• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 8x30 vs. Zeiss Victory FL. (1 Viewer)

pluton

Hello,
I have used with some frequency, but not everything I want since they are from a friend, some Swarovski Habicht 8x30, I like them, they are sharp and light, very easy to use, I think they have a great quality, I like this format , and thinking now about buying some of this format, 8x30 or 8x32 ... (I also thought about 10x32 ..) I have heard very well about the Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 / 10X32 model, has anyone been able to compare them?
Thank you very much.
Pluto.

I would say that they are very different animals.

Both very well made binoculars, with a feeling of endless quality the moment you hold them in their hands. The Habicht has a certain timeless sense of craftmanship, it oozes charm, while the FL feels like a hi-tech well-thought F1 car: it is plastic, but don’t let that fool you.
For my medium sized hands both feel great. Their weight is almost the same, but they feel very different. The Habicht creates a sense of “pleasure”, so to speak. The same feeling you get when you use a quality knife or a classic fountain pen. The FL feels more like a technical tool to get a precision work done in the most efficient way; maybe not the cutest, but with the beauty of engineering (and this can also give the pleasure of efficiency, so to speak).

The view is very good in both, but could not be more different. The approach to excellent view is just galaxies away, as you probably know.
The Habicht is so sharp that it makes you feel you have superpowers in your eyesight; in my case, it made me feel I was watching some oneiric images from dreams that looked more real than reality itself (if you know what I mean): it is that sharp and bright. However, that otherworldly acuity comes at a price: the field is wide but the sweet spot is not the widest, in difficult (or not so difficult) light situations it suffers from glare, which can make it a bit of a pain (especially for birdwatching), and the focus can be pretty stiff, which can make you miss some fast flying birds. Then (on a personal note) the eyecups on the Habicht were just too small for my eye sockets. I wrote Swarovski and they sent me the green ones from the GA armoured version (free of charge!). That made a difference and improved things, but still I found it to be a “difficult” binocular for birding intensively for many hours.

The FL (to my eyes) is not as sharp as the Habicht and also lacks the 3D effect you get from porros, so the image is both less sharp and flatter, which renders it a bit “duller”; well, don’t get me wrong, we’re talking about an image as dull as a +1500 € image can be ;) So, thew view through the FL is by all means very good, but just doesn’t have that spark/pop you find on the Habicht. On the other hand: the focus on the FL is great, as is the view in general terms, all the accesorires, the extremely comfortable eyecups (I’ve read people complaining about the ease of view, but for me the 8x32 FL are just perfect, and I tend to be quite anal about eye positioning).
My experience with both Zeiss and Swarovski customer service has been stellar (I’ve sent them a number of binoculars and eyepieces and always got a stunning response; usually free of charge). So I think you would be covered there.

So, my conclusion: say you have other binocular as your main binocular and you want something for casual use (like enjoying a landscape or some light birdwatching), the Habicht can really shine. Simply put: it provides pleasure, it is as simple as that, they are a joy… but not if you want to use them intensively for hours and hours birdwatching. The FL are just stunning nearly perfect in every way, hard to fault in any respect, but the view is not as sharp or “pleasurable”, for me they lack that last “wow” to justify the price (I have had 2 units… tried to love it, but sold both). Yesterday I was reading a review of the Nikon EDG by Tobias Mennle and just Ioved it when he said that those binoculars were perfect for “colour maniacs”. Something similar could be said about the Habicht, perfect for sharpness (on axis!) and brightness maniacs. I sold my Habicht, but if I had endless resources I would have one 8x30 Habicht in my wardrobe just for the sheer pleasure of using them once in a while; however, I just find them unsuitable (for my taste and preference) as a birding-dedicated binocular. The FL can really shine there (well, they should, because they around twice the price!), it is a wonder of efficiency (small, light, bright), really a top-notch device.

I hope this helps.

Yarrellii, pretty much covered the differences between the two binocular's pretty well. The Habicht is kind of like a Ferrari you take out on a spin once in awhile but it is not a good day to day all around birding binocular like the Zeiss 8x32 FL because of it's tight focuser, it show's a LOT of glare and has too small of eye cups. IMO the Zeiss 8x32 FL is the 2nd best 8x32 out there with the Nikon EDG 8x32 1st but if I were you and you are going to spend alpha money anyway I would wait for latest and greatest from Zeiss and get the new SF 8x32. The Zeiss 8x32 FL is good but it is getting a little long in the tooth. Another binocular to look at if you are considering an 8x30 and you want to stay around $1K is the Swarovski CL 8x30 which is a much better all around birding binocular than the Habicht 8x30W and it has about the same FOV with sharper edges and much better glare control and a much easier focuser and it is smaller and lighter. Holger compared the two below.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/old_vs_new/habicht_cl_8x30.html

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks to both of you for your comments, I have always considered this 8X30 / 8x32 model as a good niche for regular observations and throughout the day ... I find that the models that are not totally waterproof, maybe the Swaro Habicht or the Nikon 8x30 II ..

Pluton, while the E2 is not waterproof (although I think it can stand a light shower or even more; probably you'll have more problems with internal fogging; I've had it) the Habicht is indeed totally waterproof, according to Swarovski specs (and who am I to doubt Swarovski specs). I remember taking them to a boat trip in Tenerife to watch whales; they got a decent amount of sea spray, but I rinsed them under the tap (carefully) and they held just like champs.

The CL is also a nice binocular, but altogether a different class to the FL, both in shape, size and aspiration, I guess.
I must confess that the FL has never blown me away (I've had two, and ended up selling both). It is very nice, but I personally find it lags behind others in terms of sharpness and contrast (Habicth or the Leica Ultravid HD, for example). Many other forum members don't think the way I do and love their FL... and this is the beauty of it all, isn't it? :)

I think that if you can find a CL at good price you can be very happy with it.

As for the Habicht, who knows, maybe it is the right binocular for you, but I find it has many limitations for "pure birding" :)
The Nikon 8x30 E2 is just lovely. Optically is not as sharp or bright as the Habicht, it doesn't have that "pop" of the Swarovski, but then the FOV is wider and the focus is much nicer (as are de eyecups, for me personally) which makes it a better "birding device". So, given the difference in price (almost double), I'd say for me the E2 is better value, although this is really a matter of taste; YMMV, as they say :) Obviously (there's always a "but"), the E2 is not without flaws. It is not fully waterproof, is not rubber armoured, is not very comfortable to wear around the neck on long walks (because it tilts forward) and the eyecups have no intermediate positions (it is whether up or down; and I'd love an intermediate position to enjoy a wider FOV). But otherwise it is a real gem. I just love mine, it is so pleasurable. A joy, really :)

Right now there is one for sale in Wallapop for 300 €, which is a great price, and the seller deserves confidence (disclaimer: I don't have anything to do with him, but I’ve dealt with him in the past). Maybe it's worth a look.

I am very prone to the black out effect, I do not wear glasses, I will look at this model, although I prefer an integral waterproof ...
Thank you very much

By the way, this morning I was observing birds, with some other birders, and one of them had the Swarovski CL pocket 10x25 ... I could take a look with them, it hurts that they were 10X for my trembling hands, although when I could support the image shown was authentically fantastic, how can a small 25mm give an image of this caliber? and they could also be handled very well, with a good diameter eyepieces, ... in short, it is making me rethink my decision ...
Anyone who has used it here ..?
Cheers,

Hi,

if you want to go 8x25 (which is a bit too small fr may taste - I prefer 8x30/32), the Zeiss Victory 8x25 is also a very good idea to try.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back