• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski sellers dilusional? (1 Viewer)

jaymann

I have 4 Swarovski binoculars and 3 riflescopes. All bought brand new from authorized dealers. I had more but sold couple of them.
Recently I wanted to buy some old used beat up pair of binoculars for my niece. So I went on eBay and Rokslide. I am seeing people asking for as much new items. I can buy new pairs for $100 more. And these sellers are firm on their prices like they have the only pair of binoculars in the world.
I sold my Swarovski items for 70 percent of the original value. Items had no defects and had original box and paper. These people have worn out bridges, no boxes etc.
There is no shortage of new binoculars. So what am I missing?

Binocular prices can be as irrational as for watches, cameras and potentially any product. Those sellers are fishing for the buyer who hasn’t done homework or has to have the item right now. But those prices are nothing. Have you seen the madness in Rolex watches? Three times msrp for some models.

Last edited:
This is a puzzling but well-known phenomenon and not restricted to Swarovski items. I can think of at least three reasons:
  • Many people buy goods in local shops at manufacturer's suggested retail prices. When they want to sell these goods second-hand they are geared to the price they paid once regardless of lower street or web prices.
  • "Endowment effect:" They know the item for sale very well, they like(d) it, it has been part of their life, hence they really believe it is worth the high advertising price.
  • "There's a sucker born every minute." They try to find him. After all, if they are not pressed for time, it may work. After some days or weeks they still can cut the high initial price.

Last edited:
I have 4 Swarovski binoculars and 3 riflescopes. All bought brand new from authorized dealers. I had more but sold couple of them.
Recently I wanted to buy some old used beat up pair of binoculars for my niece. So I went on eBay and Rokslide. I am seeing people asking for as much new items. I can buy new pairs for $100 more. And these sellers are firm on their prices like they have the only pair of binoculars in the world.
I sold my Swarovski items for 70 percent of the original value. Items had no defects and had original box and paper. These people have worn out bridges, no boxes etc.
There is no shortage of new binoculars. So what am I missing?
Typical ebay ,excellent condition, perfect condition ,almost like new. Thirty years old and just as good as the latest model and so on.
Peter.

Seeing lots of great deals like this an ELs now that Pures are the latest and greatest. Got a great deal on a pair from a member here. He wasn’t going to Pures just preferred the size of his CLs.

Seeing lots of great deals like this an ELs now that Pures are the latest and greatest. Got a great deal on a pair from a member here. He wasn’t going to Pures just preferred the size of his CLs.
If you're happy with non-fieldpro you can definitely get good deals on late serial number EL SVs, particularly the 8's and 10's. The 12's seem to be holding their price more.

I am thinking about selling my 3 months old NL 8x42. Do you think how much I could get for that? Is it reasonable to sell it for 2400 euros?

it is a smaller business that trades in weapons. Non of the big shops you can find on goo….
cause i have been buying my binoculars ( Swarovski and Zeiss ) there for a very long time, i get pretty good prices without haggling.
but i should not hang it on the big bell.
I think prices called on the internet are clearly too high. Or rather, binoculars for almost 3000€ is too much money.
i feel the 2250€ already as a lot of money for a pair of binoculars. My dealer says Swaro gives the most discoun. That means you can actually trade well.
NL 10x32 is a fantastic glas.

Attachments

• 61D3F46A-689F-4CCF-B01E-AE1FF44FE8F9.jpeg
    61D3F46A-689F-4CCF-B01E-AE1FF44FE8F9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
This is a puzzling but well-known phenomenon and not restricted to Swarovski items. I can think of at least three reasons:
  • Many people buy goods in local shops at manufacturer's suggested retail prices. When they want to sell these goods second-hand they are geared to the price they paid once regardless of lower street or web prices.
  • "Endowment effect:" They know the item for sale very well, they like(d) it, it has been part of their life, hence they really believe it is worth the high advertising price.
  • "There's a sucker born every minute." They try to find him. After all, if they are not pressed for time, it may work. After some days or weeks they still can cut the high initial price.
Well said, forent. I like the "Endowment effect."

Binocular prices can be as irrational as for watches, cameras and potentially any product. Those sellers are fishing for the buyer who hasn’t done homework or has to have the item right now. But those prices are nothing. Have you seen the madness in Rolex watches? Three times msrp for some models.
Yes the cost of a Rose Gold Daytona with Chocolate Dial sure gone up since I bought this one 4 years ago...

Attachments

• 1E4C39FC-4AD6-4AB7-87ED-B01F13B4CF22.jpeg
    1E4C39FC-4AD6-4AB7-87ED-B01F13B4CF22.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 052F3C7D-F133-4549-9BA6-791A49E49CB7.jpeg
    052F3C7D-F133-4549-9BA6-791A49E49CB7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • FFB53FFF-BE91-4088-AEE7-6608D52417A8.jpeg
    FFB53FFF-BE91-4088-AEE7-6608D52417A8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
it is a smaller business that trades in weapons. Non of the big shops you can find on goo….
cause i have been buying my binoculars ( Swarovski and Zeiss ) there for a very long time, i get pretty good prices without haggling.
but i should not hang it on the big bell.
I think prices called on the internet are clearly too high. Or rather, binoculars for almost 3000€ is too much money.
i feel the 2250€ already as a lot of money for a pair of binoculars. My dealer says Swaro gives the most discoun. That means you can actually trade well.
NL 10x32 is a fantastic glas.
Wow. You got two of them. However, the 42's cost considerably higher than the 32's. On Swaro's website 8x42 costs €2,850.00 while 10x32 costs €2,440.00.

Does anyone seriously buy stuff off fleabay? And my 5513 easily quadrupled in price/value since I bought it privately from a dealer in Mannheim about 12 years ago, without even looking in that murky online cesspool. So I do not know about delusional.

Wow. You got two of them. However, the 42's cost considerably higher than the 32's. On Swaro's website 8x42 costs €2,850.00 while 10x32 costs €2,440.00.

yes.that is right. I sold the 42 again.
i bought the 32 each for 1900€.

Hmm, weird to see how 2nd hand prices have gone up again. When the NL's were just released, prices went down to the point where a 8,5x42 sv could be had for €1000-€1200. Maybe those wanting a quick and good trade for the NL probably all have it already. What you get from a dealer is usually way less than when selling yourself, and a dealer has to make a turnover on that again, maybe explaining the higher current prices. I think the low has past, people who haven't changed for a NL from an El or slc probably won't now, and if then only sporadically. Especially slc people will hold on to, I think.

yes.that is right. I sold the 42 again.
i bought the 32 each for 1900€.
That’s great. How did you sell the 42? eBay or any other method? I don’t know how to sell my one. Could you please tell me the second hand price you got for your 42? Maybe a PM 😊
And I would like to know the reason why you sold your 42. Did you find 32s are better than 42?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back