• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski winged eyecups on EL (1 Viewer)

Aquaplas

Austria
Hey there. I have a Question. Uses anyone the original Swarovski winged Eycecups? They are one Model for all SLC and EL Glasses. Whats the pros and cons? I thinking about to use they on a EL 10x32. In wich light Conditions they are better then without, and in wich not? Generally can anyone say, it a Winged Eyecoup for a exit Pupil with only 3,2mm good or not?
Thanks for answers.

YuShan

I'm using winged eyecups on my 8.5x42. I find it much better with eyecups as it blocks out the light from the sides very effectively. The only downside for me is that I cannot use it in combination with glasses. I normally wear contact lenses, but if I don't and switch to glasses, the eyecups are in the way.

mwhogue

Well Known Member
Supporter
Aqualpas and YuShan,

In my experience using winged eyecups can improve the view of any binocular including the SW 10x32. The Swaro eyecups are nice and well made but as you both say, cannot be used with glasses. And they don't fit well on all bins as they can be difficult to stretch and install on some larger models and too loose for smaller like the SW 8X30 CL. The Field Optics winged eye shield can be used on more different models and can be easily folded up or down for use with or without glasses. My favorite is the Binobandit product which is a neoprene sort of wrap around design. It will fit a wider range of bins, and can be folded up and down. I can use it with glasses without folding it down which is the biggest advantage. It is easy to put on and remove and will fold over the eyecups secured with a small plastic clip so it also functions as a rainguard. It may take a little practice at first to use and looks a bit odd to some people but for me it is the best all around solution.

Mike

Last edited:

Rotherbirder

Very positive experience with Swarovski's winged eyecups on the 8x32 so your 10x32 should benefit. The Field Optics version is inferior - poor fit on Swaro and not so well made - so I returned them & bought Swarovski's.

RB

kestrel1

Yes, winged eyecups from Swarovski are good, I have them on SLC HD, and main benefit is not only in optical view, but as well they block wind and moisture, thus enhancing comfort of viewing. Their price is bargain for Swarovski stuff.
FOR are not that good as these from Swarovski, as RB pointed in previous post, still they fit and are usable on wide range of binoculars of producers which not produce such a kit (having them on Meostars where they fit well). EDGs winged eyecups are the best ones I used, but not fit on other binoculars well and are quite big.

WimDel

I use them on my NL 10x. For me the sweet spot for eye placement is with the eyecups only two clicks up, but then you have some light from the sides. The winged eyecups are very effective in blocking that light. Only downside, with the winged eyecups I find the eyepieces a little more sensitive to fogging up.

DomG

United Kingdom
Hey there. I have a Question. Uses anyone the original Swarovski winged Eycecups? They are one Model for all SLC and EL Glasses. Whats the pros and cons? I thinking about to use they on a EL 10x32. In wich light Conditions they are better then without, and in wich not? Generally can anyone say, it a Winged Eyecoup for a exit Pupil with only 3,2mm good or not?
Thanks for answers.
Hi Aquaplas et al. I've recently put them on my 7x42 SLCs. They do make a big difference by cutting out the light to the sides. It took me a while to realise, however, that if you want too use the rainshield that comes with them, you have to leave the twist-up eyepieces in the "up" position all the time as it when you twist down the apex of the eyecups don't align with the the longest point of the rainshield.

Hey there. I have a Question. Uses anyone the original Swarovski winged Eycecups? They are one Model for all SLC and EL Glasses. Whats the pros and cons? I thinking about to use they on a EL 10x32. In wich light Conditions they are better then without, and in wich not? Generally can anyone say, it a Winged Eyecoup for a out the 8.5x42 EL

mwhogue

Well Known Member
Supporter
And now another question? How they work on NL Pure? Fits on the big Eyecups?

Aquaplas, See post # 6 above from WimDel. Yes according to him the Swaro winged eyecups will work on the NL pure 10x model, probably will work on all 3 NL Pure models as well.

Mike

oetzi

They jlock out the light from the side, but when sweating they m8ght lead to fogging. I still like and use them.

Users who are viewing this thread