• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Swarovski habicht 7x42 (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
Forgive me for a personal observation. Why a rubber 8 x 30 Habicht.… why would you take a perfectly elegant, beautifully crafted fully waterproof binocular then add a bunch of weight and a whole bunch ugly to it. Why?
It makes it tougher and more durable for the hunters with the rubber armour and the one big advantage is the GA version has bigger diameter eye cups than the W version, so they don't sink into your eye sockets as bad causing black-outs. You can get the bigger diameter green eye cups for the GA from Swarovski and put them on the W version, but then you have green eye cups on a black binocular, which really doesn't look right. You have to remember the Habichts especially the GA version were designed to be a lightweight, bright very tough hunting binocular for the mountains in Austria. The Habichts with their tight focusers were really not designed for birding where you have to focus a lot. A hunter usually leaves the focus at infinity and glasses large areas looking for game, and they don't want the focus to change. The older model Habichts had a yellowish tint that might have improved contrast. The NL and EL are really Swarovski's top birding binoculars.

Last edited:

henry link

Forgive me for a personal observation. Why a rubber 8 x 30 Habicht.… why would you take a perfectly elegant, beautifully crafted fully waterproof binocular then add a bunch of weight and a whole bunch ugly to it. Why?
I guess there's no accounting for taste. I prefer the eyecup, handling and, believe it or not, even the looks of the rubber armored Habichts, but I much prefer the looks of old specimens of either version, before the brand bling was splashed across the front.

Paultricounty

United States
I guess there's no accounting for taste. I prefer the eyecup, handling and, believe it or not, even the looks of the rubber armored Habichts, but I much prefer the looks of old specimens of either version, before the brand bling was splashed across the front.
I was being a bit facetious and opinionated. I think the are all beautiful. They look very elegant with the leather wrap and more military in the rubber armor. And the older ones from 20 years ago even look more elegant.
Thank you

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread