• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 7x42 GA (1 Viewer)

I didn't write the books :).
However, I have had heated arguments with people who refused to believe that loads are carried by the bottom spokes in compression rather the upper spokes in tension and, that with cross-lacing, torque can be transmitted by tension and compression.
If anyone doubts this, then listen to the tone of plucked spokes in the unloaded and loaded condition.

John
Oh I misunderstood, I thought you were the author ☺

I believe you're correct about spokes, I've built spoked wheels for motorcycles, what you say makes sense.

What Bill says makes sense too, but how does it help? What action can anyone take?

Are the only options:

1. Conditional collimation as I described (and is there any downside to that other than ipd changes?).

2: Buy Bill's books and hope that you learn something practical.

?

Oh I misunderstood, I thought you were the author ☺

I believe you're correct about spokes, I've built spoked wheels for motorcycles, what you say makes sense.

What Bill says makes sense too, but how does it help? What action can anyone take?

Are the only options:

1. Conditional collimation as I described (and is there any downside to that other than ipd changes?).

2: Buy Bill's books and hope that you learn something practical.

?
Mr. Kelby:

On page 4, Post 79 you wrote to John (Tringa45):

“Do you run around bicycle forums insulting people and telling them they're wrong, then offering people no useful advice other than to buy your books?”

On page 5, post 81 you wrote John:

“2: Buy Bill's books and hope that you learn something practical.”

The only people who have been insulted, are those who fail to read and pay attention. Should I name names?! You want to learn something practical? Where have you been? You apparently find it easier to condemn and spread damning and inaccurate words than do any research of your own. Had you done so, you would have noticed that John Roberts, from your country, pointed out that I have published the EXACT STEPS to 3-Axis Collimation on THIS VERY FORUM.

As John Wayne has supposedly said:

“I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what YOU understand.”

I have THOROUGHLY EXPLAINED the methodology in repeated articles, Internet posts, and lectures for 45 years. I explained it in my magazine ATM Journal starting in the early 1990s. (See attachment #1) I started explaining it on Cloudy Nights in 2004. I started explaining it on BirdForum in 2005. I explained it to all who were interested, while at the collimator, during all my time at Captain’s.

You wonder why I get so emotional?! Well, many people are damaging their expensive binoculars while following the imprudent techniques and contrivances on the Internet and some won’t give it up after all my best efforts have been exhausted! And then, people come out of the woodwork (like you) to act as if I have kept everything a secret to sell a book or two. Yes, it’s frustrating; it’s maddening. Your accusations have been neither honorable nor accurate!

“The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it’s the ILLUSION of knowledge.” — Dr. Stephen Hawking

And boy do those amateur screw-tweaker thrive on their illusions of collimation! If CoAl is all you need, like Kevin at Oberwerk didn’t understand, you’ll be fine. BUT THAT’S NOT COLLIMATION, it’s CONDITIONAL ALIGNMENT. And to say it is, may be detrimental to others and the science. Would you call a horse a cow, because they both have 4 legs? Would you call a duckling and eagle, because they both have two wings. Even as forceful as I have been, I still can only make tiny DENTS in the bad science afoot. I am doing the best I can with the most effective method I know. With binocular forums thriving on opinions, you have to use a 20-megaton to do what elsewhere might be done with a flyswatter. I’m just trying the reach the 2-3% who have the interest to care and the intellect to understand. If YOU are offended, I am sorry.

“The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who can’t fly.” —Fredrich Nietzsche

But then, I am known for sticking my head on the block for others.

— In a nautical store in a seafaring city, I ignored the money that could be easily made selling, drumroll, please ... “AUTO-FOCUS BINOCULARS” to people who slept through 7th through 10th grade science, to face the fierce opposition trying to tell my customers the truth—and PROVE IT.

— For many years I have been on the front lines of telling people that Celestron, Meade, Bushnell, TASCO, Minolta, Swift, Jason, and many others DIDN’T MAKE binoculars or have the infrastructure to do so. Heck, Jason, TASCO, and Bushnell all come out of the same warehouse in Overland Park, Kansas. And even when B&L was the premier binocular manufacturer in the United States, much of their pre-war inventory came from ZEISS. I don’t expect the Aunt Myrtles and Uncle Jesses’ across the heartland to know this. But why shoot me because I do and want to raise the bar of opto-understanding for all?

