• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Thermal Imager tM35 (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Nice to see the Thermal Imager advertised for next years launch.
4 x 35 Magnification and is capable of being used on rifle scope or a night time hand held wild life spotting device.
Not a bad price either at £3900.00

Cheers Tim

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 21
For those who are interested, this device will only be available via hunting stores.
By Austria law this is a device which is part of a firearm and may only be exported to licensed users.

Jan

For those who are interested, this device will only be available via hunting stores.
By Austria law this is a device which is part of a firearm and may only be exported to licensed users.

Jan
Thanks for that Jan...

I'm interested in getting one but don't have a firearms licence.
But I'm in the UK so will check it out.
Should be ok though because you can buy both the Zeiss and Leica thermal in the uk without a licence.

Cheers

Tim

There are no restrictions on thermal optics in the UK. But I would be wary of what is inside the recent Zeiss product is a reshelling of another brand. The Zeiss being a third more than the same spec "no name" product.

There are no restrictions on thermal optics in the UK. But I would be wary of what is inside the recent Zeiss product is a reshelling of another brand. The Zeiss being a third more than the same spec "no name" product.
Agreed.

It looks a bit like the Flir

Cheers
Tim

Thanks for that Jan...

I'm interested in getting one but don't have a firearms licence.
But I'm in the UK so will check it out.
Should be ok though because you can buy both the Zeiss and Leica thermal in the uk without a licence.

Cheers

Tim
Hi Tim,

Everybody can buy it, but only at hunting stores and or traders with a license to sell firearms.
It is Swarovski that can't supply their "other" dealers because Austrian Law restrict that.
I could buy it in The Netherlands from a hunting store and sell it in my store. There is no Law against that. It's the Austrian Law that forbids Swarovski to export it to non-licensed dealers/end users.

Jan

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

Everybody can buy it, but only at hunting stores and or traders with a license to sell firearms.
It is Swarovski that can't supply their "other" dealers because Austrian Law restrict that.
I could buy it in The Netherlands from a hunting store and sell it in my store. There is no Law against that. It's the Austrian Law that forbids Swarovski to export it to non-licensed end users.

Jan
Thanks mate.

I'd like to get my hands on the Swarovski and compare the Leica Calonox View. Leica do 2 versions. The view version has higher resolution than the Swarovski plus has a zoom but it's the same price..
Not sure what I would use it for though 🤔. I just want it LOL..
Hope your well mate .

Cheers Tim

Why does it say that USA/Canada versions have magnification limited to 1x?

Surely that makes it rather useless compared to its competitors? I’m not seeing magnification limitations on other similar products in those locations.

The rules and regulations covering thermal imagers are many and various. Depending on the specifications they may or may not fall under arms trading restrictions. There are country specific regs, international regs and some countries are signed up to different regs. The whole thing is a mess.

Thermal imagers have military applications, and the Iranians have been caught attempting to smuggle thermal and night vision imager in violation of sanctions, hence the tight scrutiny. Leica does not specify who makes its sensors, but some of their competition, e.g. Pulsar, explicitly uses military-origin sensors from BAE Systems with the same specs.

I'm interested in the Calonox View to help locate birds in foliage, specially owls.

I have no idea who makes the inside of the Zeiss and Swarovski thermal imagers, I didn't suggest it was FLIR. I have an inkling that the Zeiss is a Hikvision inside based on the specs but can't confirm it.

Apparently the Calonox objective lens and sensor are made by InfiRay, with custom firmware, housing and possibly the EVF by Leica.

Last edited:
I ended up getting an InfiRay Zoom ZH38 for £2750 from Scott Country instead of the £4000 Calonox View. It's a dual-focal 19mm and 38mm thermal camera with a 640x512 VOx sensor (same resolution as the Calonox View) with 25mK NETD (a measure of how sensitive it is to temperature differences, most other 12µm pixel sensors are 40mK) and a robust metal rather than plastic body. The dual focal lengths correspond to 1.6x and 3.2x magnification respectively, with digital zoom.

Expensive toy, but I was impressed to see it could resolve flying insects flitting around in the canopy of the tree behind my balcony.

Thermal imagers have military applications, and the Iranians have been caught attempting to smuggle thermal and night vision imager in violation of sanctions, hence the tight scrutiny. Leica does not specify who makes its sensors, but some of their competition, e.g. Pulsar, explicitly uses military-origin sensors from BAE Systems with the same specs.

I'm interested in the Calonox View to help locate birds in foliage, specially owls.
Pulsar uses sensors from the French company Lynred (formerly ULIS)

I ended up getting an InfiRay Zoom ZH38 for £2750 from Scott Country instead of the £4000 Calonox View. It's a dual-focal 19mm and 38mm thermal camera with a 640x512 VOx sensor (same resolution as the Calonox View) with 25mK NETD (a measure of how sensitive it is to temperature differences, most other 12µm pixel sensors are 40mK) and a robust metal rather than plastic body. The dual focal lengths correspond to 1.6x and 3.2x magnification respectively, with digital zoom.

Expensive toy, but I was impressed to see it could resolve flying insects flitting around in the canopy of the tree behind my balcony.

I'm interested in getting a thermal at the moment.

Got a short list of Pulsar, InfiRay, HikMicro, Flir, Leica and Zeiss.
In your opinion which is the best manufacture .
I've got about £1500.00 to spend.

PS.
Do you know of a good forum dedicated to Thermal.

Cheers
Tim

I'm interested in getting a thermal at the moment.

Got a short list of Pulsar, InfiRay, HikMicro, Flir, Leica and Zeiss.
In your opinion which is the best manufacture .
I've got about £1500.00 to spend.

PS.
Do you know of a good forum dedicated to Thermal.

I am a complete neophyte. Pulsar, InfiRay, FLIR seem to be the leading brands.

www.nightvisionforumuk.com - Index page is a good forum, but you have to be approved to participate or even read it.

Flir is not a no name brand, they are a leader in the field of thermal optics.

Hi,

back during the cold war, FLIR used to be an acronym for a certain kind of optical sensor in military applications ... Forward Looking Infrared...
Which later got used by a company calling itself FLIR Systems building such sensors... but that was in 1978, so yes, they got some experience...
Probably a non-starter with todays trademark laws over here just like Binoculars Inc. - you can't trademark a generic term...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back