• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC New 7X42 (1 Viewer)

Lewie

Just curious - has anyone tried the Swarovski SLC New 7X42 and how it compares to the other 7X42s?

Thanks,

Lew

Lewie said:
Just curious - has anyone tried the Swarovski SLC New 7X42 and how it compares to the other 7X42s?

Thanks,

Lew

Lew,

I prefer it over all other 7x42 because it offers the widest sweet spot just like some 7x50 (Fujinon, Docter) but with a noticable wider FOV as those and it´s quite sharp even at the edge. It offers also a remarkable ease of view. It is IMO the best low light performancer among the 7x42s. If one can live with the 200g additional weight compared with Leica or Zeiss this could be something for those who prefer very good optics. Ergonomics are quite good but here you better try for yourself.

Steve

I went through a long process of looking at all the 7x42s. The Swaro had the best view and the largest weight. I was told the weight was partially due to bigger prisms whick helped the view tremendously. I looked at the SLC, Ultravid, Trinovid, FL, Classic BGAT, and Discoverer (Bushnell) and for view the SLC was best.

In the end I was juggling view over weight and ended up buying a Nikon Lx 8x32 instead. It has a really great view as well, is slightly less bright, and is more compact and lighter. Compared to the Ultravid and Zeiss 32s it is large, but compared to the SLC 7x42 it is much more tidy.

If you like the SLC and the weight is not bothering you then I would recommend it over the newer designs of Leica and Zeiss.

Lewie said:

Thanks,

Lew
Lew,

The SLCnew 7X42 is superb. The improved coatings make its view nearly indistinguishable from the EL line. I directly compared a 7X42 SLCnew to an 8.5X42 EL and the only difference in image quality was magnification.

I've compared my Ultravid 7X42 to a few SLCnew models and, if I was buying today, I might buy the SLC instead of the Ultravid. My eyes are not improving with age and I've grown dependant on the wide sweet spot in my SE 8X32. The sweet spot in the SLC is simply the best of all the 7X42's.

I've considered replacing my Ultravid 7X42 with the SLCnew 7X42, but I just can't justify it at this point in time.

I wouldn't worry about brightness with any of the top 7X42's. My Ultravid performs best in low light, the FL is probably brighter, and the new SLC is certainly going to keep you birding long past sunset.

Best of luck...
John

I was with John when we compared many different models of binoculars to the 7x42 SLC New. I ended up buying it at the time because it provided such a relaxed image...field of view, depth of field, size of sweetspot, etc... We compared it to more models than I care to remember from a variety of different companies.

Since then I have also owned the FL 7x42 and the Trinovid BN 7x42. I think you would be hard pressed to really be disappointed with any of the three of them. I ended up with the Trinovid the longest simply because I thought it provided the same advantages as the SLCs but in a slightly shorter and lighter package. Others may feel different.

Good luck with the 7x42 SLCs. I do not think you will be disappointed whatsoever.

Lewie said:

Thanks,

Lew

Lew, a close friend has used the 7x42 SLC's for years... it's a wonderful bin. If I were going to carry a larger bin than my 8x32's it would definately be a 7x42.

Best,

Brad

I've compared my Ultravid 7X42 to a few SLCnew models and, if I was buying today, I might buy the SLC instead of the Ultravid.

John,

That's a very interesting statement regarding the 7x42 Ultravids, especially after all of the fine reviews you have put forth. I too own a pair of the 7x42 Ultravids and thought that no other bin in this configuration could touch them. I may just have to go track down a pair of the Swaros and give them a try.

I wonder if anyone has compared the Swaro 7x42 New SLC to the 7x50 New SLC. I have never been bothered by a bit of extra weight (don't typically wander for hours at a time) and I wonder if the clarity and sweet spot would transfer over to the larger 50mm model as well.

I really enjoy my Ultravids and cannot imagine going back to a 8x, 8.5x or 10x configuation, but a 7x with an even nicer view (less CA) might be quite enticing.

Best regards,

Steffan

Marley said:
I've compared my Ultravid 7X42 to a few SLCnew models and, if I was buying today, I might buy the SLC instead of the Ultravid.

John,

That's a very interesting statement regarding the 7x42 Ultravids, especially after all of the fine reviews you have put forth. I too own a pair of the 7x42 Ultravids and thought that no other bin in this configuration could touch them. I may just have to go track down a pair of the Swaros and give them a try.

I wonder if anyone has compared the Swaro 7x42 New SLC to the 7x50 New SLC. I have never been bothered by a bit of extra weight (don't typically wander for hours at a time) and I wonder if the clarity and sweet spot would transfer over to the larger 50mm model as well.

I really enjoy my Ultravids and cannot imagine going back to a 8x, 8.5x or 10x configuation, but a 7x with an even nicer view (less CA) might be quite enticing.

Best regards,

Steffan

I'm 45 years old and have 20/20 vision as well as having a background in photography and the visual arts... the 7x42 Ultravid is, hands down, the finest binocular I've ever looked through (though I'll admit I've not looked through the 7x42 FL).

Obviously individual samples can vary but there's no way I'd consider getting a 7x42 SLC if I had a 7x42 Ultravid. No way...

My .02

One week ago i traded a 7x42 FL for a 7X42 SLCneu. What won me was: 1) more comfortable eyecups, 2) greater ease of view, 3) far better and ampler sweet spot, 4) a bit better depth of field, 5) i like holding the SLC better, even though they are heavier, and 6) SO North America is by far the best optics company to deal with when it comes to repairs - this is important because i will use this particular binocular for the next 18 months in Brazil and Suriname for very heavy duty field work (the EL 8x32 will be the back-up). I can't see any difference in brightness or sharpness or color fringing among the FL and the SLC.
Before the FL and the SLCneu i had the 7x42 Ultravid and the FL at the same time. The Ultravid had too much color fringing for my taste and the focuser was horrible. I decided that i will not spend 6 months rocking the focuser back and forth to work it in, so i gave up.