— I have been trying for years—and, of course, meeting with much resistance—to make people see that AR coatings only have a perceived “tint” that is actually the wavelength reflected, and much of the “Improvement” the observer sees in their new “UPGRADED” binocular is NOT coming from coatings but baffling, prism shields, edge blackening, size and positioning of the field stops, knife edges on those stops, prism types, slotted prisms (in Porro prism instruments), configuration of the eyepieces, and considerations other than coatings. And all this because so many observers believe if they don’t know about it through their short time bino observing that it must not exist.

Today, I am trying to get people to understand Spatial and Dioptric Accommodation as mentioned on the last two pages of my front page article in Times of the Islands (PDF attached #2).

— And I have stood my ground trying to get people to understand that they don’t always see what they think they do. In the last image, both dots are exactly the same brightness; it’s the background that makes them seem of different brightnesses.

And when I’ve licked my wounds from all I am currently trying to do, I’m going to start telling people about spherochromatism. These days, some folks go weaking the knees if they have a binocular that will focus on the tops of their shoes, oblivious to what they’re sacrificing in distance viewing—where most of the birds are. As Aristotle was prone to say, “Ain’t no free lunch, Dude!”

And no, I don’t know everything; ‘never claimed to. It’s just that most those who do wouldn’t touch one of these “opinion mills” with a ten-foot pole. Be grateful you have Holger.

Mr. Kelby, I have answered all your charges with text, examples, testimonials, and graphics. I’m going to have to let you say what you want of me. Seeing how I feel confident that you won’t let this go, you seem to be a TAIL violently upset because you don’t have enough facts in your quiver to WAG THE DOG! ........... Woof!

If you ever want to be the person you expect me to be, you’ll find my hand outstretched, still.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 11.06.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 11.06.14 AM.png
    970.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Times of the Islands 220125.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.12.49 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.12.49 AM copy.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Bill, post 82,
It is a pity you live so far away otherwise I had invited you for a nice dinner. I like you.
Gijs van Ginkel
Hi, Gijs,

It's the thought that counts, my friend. But are you really sure? You know me better than most. Are you really sure you would have me in your home? After all, have you not seen what a horrible person I am with such a horrific agenda? Some people are just gluttons for punishment, I suppose.

'Hope you and yours are all well. The fellow who got Debbie and me together (44 years ago), has just been quarantined in Genoa for two weeks. As for us, we're experiencing the biggest snowfall since we moved to Twin Falls.

What's up with you and yours?

Hi Steven (post #81),

If you search on the net you can find the manual TM9-1580 TO 38-1-1 'Ordnance Maintenance Binoculars M3 [and others]' dated 1953,
for use by the US Army and Air Force.

To quote 'This manual contains a description of and procedures for inspection, disassembly, repair, rebuild, and assembly of binoculars . . .'
It includes the details of the operation of instruments used for 3-axis collimation (see page 32 on), and step-by-step instructions as to their use (page 114 on).
It should help make clear what’s required for and the technical complexity of the task.

The manual also addresses other considerations in correctly adjusting a binocular’s optics (page 107 on).

John

Hi Steven (post #81),

If you search on the net you can find the manual TM9-1580 TO 38-1-1 'Ordnance Maintenance Binoculars M3 [and others]' dated 1953,
for use by the US Army and Air Force.

To quote 'This manual contains a description of and procedures for inspection, disassembly, repair, rebuild, and assembly of binoculars . . .'
It includes the details of the operation of instruments used for 3-axis collimation (see page 32 on), and step-by-step instructions as to their use (page 114 on).
It should help make clear what’s required for and the technical complexity of the task.

The manual also addresses other considerations in correctly adjusting a binocular’s optics (page 107 on).

