• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Got my 8x42 today. Count me as more perplexed than pleased at this point. I won't have much time for evaluation over the next few days, then it may take another few to figure out why this binocular behaves as it does.

Henry

I think a good case for the NL 8x42 would be the ZEISS Case for the Conquest HD 42. I use this case on all my binoculars. I have one ready for the NL. If you don't like the Swarovski strap a good replacement is the Vero Vellini Slip-Proof Binocular Strap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018IQQA6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Vero-Vellini...ni+binocular+strap&qid=1599328410&sr=8-2&th=1

Another case alternative is the one from Vortex. If you take the labels off of the Vortex and the Zeiss shown above, they are indistinguishable. It would not surprise me in the least if the two companies sourced them from the same manufacturer. I have found that the Vortex is easier to find, and cheaper too.

I received my NL 8x42 today. You can't compare the directly to the EL SV 8.5x42 because of the difference in magnification, but yes, the field of view is wider and razor sharp, and the ergonomics outstanding, even if the tubes look a little weird. The EL SV feels like a dinosaur in comparison

My only caveats would be
  • the shoulder strap which has these annoying dangly bits, and the Fieldpro attachment takes some getting used to.
  • yes, there is a noticeable seam in the armor.
  • the diopter adjustment is too easy to knock off the zero point, there is no detent

Yes, the case is an overblown monstrosity, but I can say the same of every single OEM case other than the old Leica Ultravid BL molded hard leather case

The diopter adjustment should have a detent, (at least, mine does.) but only in the central position.
There is a diopter indicator at the bottom side, so once set, you can check where it's at.

Got my 8x42 today. Count me as more perplexed than pleased at this point. I won't have much time for evaluation over the next few days, then it may take another few to figure out why this binocular behaves as it does.

Henry

I always read your reviews and thougherly enjoy them, even if they cover optics that l would not use, such as the NL pure. Please can you take your time and complete the review before posting it. The last review you carried out on the Canon 10x32 IS was done in tranches which allowed others to interject making the the review rather disjointed. Comment and criticism is fine but not until the full review has been completed.
Keep up your good work.
Kind regards
Stan

Another case alternative is the one from Vortex. If you take the labels off of the Vortex and the Zeiss shown above, they are indistinguishable. It would not surprise me in the least if the two companies sourced them from the same manufacturer. I have found that the Vortex is easier to find, and cheaper too.
I have tried the Vortex cases and I found them a little lower in quality. The material doesn't seem as thick or as quality and the overall case didn't quite seem as good as the Zeiss.

SONA is awaiting nervously on Henry’s verdict!

Looking forward to your report on your new 8x42–if you keep it, I get first dibs on your armored 8x30 SLC that you had Jan make up for you!(if you still have it).

I received my NL 8x42 today. You can't compare the directly to the EL SV 8.5x42 because of the difference in magnification, but yes, the field of view is wider and razor sharp, and the ergonomics outstanding, even if the tubes look a little weird. The EL SV feels like a dinosaur in comparison

My only caveats would be
  • the shoulder strap which has these annoying dangly bits, and the Fieldpro attachment takes some getting used to.
  • the diopter adjustment is too easy to knock off the zero point, there is no detent

Yes, the case is an overblown monstrosity, but I can say the same of every single OEM case other than the old Leica Ultravid BL molded hard leather case

"The EL SV feels like a dinosaur in comparison". I am wondering if you have much experience with binoculars at all.

The word dinosaur is powerful.

Jerry

"The EL SV feels like a dinosaur in comparison". I am wondering if you have much experience with binoculars at all.

Jerry

Unless you have a pair of the NLs that you've not posted about, he empirically has more experience than you do. Tact as well.

His opinion is welcome, at least to me.

Jerry

You could quite easily stand that question on its head - I am wondering if you have much experience with the NL at all?

... and while we're on the subject of dinosaurs, the 10x56 SLC certainly feels like one to me - that rubber armouring looks and feels as though it came from a brontosaurus! I like it though!

PS. Fazal, please check your private messages...

Attachments

• 20200906_020041.jpg
    20200906_020041.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 65
Perhaps the word "feel" has more to do with ergonomics since Fazalmajid has spent time with the 8.5X42 I believe, they look quite different in shape to me

Andy W.

My only caveats would be

I wonder if the seam in the armour has to do with the radical design of the optical tubes. It could be that it has to have a seam to fit the armour tightly around the tubes.

I wonder if the seam in the armour has to do with the radical design of the optical tubes. It could be that it has to have a seam to fit the armour tightly around the tubes.
I have commented on the seams of the armor in a previous post, and several people (Jan, Arek etc.) were bothered by it. It's surprising that Swaro could not fix such an issue.

Henry
That sounds a bit worrisome to me, can you please detail just a bit. Of course take your time for the full review, which I am looking forward to.

I have tried the Vortex cases and I found them a little lower in quality. The material doesn't seem as thick or as quality and the overall case didn't quite seem as good as the Zeiss.
I have both cases, and I agree that Vortex case is a little lower quality but only a little. I am using it for my SF 10x42 and it's perfect.

Appreciate Fazalmajid’s enthusiasm and observations.

Unless you have a pair of the NLs that you've not posted about, he empirically has more experience than you do. Tact as well.

The indelicate posts and resulting rebukes by other members have been a reoccurring theme from a source who seemingly seeks to goad even via an avatar.

It will be a while until there is a general consensus about the NL, I enjoy reading users impressions they have value, lets not put those lucky owners off sharing their thoughts with needless sniping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back