• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

But ordering a new binocular in that price range is "normal"? Without having seen it before? Really?

I think it's ludicrous.

Hermann

I agree in a way Hermann, but for us EU guys it seems to be a lot easier to try one in real life before you buy.
Some people in the bigger countries do not have this possibility, and they need to order online, or drive several hundreds or even thousand miles to see one in real life.
Luckily for them, most online retailers have a good return policy, so they can also try before they buy.

My optics dealer is only 10 km away from me, and I asked if he would set aside both a 8x and 10x for me. He called me when they were in, and had the possibility to make my decision over there. If I wasn't impressed with the NL, I would probably have bought a SF, NV or EL.
Unfortunately not everyone has got that luxury, and it makes things a lot easier.

Gijs

But ordering a new binocular in that price range is "normal"? Without having seen it before? Really?
I think it's ludicrous.
Hermann

I agree in a way Hermann, but for us EU guys it seems to be a lot easier to try one in real life before you buy. Some people in the bigger countries do not have this possibility, and they need to order online, or drive several hundreds or even thousand miles to see one in real life.
Luckily for them, most online retailers have a good return policy, so they can also try before they buy.
Gijs

Exactly. Just my state has 660,000 square miles (Alaska). Germany covers an area of approximately 137,847 square miles. We don’t always have ready access to the latest and greatest of the Big Three. I would not have been able to purchase my Noctivid 8X42 had I expected to handle one first; and certainly not my Zeiss 7X50 Mariners. I’ve yet to see either one in a display case. Ever. Tonight, I’m over at midwayusa’s web site considering one of the four 8x42 NL Pures they have in stock 3,700+ Miles (6,000 kilometers) from me. But they can have it to me the next day.

I never had a problem with a binocular return to gr8fulldoug over at CameraLand when the item was not what was expected. My $4,300 MacBook Pro was ludicrously ordered sight unseen in view of Apple’s fifteen day no questions asked return policy.

My Noctivid with my constant companion Moses.

Attachments

• 16979B8D-498C-457F-B6D0-6FD52F9E72D5.jpeg
    16979B8D-498C-457F-B6D0-6FD52F9E72D5.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.50.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.50.47 AM.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Exactly. Just my state has 660,000 square miles (Alaska). Germany covers an area of approximately 137,847 square miles. We don’t always have ready access to the latest and greatest of the Big Three. I would not have been able to purchase my Noctivid 8X42 had I expected to handle one first; and certainly not my Zeiss 7X50 Mariners. I’ve yet to see either one in a display case. Ever. Tonight, I’m over at midwayusa’s web site considering one of the four 8x42 NL Pures they have in stock. Sight unseen.

I never had a problem with a binocular return to gr8fulldoug over at CameraLand when the item was not what was expected. My $4,300 MacBook Pro was ludicrously ordered sight unseen in view of Apple’s fifteen day no questions asked return policy.

Like you I have bought many and I mean many high end items like these sight unseen etc etc and no issues here what ever.. There are so many online stores that are great to deal with if you know whom they are..

Done same thing like you also with my new macBook Pro..:)

Just got my NL 8x42 and all I can say is WOW! I agree with Arek from Allbinos. I have had over 100 binoculars and I would say it is the BEST binocular I have ever looked through or used...... The NL is probably the most perfect binocular I have ever tried......

So is your NL for sale on eeebay yet ...... ?? |:p|

Chosun :gh:

I must admit that I have intensively used EL's 8x32 from 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2012, the EL 8,5x42 from 2000 and 2009 and the EL 10x42 from 2000 on all kinds of viewing conditions and it never occurred to me that the image was disturbed by internal reflections and I can assure you that we hae a number of binoculars in our cupboards to show students what happens when internal reflections can be observed.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,
With the understanding that you (and many others) do not personally see any glare issues with the series, would you have any explanation as to why many others (such as myself) see glare with the EL SV? In particular, the 8x32 SV is the WORST binocular in terms of glare I have ever used or owned, literally making the binoculars unusable under certain conditions.
I ask because some users have already reported glare "issues" with the NL Pure, so I wonder if whatever design eature causes it for some users of the EL will also cause users of the NL to see the same glare.
Note that I currently own a 8.5x42 EL FP and although I see glare towards the bottom of the view in some conditions, it is not in any way as problematic as what I saw with the 8x32 model.
Justin

Last edited:
But surely all these alleged flaws are forgotten once you install the funky forehead rest?

My only criticism of the NL is the forehead rest should not be an optional extra.

LGM

What a pleasant change - a brief, to the point resume from an owner/user, without any grandstanding, arm-waving, sensationalism or gainsay. I tip my hat to you sir. I'd much rather consider opinions like yours if I was buying than much of the pure speculation which appears here. As a long-standing Swaro user, only one factor preludes my purchase of an NL - the insane price - IMHO, of course.

