• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweaty sticky rubber! (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

Hi, not used my Fury's for a long time and when I took them out of their case the other day the rubber on them was very sweaty and sticky. The weather here in the far North of New Zealand is hot and humid though I was rather surprised. Anyone found this to happen and is there anything that you can do, thanks.

Although I have birded in the north of the North Island, this didn’t happen to me - although as a tourist I wasn’t there very long.

I have no explanation, although wrapping them in kitchen roll when you store them, might prevent condensation forming on the rubber armour.

Although I have birded in the north of the North Island, this didn’t happen to me - although as a tourist I wasn’t there very long.

I have no explanation, although wrapping them in kitchen roll when you store them, might prevent condensation forming on the rubber armour.
Thank you for your reply. I think it must be the high humidity and maybe cheap rubber. I have found the same thing happen on cheap power tools from China!

there's also reports that the rubber cladding interacts with bug repellant (DEET) and possibly the sun screen lotions. If you google it there's various remedies and suggestions of work arounds on the cloudy nights binocular forums. Also check the canon group - birdforum as the reports of canon rubber doing similar things is fairly common- unfortunately. Pat

there's also reports that the rubber cladding interacts with bug repellant (DEET) and possibly the sun screen lotions. If you google it there's various remedies and suggestions of work arounds on the cloudy nights binocular forums. Also check the canon group - birdforum as the reports of canon rubber doing similar things is fairly common- unfortunately. Pat
Thank you for the info, I will check it out!

Of course you also have the EXCELLENT vortex guaranty to use if necessary. Pat
I've recently sent my bino's in for repair (there as good as new now).On the paper work which came back with them was the note, I quote :

If using bug spray with DEET, be sure to clean hands before handling binoculars, to ensure longevity of binocular armour and other rubber parts.

Good luck with that, I spray all bare skin in summer. I'm not a fast food restaurant for mosquitoes or any critter.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back