Last edited:
Marley said:

John,

Best regards,

Steffan
Steffan,

I'm keeping the Ultravid for many reasons. I was getting sloppy with the IPD setting (6mm exit pupils are often too forgiving), so I started setting it as low as possible for my eyes. Believe it or not that resulted in: minimal CA, a wider sweet spot, and better DOF. Contrary to popular belief, I now find it is just as important to precisely align my eyes with 6mm exit pupils as I do with my SE's sensitive 4mm exit pupils.

There's no question the Ultravid delivers a superb image. The new SLC, with improved coatings, also delivers a superb image and, at this level of excellence, it's a matter of personal choice. I will say that the Ultravid must have been optimized for low light conditions because that's when I enjoy it the most. On dreary, rainy days I go birding because I have the Ultravid!

Happy birding.

John

I recently purchased a pair of SLC 7x42 mostly because I think the edges are a little sharper-flatter field. I wanted a pair for both Birding and Astronomy.I am more comfortable birding with 7x. For what it is worth I owned and sold a pair of Ultravid 7x42 for more than purchase price of the SLC's. The Ultravids a great pair of birding binos.

Frankly, to me bins are like boots. Try before buy and even afterwards it still is a little different.

Mike

PS Get a shoulder harness. The SLC's are heavy

Last edited:
Hmm, good reading on this thread. For those of you that sold your Ultravids (Luca, MB) I currently own the Trinovid 7x42 and actually chose it over the Swaro SLC Neu in a side by side comparison. I felt that the image quality between the two was virtually identical with the ever so slightest hint of warmth in the color of the SLC. Only in direct comparison did I notice it. That was not an issue in my choosing one over the other regardless. However, I did choose the Trinovid over the SLC because of size and weight. The shorter length and slightly lighter weight won me over. I do wish they had thumb indents and got rid of the "ribs" though. My Meoptas are physically almost identical in size, weight and shape to the Trinovids but with the modifications I mentioned and they fit my hands like a glove.

I would be curious to hear if either of you, or anyone else for that matter, has taken the time to compare the 7x42 SLC Neu to the 7x42 Trinovid.

Thank you ahead of time for the responses.

Had a second (or is that third!) look at some 7x42 slc's today while shopping in town.I have to say,after looking through these there is nothing that would stop me from choosing them over the ultravids.The model I inspected was a gem.What really impressed me was the excellent depth of focus,field of view and ease of use.They might not be quite as bright as the ultravids?,or is that the swaros slight yellow colour bias?

What also really surprised me was the weight..yes yes I know they're heavy on paper but they're really quite pleasant to handle.The build quality is also very reasuring.

My only gripe is the focus wheel.Harder to turn in one direction and I usually prefer a good two finger focus as opposed to a one and a half!

How do others find the focus on these?

In short..these are a fantastic pair of 7x42 binocs,just wish I could have left the shop with them ;)

Matt

Last edited:
Great reviews from everyone I am saving for a Zeiss 7x42 or 7x42 SLC maybe even the Leupold Gold ring HD 8x42,undecided which but I have time to read reviews and come to my own conclusions, I now own a Kowa 8x32 that is Great in optics quality and build quality and great for hiking use I need a larger diameter 42 for cloudy days and dusk dawn use due to the brighter optics After reading all these posts it seems it depends on everyones own personal use what is good for yourself I have not looked through any of these yet but I am sure I will decide which one to buy after I look through each one and compare for myself I am not rich so I must save for 5-6 months that is a lot of money for me I am sure ALL of the binoculars are top notch Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica , it is just a persons own choice and opinion not everyone will like the same binocular or car or anything else you have to choose what YOU like and you will be happy, opinions are just that personal opinions never judge a binocular or anything else unless you yourself try them out I think all of you are lucky to have these binoculars they are all great optics so enjoy what you have.

Cat, since money is an issue, try one of the mail order places. They do not mind taking returns, you can return several and not take any in the end, if none were right. There are personal issues like weight, eye cups etc that are not clear till you have it in hand.

Cat, since money is an issue, try one of the mail order places. They do not mind taking returns, you can return several and not take any in the end, if none were right. There are personal issues like weight, eye cups etc that are not clear till you have it in hand.
Thanks Tero that is a good Idea try before you buy right? happy viewing.

swarovski
best customer service
highest resale value
widest sweet spot in a roof prism
great eye relief
built tough and ergonomic
smooth focus wheel

Cat,

Check around for a pair of 7x42 SLC pre-Neu but with Swarobright coatings. Why? First because they are identical optically to the current version with only the minor exterior differences distinguishing them. All pre-Neu SLCs after 2003 have Swarobright coatings with some, not all, in the previous two years. You can identify the year of manufacture from the serial number by adding 30 to the first two digits (e.g. D73xxxxx = made in 2003). Second because you can easily save hundreds of dollars.

I obtained a NIB 7x42 SLC 2003 vintage Swarobright a few months back for $900. There was a thread here where a member found another NIB pair the store was willing to sell for $788. The current 7x42 SLC-Neu runs over $1300.

I've been very happy with mine, shown here fitted with optional eyeshields:
P1010163sm.jpg

P1010166sm.jpg

Bob A,

Nice looking SLCs - I didn't realize that the pre-Neus had thumb indents. You have a very tempting pair of bins for my taste (including the eye-shields).

I recently checked with the Samplelist; they told me that the ones they have left are all pre-Swarobright. If you (or anyone else) knows of a possible different source, please pass it along.

Thanks, APS

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back