• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski NL Pure pricing strategies? (1 Viewer)

karmantra

OK, I understand that the NL Pures are the hottest items in optics at this time in 8x, 10x and 12x, and availability is low in the U.S., but how can firms like Sportsman’s Warehouse try to get away with charging full retail price for them? Of course, Swarovski North America charges full retail if bought through them as well as high-end Orvis, but Sportsman’s Warehouse? Cabelas, Optics4Birding, Cameraland, Midway, Adorama, etc. are selling them at the customary 10% off full retail pricing.
I only bring this up because in Central Oregon, Sportsman’s Warehouse is the only retailer that carries them and I would like to purchase local, but don’t want to pay a $300 premium!

BabyDov

Supporter
United States
II also like to support local dealers, especially if they took the time to demo the item to me. However, I have no local dealers who carry the Nl. Even if I did, I would hate to pay the state sales tax on a such an expensive binocular. There are a few out of state dealers who will wave the sales tax as well as giving the 10% customary discount. For example, B&H will wave sales tax on items purchased with their PayBoo Credit Card, as long as you don't live in New York. For me, that sales tax savings alone, amounted to another $300.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Supporter
Just wait for a used one to come on the market. There have been quite a few, and you can pick one up for around $2500 with no tax. By the time you get one from Sportsman's Warehouse your going to have $3500 in it.

karmantra

II also like to support local dealers, especially if they took the time to demo the item to me. However, I have no local dealers who carry the Nl. Even if I did, I would hate to pay the state sales tax on a such an expensive binocular. There are a few out of state dealers who will wave the sales tax as well as giving the 10% customary discount. For example, B&H will wave sales tax on items purchased with their PayBoo Credit Card, as long as you don't live in New York. For me, that sales tax savings alone, amounted to another $300.
I talked to the local store today—no NLs in stock, but the price is decided by corporate, not going to sell them at the ‘usual’ 10% off that other retailers/ mail order sell at. I have not had the pleasure of handling one yet, but apparently the local store will not get my business!
Oregon has no sales tax, will wait until I get to Cabelas in the valley to hopefully evaluate them. Not paying that premium to get them local!

Users who are viewing this thread