• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

According to Fedex tracking my 8x42 was shipped from Rhode Island yesterday and is due to arrive at my North Carolina dealer by the end of the day Saturday. I plan to do a thorough review, so I think it will take a while.
Looking forward to your review! Your reviews are always spot on and objective.

According to Fedex tracking my 8x42 was shipped from Rhode Island yesterday and is due to arrive at my North Carolina dealer by the end of the day Saturday. I plan to do a thorough review, so I think it will take a while.

Henry,

I guess that means that we will soon see your FL 8x56 in the classifieds...Have you also bought the FHR? I am not sure it's really needed for the 8x.

Peter.

I will be very interested to read your review in due course, Henry. (Not saying I'll understand it though...) But we'll know the glass is very good if you sideline your 8x56 FL hereafter!

Best wishes and enjoy your new NL.

Tom

So it looks as if the NL is going to be delivered to US dealers before the 32mm SFs. That's kinda hard to believe...

As people are getting their NLs over the next days and weeks, I think we can expect to see a number of interesting reviews (I am not going to "join that race" this time but will leave it to the experts like Henry or Kimmo or Holger, and others).

Here are just a few Pure Numbers regarding the "Magnificent Six", perhaps some are interested in this comparison (I have only performed measurements on one sample of each bino, so bear in mind that some of these figures, e.g. adjustment range of hinge or close focus etc., are subject to sample variations).

Measurement of the Usable Eye Relief should satisfy those wearing glasses while observing.

fwiw
Canip

Attachments

• Magnificent Six.jpg
    Magnificent Six.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 8x42 Premium 2020 Datasheet.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
As people are getting their NLs over the next days and weeks, I think we can expect to see a number of interesting reviews (I am not going to "join that race" this time but will leave it to the experts like Henry or Kimmo or Holger, and others).

Here are just a few Pure Numbers regarding the "Magnificent Six", perhaps some are interested in this comparison (I have only performed measurements on one sample of each bino, so bear in mind that some of these figures, e.g. adjustment range of hinge or close focus etc., are subject to sample variations).

Measurement of the Usable Eye Relief should satisfy those wearing glasses while observing.

fwiw
Canip

Well done Canip!

I for one would certainly enjoy your continuing comments concerning the NL. I'm sure many including myself appreciate your well thought-out comments and expertise!

Nice pic too!

Here are just a few Pure Numbers regarding the "Magnificent Six", perhaps some are interested in this comparison...
Info on focusing etc much appreciated. How do you account for 8~18% discrepancies from manufacturers' stated weights -- do you have caps or something attached that they excluded?

I assumed this time (rightfully or wrongfully) that manufacturers stated the correct weight when measuring WITHOUT accessories. So I did just take these specs in the first line.
However, since in practice, all my binos are equipped with strap and eyecaps, this is the weight that counts more realistically for me, and that‘s what I state in the line „measured“.

Canip: thanks for the detailed measurements and the imagery. I notice the mention of the even slower focus on the NL as compared to the EL SV. I find this trend towards ever slower focus knobs strange, specifically when you consider that the original (non-SV) EL had its gearing speed increased due to complaints about the slow focusing.

Justin

Tks Justin.
I agree.
If they had asked me, I would have voted for a slightly faster focus.
But for some reason, they did not ask me :eek!:

It has arrived, yeah !!! :king:

Am I actually the FIRST in Germany to hold his own NL PURE 8x42 in hands? Foto-Erhardt did a great job, thank you, I'll definitely be back soon :t:

Thanks to live tracking, I was well informed about the arrival time and had opened the door 5 minutes earlier when the DHL vehicle arrived, just don't risk the guy driving past!

Even unpacking is a real pleasure, because everything is wonderfully presented. Then of course the first look through the eyepiece, the eyecups fully retracted as a precaution, for me as a full-time spectacle wearer.

WOW ... speechless amazement, what an extremely wide picture.
The exit pupil size and the viewing behavior compared to the Victory 8x25 Pocket, which came just a few days ago, is of course a revelation, no wonder.

What was already noticed when you pick it up, the innovative shape of the tubes is a haptic pleasure; everything fits like a glove, the position of the index finger for adjustment fits perfectly, the balance is optimal, you don't want to put the binoculars down ... why has nobody thought of this "trick" in the past 50 years, unbelievable?

For a direct comparison with another glass of the same magnification, I don't have the corresponding alpha glasses, it would be unfair to use other, less high-quality binoculars!

For the first, spontaneous impression I can say with conviction: I will definitely not give away the Swarovski NL PURE 8x42 anymore ... I'll bet!

OK, it's a real investment to think about, of course, but to me it's worth every penny!

I have just packed 3 other binoculars of the 42/44 class to pass them on to my grandchildren tonight ... they will be very happy about their crazy grandfather, who invests all of his savings in alpha binoculars ;)
But after the NL PURE it will certainly be a very long time before I will look around for something "better" ... if I will still experience that, I am quickly approaching 80!

So and now I'll grab my daypack and head into the nearby forest with the new Swarovski NL Pure. It's already getting a bit dusky ... let's see if I can see "more" with the new Bino than with all the different predecessors.

