• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Service (1 Viewer)

Yesterday I've send my pair of el 10x42 binoculars to swarovski service center in Austria.
For some reason I can't explain, I lost my ability to focus to infinity, it almost reaches it,
but there's only blurry vision in the distance.
I've owned my pair for 10 years now, and until now no problems.

Anyone around who experienced the same problems?
Perhaps can you tell me how long it has taken to fix the problems?

I feeling very empty-handed at the time now, i have no backup binoculars...

grtz,

Martijn

Yesterday I've send my pair of el 10x42 binoculars to swarovski service center in Austria.
For some reason I can't explain, I lost my ability to focus to infinity, it almost reaches it,
but there's only blurry vision in the distance.
I've owned my pair for 10 years now, and until now no problems.

Anyone around who experienced the same problems?
Perhaps can you tell me how long it has taken to fix the problems?

I feeling very empty-handed at the time now, i have no backup binoculars...

grtz,

Martijn

Do you normally wear glasses and take them off to use the binocular?

Bob

Do you normally wear glasses and take them off to use the binocular?

Bob

I ask that because after 10 years your eyesight might have changed.

There have been some recent threads here concerning how far binoculars will focus past infinity by people who wear glasses and have strong corrections for nearsightedness. It seems that if they want to use the binocular without their glasses on that the binocular needs extra focusing room past what would be infinity for people with normal vision in order for them to be able get focus to infinity. Some binoculars do not have much of this excess room.

If you don't wear glasses and are not nearsighted then, of course, this is not the problem.

Bob

Thanks both - an email is winging its way in Swaro's direction and I'll report in due course! Mike

- - and they arrived today, FoC as was suggested - very impressed indeed with that level of service, especially as technically I'm not the "first owner" - which they know.

Thanks for the advice - Mike.

It would be interesting to see the specifics of the service business vs the new product sales.
My guess is that it is less than 10% of the revenue. If that is even close to accurate, the Nikon USA model of lifetime warranty with a pro forma $20 fee makes a lot of sense. It minimizes hassles and maximizes customer satisfaction, at an acceptable economic cost.
It certainly does seem that the effort to make service a separate profit center can easily jeopardize the overall brand image that underpins the ongoing success of the business.

It would be interesting to see the specifics of the service business vs the new product sales.
My guess is that it is less than 10% of the revenue. If that is even close to accurate, the Nikon USA model of lifetime warranty with a pro forma $20 fee makes a lot of sense. It minimizes hassles and maximizes customer satisfaction, at an acceptable economic cost.
It certainly does seem that the effort to make service a separate profit center can easily jeopardize the overall brand image that underpins the ongoing success of the business.

It's an intersting argument - having worked in a customer centric "service" sector I'm very much of the view that service is key, especially with a high-end, tangible product.

I recently bought a small item from the States, something unobtainable in the UK. It failed fairly quickly, despite being a well know and supposedly quality product. It wasn't a lot of money, but not cheap. The seller has merely suggested I return the product - at my own expense - to the manufacturer who will then replace it. Fair enough I suppose.

The cost of returning said product is sufficiently large that I'll not bother - but be sure I'll tell a lot of people about the story.

I'll also tell a lot of people about the Swarovski service - and in rather more positive tones - if you're paying something between £700 and £2000 for a luxury item, it's really rather excellent when the manufacturer is prepared to stand by their product as Swaro seem to.

I'd not have all that happy to have had to pay $20 in this instance. If I have to ever return the binos then I'd stand the cost of postage of course.

Mike.

Interesting!:h?:

Swarovski are going to charge me £117 for some minor work on my 8x30 SLCs. :-C

They should expect a phone call shortly! :C

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences,

DL

Minor or not, it may not fall under regular servicing or usual wear and tear.

Also, this may not apply to you but they know a lot by the serial #'s.
Original owners who filled out warrantee cards and can establish the original
authorised dealer when they call for the RAN seem to get the full special
treatment.

When I called to send in my 12 year old 10x50 SLC's they asked me a bunch
of questions and one was where I purchased them and serial #. After I answered
all that they were lovey dovey. I got a full overhaul including full body wrap and a
new twist eye cup that I broke from a drop......all at no charge.

Last edited:
I returned a pair of 8.5 x 42 ELs yesterday and was up front that I'd obtained them 2nd hand. I'll keep you posted on what happens and what charges Swarovski make for what is largely non-warranty work.

I understand the warranty is transferrable - I had certainly been in touch with Swaro when I bought what were essentially a new, unused pair of bins, but a pair which had been registered by the original owner who had subsequently traded them in.

Seems he'd bought two pairs - and then decided he only wanted one.

Mike.

Quick update, I'd asked Swarovski for a price for some accessories as well as the servicing/repairs and today a package arrived with the requested accessories free of charge, bodes well for their service. Five star so far, I'll provide a further update once I hear from them again.:t::t:

Ahhh.... The more I hear about the story when Swarovski and Nikon owner said about their service the more I feel something is missing from Leica binoculars.

While it's been almost 3 weeks since I send my Leica back to service I still think the surprise charge they did to me is kind of ripped off. Their discrete black and white service continue to surprise me in the more negative way...

Last edited:
Reactions to repair service

It might be helpful if those who have had reactions to repair service might state whether the binoculars involved were purchased new or used and whether those binoculars were still under warranty or not.

It might be helpful if those who have had reactions to repair service might state whether the binoculars involved were purchased new or used and whether those binoculars were still under warranty or not.

It doesn't matter whether you're the original owner or not with Swaro USA, Leupold, or Zeiss, being a lifetime transferrable warranty does it?

All it takes is a little effort amongst the numerous, various optics forums to determine who is the king of customer service. I can assure you that you won't find Nikon anywhere near the top. Swarovski goes above and beyond to please it's customers, as one would expect from a company that asks buyers to pay top dollar. Real world testimony, many times over, only verifies this. My good friend had his EL's trashed, by him, against the dashboard of his ATV while being a little "reckless". He even broke out the dash of the ARV he hit them so hard. He called Swaro, put the facts in a written letter, and sent them in. 2 weeks later a completely refurbished pair of EL's were sent to him at $0 cost. It happens time and time again, no matter what the warranty says.

Reality says Swaro will fix them, most often free of charge regardless. Nikon can't even figure out when their binocs are made.

Reality says Swaro will fix them, most often free of charge regardless. Nikon can't even figure out when their binocs are made.

I think that, correctly speaking, that would be Nikon "employees."

And neither can anybody else for the most part; they have made so many different ones over the years. Maybe they have a Librarian to catalog them?

Henry Link, I think, recently posted a chronological listing of their various models.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back