• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Swarovision EL 10x42 vs Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 (1 Viewer)

I think the main issue I have (and likely many others have) with older glass like the FL's is the inability to easily test them / compare them to their modern alternatives. Another concern as mentioned would be that many examples will be out of warranty by this point (with the exception perhaps of those produced from 2012 onwards). While Zeiss bins are famously durable, I think given the fact that used pairs are still quite expensive, I would probably require some proof as to how old they are, and would also need to know what a full service would cost for them, factoring this into the purchase price.
For all these reasons, they are a bit of a tough sell for me personally and as such probably not an option I would recommend to anyone (particularly someone new to the hobby), despite how good they might be. At least with something like the UVHD+'s or the EL's, you can still walk into a store and try them out against their peers - which is something I would definitely want to do if I were shelling out big bucks for a pair of bins! Just my two cents.

With 10X? Yikes! How big are these birds??? How do you spell pterodactyl?

You got the first letter right Gramps 😸. The closest nesting pair to you (a guess based on what you've mentioned about your location) are probably at the Berkeley campus but as autumn goes on you'll probably see them on your Richmond Trail birding walks. Check out any high vantage points and keep an eye out for shorebirds panicking...

Actually now I'm curious too - what birds are are you observing at 1.65km? I struggle to see anything at even half that distance 😂

Most of mine are within 300 yards,or 400 at the most.

That seems to be stretching it for 8X for me.

Of course, at those distances I am not looking at wrens.

Sometimes, I can see and identify birds at astonishing distances, but I think that comes down to experience.

Again, I'm not identifying flycatchers at those distances, except to say "That looks, acts, and moves like a flycatcher, and it is the right color."

Last edited:
ACH! Peregrine Falcon... Good job Nethero. How could I forget?

Many years ago attended a hunt with one belonging to a licensed falconer pal on Inland Waterway in NC. Not a big bird, as they go, but approaching 200MPH in a stoop, was kinda hard on a pigeon.

However Patudo, ahem. Peregrine Falcons at 1000 meters with a 10 X bino? Ive got a bridge to sell.....
Gramps

Interesting discussion but typical turn discussion! It starts from one subject and slowly but surely reaches another...So, back to the prime thread!
Does anyone have anything to say about Swarovski EL Swarovision 42 and Zeiss Victory SF 42?

Here is a table with personal estimates related to mechanical and optical performance of this two binoculars. These numbers are subjective being just a personal ranking after I compared these binoculars!
tabel punctaj.jpg

Interesting discussion but typical turn discussion! It starts from one subject and slowly but surely reaches another...So, back to the prime thread!
Does anyone have anything to say about Swarovski EL Swarovision 42 and Zeiss Victory SF 42?
Optically, both are stellar.

I definitely prefer the feel of the barrel shape and the stiction of the armor with the Zeiss. The 10x42 SF feels awesome in my hands and the focuser is superb. For me personally, either one is a satisfying top choice, but my preference goes to Zeiss for reasons stated.

While Zeiss bins are famously durable, I think given the fact that used pairs are still quite expensive, I would probably require some proof as to how old they are, and would also need to know what a full service would cost for them, factoring this into the purchase price.
Hello Prism,

my extensive experience with Zeisservice, if the binoculars are not really badly damaged, the repairs are free!

I had several binoculars at Zeiss, including some where the guarantee has long since expired, I never had to pay a cent.
In the high price of Zeiss / Leica / Swarovski binoculars, good service is also priced in, the manufacturers also live from that, I would not have such great concerns!
Which of course is also true, after the warranty has expired you are not entitled to a free repair, so if this is really time-consuming it could well be on your wallet.

By the way, for me the FL are still on the level of the more modern binoculars, both optically and mechanically.

Andreas

dorubird said:
From ZD:
"Optically, both are stellar.

I definitely prefer the feel of the barrel shape and the stiction of the armor with the Zeiss. The 10x42 SF feels awesome in my hands and the focuser is superb. For me personally, either one is a satisfying top choice, but my preference goes to Zeiss for reasons stated."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My apologies for contributing to the thread drift. I get excited... Back to EL vs SF 1042s....

I would say it this way:

Optically, both are stellar, though I love the true colors of my EL and the fully corrected FOV a bit better.

I definitely prefer the feel of the barrel shape and the stiction of the armor with the EL. The 10x42 EL feels awesome in my hands and the focuser on my example is awesome. Green is the new black. For me personally, my preference goes to the EL for reasons stated.

Glare. What glare?

G'Tom

Last edited:
Tom... I'd say that you're beyond content with what you've got. Why continue the search? All you need do is get out to the bay and put it to work! ;)

Very much enjoyed using the Victory SFs for the past few years. The easy view, superb handling and focus wheel are the best package of features I‘ve experienced to date (compared them to ELs, NLs, NVs, etc). My only real gripe is the eyecups. To me they are a real design flaw and out of place on an otherwise spectacular binocular design. Have already had them strip, freeze-in-place, etc. The worst part is in my interactions with Zeiss Customer Service they expressed that Zeiss DOES NOT consider the eyecups an integral part of the binocular - more like a lens cap or other extraneous, expendable part.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back