RB

Thank you Rotherbirder for your kind words.

Firstly, no argument on the price. They are indeed reassuringly expensive! Research and development comes at a premium as does assured customer warranty/service in the unfortunate event of future issues.

Further fairly extensive use since my original posting leads me to endorse my initial view. These are lovely binoculars to use and the wide field of view still raises a smile every time!

I’ve read elsewhere of some finding they inadvertently move the diopter setting. This has not yet happened to me. The ‘glare’ of which many have spoken, again I’m either not prone to seeing or I’m certainly not seeing to any extent that it is ruining my visual experience.

Finally, I’ve now also received my FRP forehead rest. Several attempts at using this though not problematic left me really searching for a perceptible improvement. Perhaps it will be useful in the higher powers, but offered nothing useful in my opinion on the x8

jremmons, post 489,
I do not have a clue, why I never saw internal reflections in the different 8x32 EL's I have used over the years. I do not wear spectacles and my eyesight is good and for the rest I am a quite ordinary person, who likes birdwatching and nature observation. My blood pressure is alright and I had an intense sports career. So nothing spectacular.
Gijs van Ginkel

jremmons, post 489,
I do not have a clue, why I never saw internal reflections in the different 8x32 EL's I have used over the years. I do not wear spectacles and my eyesight is good and for the rest I am a quite ordinary person, who likes birdwatching and nature observation. My blood pressure is alright and I had an intense sports career. So nothing spectacular.
Gijs van Ginkel

You and me both Gijs. I have an original 16 year old 8x32EL and have never suffered any problematic glare. The only niggle I had was with light leaking around the eyecups from the sides - more a slight physiological incompatibility - and a set of winged cups sorted that.

RB

Keep in mind that a 16 year old 8x32 EL has a completely different objective lens design and focusing lens compared to the 8x32 EL SV. Glare behavior in the former is probably not the same as the latter

That's sad, your comment is about a dog. Tell us what you think about
the new NL.

Jerry

I personally get a lot more joy in life out of dogs than out of binoculars, and I certainly don't begrudge others their love and/or appreciation of animals.

One of the most lovely aspects of Birdforum, particularly in this day and age, is the general civility and respect with which most members conduct themselves.

This is just one person's personal opinion, but the forum would be better served by maintaining respect and kindness.

jremmons, post 489,
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for the response, even if it isn't particularly clarifying!

To note, in terms of Swarovsk binoculars, I've owned the 10x42 EL (pre-Swarovision), 8x32 SV, 8x42 SLC-HD, and currently own the 8.5x42 SV FP and borrow the 7x42 SLC NEU. The ONLY Swarovski I've seen show this significant level of glare is the 8x32 EL SV, and I would best describe it as a blinding level of glare (i.e. it made the binoculars unusable). Hopefully, even if the NL are not perfect in terms of glare control, they are nearer to the 8.5x42 which has problematic, but not unusable, levels of glare (to my eyes).

Justin

Keep in mind that a 16 year old 8x32 EL has a completely different objective lens design and focusing lens compared to the 8x32 EL SV. Glare behavior in the former is probably not the same as the latter
The older EL 8x32 wasn't the cat's meow at controlling glare either according to Allbinos.

"For such an equipment class we should expect a better performance. The result is surprisingly average. It’s enough to compare it with the pupil area of the Zeiss Victory and the Leica Ultravid to see that the Swarovski really lags behind here."

https://www.allbinos.com/189-binoculars_review-Swarovski_EL_8x32_WB.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, even if it isn't particularly clarifying!

To note, in terms of Swarovsk binoculars, I've owned the 10x42 EL (pre-Swarovision), 8x32 SV, 8x42 SLC-HD, and currently own the 8.5x42 SV FP and borrow the 7x42 SLC NEU. The ONLY Swarovski I've seen show this significant level of glare is the 8x32 EL SV, and I would best describe it as a blinding level of glare (i.e. it made the binoculars unusable). Hopefully, even if the NL are not perfect in terms of glare control, they are nearer to the 8.5x42 which has problematic, but not unusable, levels of glare (to my eyes).

Justin
I think you will be satisfied with the NL then because IMO it has less overall glare than the EL 8.5x42. I was using my NL 8x42 tonite at sundown near the sun and it performed very well for glare control. In fact, the glare Henry was talking about at the bottom of the FOV was not very apparent. Allbinos rate the NL 12x42 3.8 for glare and the EL 8.5x42 2.2.

Justin, post 497,
I know what you mean with the blinding level of internal reflections, I have seen that with some binoculars, but not with the 8x32 SV, the binocular I took with me on our camping vacation in the beginning of August of this year near the sea shore in the northern part of The Netherlands. Especially there are conditions that could generate such effects: sun over the waves loads of birds fouraging. I am pretty sure I would have seen internal reflection effects if they had been there, since it is rather annoying.
Gijs van Ginkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back