John
At the top of the first attachment is OM1 Cory Suddarth of Suddarth Optical Repair and HIS on the road collimator ... a C-8 telescope. The second shot is the reticle of my Navy Mk5 collimator. Cory has two or three of these. Notice that the Mk5 has a graduated reticle. THAT IS CONVENIENT but unnecessary. The telescope offers only a dot of light. However, it's super convenient and 3-Axis Collimation requires only that one dot be superimposed on the other. Attached is a photo of the manual John referenced. At the top it says "For Reference Only." This was a big let down ... I had hoped to use it to wash the dishes or change a tire.

Like many other things in the military, we go rapidly from the sublime to the ridiculous. Chief Stagg (to Cory and Me) was in Army optics before joining the Navy. He told me their collimation setup involved a 10-penny nail head, in a 2x4 at 100 yards. can you say "Conditional alignment?"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.06.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.06.36 PM.png
    430.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 12.30.37 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 12.30.37 PM copy.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.29.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.29.09 PM.png
    411.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
7 take it, from this thread, that the 7x42 Habicht required frequent recollimation?

Not much of a selling point…lol

I take it, from this thread, that the 7x42 Habicht required frequent recollimation?

These binoculars are probably among the least likely to need collimation, .
However, they are just a lightening rod for the perennial 'porros are always miscollimated' discussion and as you've noted, facts here are always subject to extensive challenge.
Imho, they would not be still in production, after 75 years, if they were anything other than outstanding.

These binoculars are probably among the least likely to need collimation, .

Time for the story of my 10x40 Habicht (same construction as the 7x42). It fell from the top a 19" coffee table onto a carpet and was knocked out of collimation. Fixed under warranty by Swarovski, of course, but I'm no longer inclined to place too much confidence in the spring clips that hold Porro prisms in place.

I take it, from this thread, that the 7x42 Habicht required frequent recollimation?

...and I'll bet hardly any Habicht-owners are going to be opening up their 7x42/10x40/8x30 and adjusting eccentric rings on their home-made collimator - even if they were familiar enough with the "Koran of Kollimation" to recite it backwards...

...and I'll bet hardly any Habicht-owners are going to be opening up their 7x42/10x40/8x30 and adjusting eccentric rings on their home-made collimator - even if they were familiar enough with the "Koran of Kollimation" to recite it backwards...

Hi

I did it on my 8x30 a few years back after a particularly hard fall on rock during a hike which severely dented the objective cover as well. Not really difficult to perform. I'm still enjoying these today.

Cheers
zp*

Time for the story of my 10x40 Habicht (same construction as the 7x42). It fell from the top a 19" coffee table onto a carpet and was knocked out of collimation. Fixed under warranty by Swarovski, of course, but I'm no longer inclined to place too much confidence in the spring clips that hold Porro prisms in place.
Hi Henry.
Just interested... as I've never hid my love of Habichts, although never owned any....... yet😖
I was always under the impression that they are really solid, old school binos, very rugged.
Your experience would suggest otherwise.
What do you mean about spring clips, are these a problem, and what is the difference between these and roofs in that respect
Thanks in advance
Rg

Henri, post 91,
If you look into binocular history you will see that many military organisations use different kind of porro's and treatment of these porros is quite a bit rougher than falling on a carpet. We have many porros from different production years in our cupboards and some of them you can really drop on a concrete floor without any problem. We had a demonstration of it once during a visit at the Zeiss facility in Wetzlar and the head of quality control demonstrated it to us. He talked with us in a casual way, holding the porro in his hands ( a military 8x30) and "by accident" he dropped it on the concrete floor. Nothing wrong with the binocular as we could see ourselves. The Swedish military uses the 7x42 Habicht in their army and I have not heard rumors about problems.
Gijs van Ginkel

Last week I dropped my Habicht 10x40 GA by accident on a wooden floor from approximate 150 cm and luckily nothing happened. But I will try my best not to drop it again...

Rg and Gijs,

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the Habichts have any special problems, but when any binocular takes a fall, even one that seems minor, all bets are off.

I'm sure you both remember Swarovski's effort to make a more shock resistant Porro, the SL. A local dealer liked to demonstrate those by bouncing them across the floor and into the far wall.

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back