It has arrived, yeah !!! :king:

Am I actually the FIRST in Germany to hold his own NL PURE 8x42 in hands? Foto-Erhardt did a great job, thank you, I'll definitely be back soon :t:

Thanks to live tracking, I was well informed about the arrival time and had opened the door 5 minutes earlier when the DHL vehicle arrived, just don't risk the guy driving past!

Even unpacking is a real pleasure, because everything is wonderfully presented. Then of course the first look through the eyepiece, the eyecups fully retracted as a precaution, for me as a full-time spectacle wearer.

WOW ... speechless amazement, what an extremely wide picture.
The exit pupil size and the viewing behavior compared to the Victory 8x25 Pocket, which came just a few days ago, is of course a revelation, no wonder.

What was already noticed when you pick it up, the innovative shape of the tubes is a haptic pleasure; everything fits like a glove, the position of the index finger for adjustment fits perfectly, the balance is optimal, you don't want to put the binoculars down ... why has nobody thought of this "trick" in the past 50 years, unbelievable?

For a direct comparison with another glass of the same magnification, I don't have the corresponding alpha glasses, it would be unfair to use other, less high-quality binoculars!

For the first, spontaneous impression I can say with conviction: I will definitely not give away the Swarovski NL PURE 8x42 anymore ... I'll bet!

OK, it's a real investment to think about, of course, but to me it's worth every penny!

I have just packed 3 other binoculars of the 42/44 class to pass them on to my grandchildren tonight ... they will be very happy about their crazy grandfather, who invests all of his savings in alpha binoculars ;)
But after the NL PURE it will certainly be a very long time before I will look around for something "better" ... if I will still experience that, I am quickly approaching 80!

So and now I'll grab my daypack and head into the nearby forest with the new Swarovski NL Pure. It's already getting a bit dusky ... let's see if I can see "more" with the new Bino than with all the different predecessors.

very very happy for you as I love the enthusiasm showed. I am like a kid in a candy store every time I get a new gadget in...

I had a quick look at Swarovski's NL PURE 8x42 binoculars today - optically they're everything you'd expect with a great "walk-in" & very wide view, very sharp to the edge, bright, minimal distortion, reasonable close focus, etc. but, to be honest, I wouldn't like to say the image (apart from the better FoV) was that much better than the ELs (or other high end optics). It's possibly only the sort of thing you could discern in direct comparison and even then most easily on a dull, dark day (and it was bright and sunny when I looked). However, I was absolutely bowled over by the ergonomics and handling of the instrument. They were, by a country mile, the most comfortable binoculars to hold I've ever handled. They just 'fit'. Your hands automatically mold themselves around the frame in a secure and comfortable grip. No shifting around to find the most comfortable position for your hands they just fall into place. My only quibble is with the case. Yes, it's well made and beautifully padded BUT there's a reason why traditionally cases accommodate binoculars in a vertical position. That way you can take hold of the strap and loop it over your neck with the binoculars still sufficiently deep in the case to slide back into it if you fumble. In my view positioning binoculars horizontally makes them more vulnerable to accidental spills. Pretty design over function? If I had a pair I'd seriously consider searching out a more conventional case for them.

I received my NL 8x42 today. You can't compare the directly to the EL SV 8.5x42 because of the difference in magnification, but yes, the field of view is wider and razor sharp, and the ergonomics outstanding, even if the tubes look a little weird. The EL SV feels like a dinosaur in comparison

My only caveats would be
  • the shoulder strap which has these annoying dangly bits, and the Fieldpro attachment takes some getting used to.
  • yes, there is a noticeable seam in the armor.
  • the diopter adjustment is too easy to knock off the zero point, there is no detent

Yes, the case is an overblown monstrosity, but I can say the same of every single OEM case other than the old Leica Ultravid BL molded hard leather case

John Cantelo; - optically they're everything you'd expect with a great "walk-in" & very wide view said:
that [/I]much better than the ELs (or other high end optics).

That's because optics are so advanced they resolve as good as the eye can see.
Peter Gamby from Opticron said as much in a post in put on this forum.

I received my NL 8x42 today. You can't compare the directly to the EL SV 8.5x42 because of the difference in magnification, but yes, the field of view is wider and razor sharp, and the ergonomics outstanding, even if the tubes look a little weird. The EL SV feels like a dinosaur in comparison

My only caveats would be
  • the shoulder strap which has these annoying dangly bits, and the Fieldpro attachment takes some getting used to.
  • yes, there is a noticeable seam in the armor.
  • the diopter adjustment is too easy to knock off the zero point, there is no detent

Yes, the case is an overblown monstrosity, but I can say the same of every single OEM case other than the old Leica Ultravid BL molded hard leather case
I think a good case for the NL 8x42 would be the ZEISS Case for the Conquest HD 42. I use this case on all my binoculars. I have one ready for the NL. If you don't like the Swarovski strap a good replacement is the Vero Vellini Slip-Proof Binocular Strap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018IQQA6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Vero-Vellini...ni+binocular+strap&qid=1599328410&sr=8-2&th=1

Attachments

• 51vYUBUkoeL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    51vYUBUkoeL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 35
  • 51+DSGna2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51+DSGna2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back