approach. Having been attacked for so long—by some, to whom thinking is not their strong suit—I started collecting attaboys from CN and BF. I could lay a hundred or so on you (see attached). But your having disregarded quotes from Swarovski, Zeiss, Stephen Tonkin and others I can see it would be a waste of time in that honesty and accuracy apparently don’t fit into your AGENDA.

“When I first came to Cloudy Nights, I thought you were the biggest jerk in the world. Since then, I have read a lot and used several different binoculars and see you have been right about things straight down the line. You have taught me a lot and I thank you.”
— Mttafire

“Especially when 90% of your posts here and elsewhere are basically a sales pitch for your books.”

That statement is a BALD FACED LIE!!!!!!! PLEASE prove it or admit you were wrong.

With collimation being talked about so much and the would be experts being so wrong, I do my best to make others know of the books. From what I have seen lately, they wouldn’t hurt you, either.

But then, the third attachment will show the number of books I have sold so far in the month. I must be rolling in dough ... right? (See attachment #3)

There is a little more to 3-Axis Collimation than having a jeweler’s screwdriver. You have drawn information from Oberwerk. Well, let me tell you a story about Oberwerk.

A Story: OM1 Cory Suddarth (S.O.R, Suddarth Optical Repair) worked with me aboard USS Grand Canyon and for me (OMC Cook) for about 7 years at Captain’s in Seattle. Knowing Kevin Busarow (owner of Oberwerk), we TRIED to get him to understand the difference between binocular collimation (opto-mechanical) and Conditional Alignment (physiological, based on the observer’s level of spatial accommodation). When Kevin saw me ON CLOUDY NIGHTS trying to raise the bar of understanding, he apparently thought I was somehow trying to hurt his business and produced 2 videotapes for sale showing how conditional alignment was a “myth,” stating that he could, “collimate a binocular to 100-power by eyeballing it.”

Kevin backed off a little when professors at the College of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona and leaders of SPIE invited me to lecture on the subject at their 2012 San Diego convention.

But then, with Cory doing much of his repair and collimation work, he went to one of his Collimation with a Mk 5 Collimator seminars and learned what we had been trying to tell him for over 15 years. After that, he purchased a Mk 5 collimator that I had sold to a company in southern California. Now he knows, “Conditional Alignment” isn’t a myth and is taking full advantage of the collimator that he “didn’t need.” (see attachment 4)

Please give him a call and tell him what I said. First, he knows he was out of line and very WRONG in his comments—he didn’t understand about spatial accommodation. He also knows I have considered him a friend for years, and, if needed, I would give him the shirt off my back, and do anything I could to help him in his business. So, please, make a fool of yourself.

“You seem very immature and over-confident in your opto-ignorance and emotional for an old a young fella.”

Finally, I offer my hand, again. We have each said our peace. Can we now be friends?

If not, can we at least agree to disagree, agreeably?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 10.53.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 10.53.51 AM.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 11.04.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 11.04.12 AM.png
    271.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 11.24.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 11.24.01 AM.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 9.23.08 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 9.23.08 AM copy.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I reckon there's more to it than my idea of looking through them, and seeing if your eyes are relaxed.😅
I think this fella knows a bit about this😯

Nice gesture at the end WJC

Bill, I stand by everything I said here and see no need to repeat myself.

I'm sure you're a good man and I do respect your expertise.

I'm well aware of the difference between conditional alignment and 3 axis alignment.

As I said in my reply to you in post #56, it doesn't help anyone to tell them that they are doing something wrong, unless you're going to help them by explaining how to do it right.

I understand that the only way to get the answer out of you is to buy your books and hope that the answer is contained within.

The procedure I described in comment #66 is still the best and indeed only option for most of us and I'll continue to recommend it to people who receive binoculars that are out of collimation, because it works successfully.

I would love to be proved wrong with that or anything I've ever said. But that would require proof. Not just being told "You're wrong".

If anyone knows a better way to collimate binoculars, please enlighten us.

The only reason I can think of as to why you won't share your knowledge here is because you want people to buy your book.

No hard feelings though Bill, my only disagreement with you is that you think you're being helpful by telling people they're wrong. I think I'm being more helpful by telling people how to get a (conditionally) collimated image out of their binoculars.

🍻

Steve.

Last edited:
Well the good news is that to date the only adjustment I've had need to make on my pair of 7X42 GA's is via the central focusing knob and right-hand dioptre.

LGM

Bill has previously posted a copy of an 18 page paper on Binocular Collimation verses Conditional Alignment, that he’d contributed to SPIE
(the international society for optics and photonics). It can be found in post #9 at: How are roofs colimated?

It includes images of different instruments that can be used to accomplish the 3-axis collimation of binoculars
i.e. where the axis of each optical tube is parallel with the hinge axis, so that collimation exists across the full range of IPD settings.
The text also addresses various issued raised previously in this thread.

John

The only reason I can think of as to why you won't share your knowledge here is because you want people to buy your book.
I used to build bicycle wheels as a hobby and have a couple of books on the subject.
Other than answering a specific question, I can't imagine trying to explain such a complex topic in an internet post any more than one could expect Bill to distill the contents of his book on collimation into a post on Birdforum.

John

Bill has previously posted a copy of an 18 page paper on Binocular Collimation verses Conditional Alignment, that he’d contributed to SPIE
(the international society for optics and photonics). It can be found in post #9 at: How are roofs colimated?

It includes images of different instruments that can be used to accomplish the 3-axis collimation of binoculars
i.e. where the axis of each optical tube is parallel with the hinge axis, so that collimation exists across the full range of IPD settings.
The text also addresses various issued raised previously in this thread.

John
Thank you John, truly very helpful, as always.

I used to build bicycle wheels as a hobby and have a couple of books on the subject.
Other than answering a specific question, I can't imagine trying to explain such a complex topic in an internet post any more than one could expect Bill to distill the contents of his book on collimation into a post on Birdforum.

John
Do you run around bicycle forums insulting people and telling them they're wrong, then offering people no useful advice other than to buy your books?

Do you run around bicycle forums insulting people and telling them they're wrong, then offering people no useful advice other than to buy your books?
I didn't write the books :).
However, I have had heated arguments with people who refused to believe that loads are carried by the bottom spokes in compression rather the upper spokes in tension and, that with cross-lacing, torque can be transmitted by tension and compression.
If anyone doubts this, then listen to the tone of plucked spokes in the unloaded and loaded condition.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back