• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski serialnumbers changed (2 Viewers)

jan van daalen

Effective september 1 2020 the ## are starting with 10.
Just add 10 to get to the year of production.
So today an EL 10x42 with ## KD1010130A came in and AFAIK (and been told) just the two first digits count.

Jan

PeterPS

Effective september 1 2020 the ## are starting with 10.
Just add 10 to get to the year of production.
So today an EL 10x42 with ## KD1010130A came in and AFAIK (and been told) just the two first digits count.

Jan

Thanks, Jan, very useful info. I can understand why they decided to not use digits 3 and 4 for the week (they need those two digits for the serial number itself), but I am not sure why they have changed the rule for the year of production. In particular why not indicate the year directly, such as KD20xxxxxA? Btw, I seem to remember that the letter at the end of the SN has a certain meaning, do you know what it indicates?

Last edited:

jan van daalen

Thanks, Jan, very useful info. I can understand why they decided to not use digits 3 and 4 for the week (they need those two digits for the serial number itself), but I am not sure why they have changed the rule for the year of production. In particular why not indicate the year directly, such as KD20xxxxxA? Btw, I seem to remember that the letter at the end of the SN has a certain meaning, do you know what it indicates?

Hi Peter,

I really wouldn't know.
The ATX ocular module has HA---A, the EL10x42 KD---A and the EL8x32 has FD---A.

I'll ask around, but I'm sure our friend Down Under will have all the answers soon.

Jan

John A Roberts

Australia
Hi Jan,

Well that’s an interesting development, though not necessarily a totally unexpected one . . .

As I’ve noted before, the main form of dating that specified both the year and week of manufacture seemed to create unnecessary anxiety for some intending purchasers
And it must have on occasion been a nuisance for retailers: along the lines of ‘Hey this one’s 2 (or 4 or 6 or whatever) months old. Can’t you get me a new one?

Also, from September 1991 Swarovski used 2 forms of numbering (as explained below)

And finally, a modification - and limitation - to the consecutive numbering component was introduced in 2011 (again see below)

So revising the pattern of the numbering is an opportunity to address the above

- - - -

I’ve previously posted in detail about Swarovski’s current numbering practices - at least as they were until the the end of August 2020
So rather than going into a lot of detail, I’ll attempt to provide just enough information to make sense of the new numbering

History
Alpha-Numeric numbering (as opposed to purely numeric numbering) was:
• Introduced in 1985 on a limited basis, in various forms
• From January 1991 adopted on all product lines in the form of A+7 (one letter followed by 7 digits), and
• From September 1991 changed to A+9, and an alternative form of AA+7 was added

Previous Alpha-Numeric Components
Swarovski includes various types of information in it’s serial numbering

All A-N numbering has a minimum of 3 components:
- a product or product line identifier (a letter)
- a dating component (it always identifies the year of production, and often also the week of the year), and
- a sequential number component

Additionally, since October 2011 there’s been a 4th component:
- the use of limited number ranges depending on the product type
There were 3 different ones for binoculars and 1 each for hand held electronics, telescopes and telescopic sights
e.g. from 40,000 to 49,999 for full size roof prism binoculars and from 20,000 to 29,999 for telescopes
The ranges distinguished between different product types that had the same starting letter e.g. 'A' was used for both Habicht CF Porro binoculars and NL x42 roof prism ones

Finally, the alternate form of AA+7 was used to distinguish:
- units made in Austria but assemble by SONA/ Swarovski Optik North America (which to date have been certain lines of telscopic sights), and
- units where during servicing SONA replaced the part with the original serial number

Now after 29 years, from September 2020 there is a new form of numbering: AA+7+A

New Numbering - Examples
Jan has provided the following examples (I asked him to send me the full details of the other 2 units on hand):
• EL 10x42: KD10 10130A (vs K9007 47700: dating from February - the 7th week; of 2020 - add 1930; and being the 7,700th unit in a sequence starting from 40,000)

• EL 8x32: FD10 10121A (vs F8910 40146: with a unit sequence also starting from 40,000)

• ATX module: HA10 10198A (vs H9009 28906: with a unit sequence starting from 20,000)

Likely Construction? - ‘PTyy nnnnnL’
So taking into account what Swarovski wants to accomplish with it’s serial numbering - and on the basis of the information available at this stage -
it seems likely the numbering pattern is as follows:

P = product/ product line (the same as was previously used e.g. K for EL x42, F for EL x32, and H for X series telescope modules)

T = type of product (the use of a letter instead of a restricted number range e.g. now D for full size roof prism binoculars and A for telescopes)

yy = year of production (add 2010)

nnnnn = consecutive number (likely an unrestricted sequence from 10,000 on)

L = location of manufacture, or assembly or numbered component replacement (A for Absam/ Austria, and another letter or letters for SONA)

Things should rapidly become more certain when we see serial numbers for other products

John

Last edited:

PeterPS

Hi Jan,
I have seen an NL 8x42 whose serial number was A90xxxxx, so still the old rule of adding 30. Any idea why the new SN style that you mentioned was not used in this case? Maybe because the binos were produced prior to the introduction of the new rule on Sept 1st?
Peter

Last edited:

jan van daalen

Hi Jan,
I have seen an NL 8x42 whose serial number was A90xxxxx, so still the old rule of adding 30. Any idea why the new SN style that you mentioned was not used in this case? Maybe because the binos were produced prior to the introduction of the new rule on Sept 1st?
Peter

Hi Peter,

I think you answered your own question.

Jan

John A Roberts

Australia
And visual verification of Jan's information about the new numbering . . .

It's the first example that I've seen, and is from a current eBay listing by javp786
It shows an EL 10x42 box label for unit #KD10 10772A

- - - -

This is the revised ‘Legend’ version of the EL x42 that was introduced in conjunction with the NL x42 models
The x42 Legend has an increased minimum focus distance of 3.3 m (10.8 ft) compared to the earlier 1.5 m (4.9 ft)

The change to the 10x42 version is from unit #K9027 48841. So from mid-July (the 27th week) of 2020 (90 + 1930)
See Jan’s final comment at: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=4030167&postcount=6

- - - -

Interestingly the new Legend model has the same EAN and UPC as the previous FieldPro version
See the label of a 10x42 FieldPro unit from October (the 44th week) 2018 (88 + 1930), from a listing by sa.marsa

The implication is that Swarovski doesn’t consider the Legend change to be a major one, in the same way as when:
- the EL Swarovision replaced the original EL, and
- the EL FieldPro replaced the EL Swarovision (see an example label)
where both the EAN’s and UPC’s were updated

John

Attachments

• New EL 10x42 Legend label.jpg
    New EL 10x42 Legend label.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 59
  • EL 10x42 FieldPro label.jpg
    EL 10x42 FieldPro label.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 50
  • EL 10x42 pre-Fieldpro label.jpg
    EL 10x42 pre-Fieldpro label.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

PeterPS

My NL 8x42 is another example: their SN starts with AD1010
(the 3rd and 4th digits do not indicate the week any longer) and ends with A (Austria).

John A Roberts

Australia
The pattern of the new NL serial numbering is consistent with that of the other products previously observed (including the current EL 10x42 #KD10 10772A in post #7):

. . .

Jan has provided the following examples . . .
• EL 10x42: KD10 10130A . . .

• EL 8x32: FD10 10121A . . .

• ATX module: HA10 10198A . . .

Likely Construction? - ‘PTyy nnnnnL’
So . . . it seems likely the numbering pattern is as follows:

P = product/ product line (the same as was previously used e.g. K for EL x42, F for EL x32, and H for X series telescope modules)

T = type of product (the use of a letter instead of a restricted number range e.g. now D for full size roof prism binoculars and A for telescopes)

yy = year of production (add 2010)

nnnnn = consecutive number (likely an unrestricted sequence from 10,000 on)

L = location of manufacture, or assembly or numbered component replacement (A for Absam/ Austria, and another letter or letters for SONA)

. . .

And the A prefix of the new NL numbering, is consistent with the previous use of the prefix on the ‘A+9’ numbered NL unit #A9014 40047, that I'd previously posted
at: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=4080383&postcount=12

John

Attachments

• NL focuser rear.jpg
    NL focuser rear.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

John A Roberts

Australia
Swarovski's Previous Numbering

For more detail about Swarovski's previous numbering practices see the thread at:

John

Users who are viewing this thread