• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swift 804 Identification (1 Viewer)

dagreen1

Hi,

I just bought a pair of Swift Audobon Model 804 from an estate sale. I know next to nothing about binoculars & was wondering how to tell when these were made.

The words "SWIFT" (with the logo) & "AUDUBON" on the top of the left and right barrels respectively are in blue. The words. "MULTI-COATED OPTICS" & "US PAT. NO. 4626081" are on top of the left barrel. On top of the right barrel is:

8.5x,44
430ft at 1000yds
MODEL NO. 804

Also under the word "AUDUBON" is a white triangle with the words:

WIDE
FIELD

The focus knob is between the two barrels and there is a right diopter adjustment.

There are numbers in blue on the dial between the two eyepieces. The eye cups are rubber & are not adjustable.

On the very bottom of the focus knob assembly there is a spring loaded blue button that when depressed recedes into a threaded hole. I'm guessing this is for a tripod adaptor?

There is a number on the bottom of this assembly also which I am guessing is the serial#. It is 892484. Below this number is"JAPAN" in blue.

The binoculars seem to be in excellent condition.

Any help in identifying when these were made and what they are worth would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Don

p.s. Please forgive me if I have any of the terminology wrong.

Steve C

See the Historical Review stickied at the top of this Swift subforum. It has what you need. Go to post 12 or 13.

Sounds like a type 4a or b from 1989. From the forst two digits on the serial number.

Last edited:

dagreen1

Thanks Steve.

I checked out the history & while mine seems to have all the specs of an 804r, except it only says 804 on the face plate. Other differences are the objective cap hes two thin blue bands a
nd there in no oval emblem or decal on the top hinge.

Perhaps I've come across another model?

elkcub

Silicon Valley, California
United States
Thanks Steve.

I checked out the history & while mine seems to have all the specs of an 804r, except it only says 804 on the face plate. Other differences are the objective cap hes two thin blue bands a

Hi,

You have a Type 4a(2). A picture is shown at the lower right on pg. 16 of our article.

The two blue bands are identifiers for the 804R, as well as blue lettering for SWIFT on the left and Audubon on the right prism plates.

If it's in good condition you have a great binocular!

What is the serial number (shown in white lettering below the blue tripod hole in front)?
If you attach a picture of the right prism plate with 804 written on it we might comment further about you having a new stencil variant.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:

brocknroller

gainfully unemployed
Thanks Steve.

A footnote to the BF 804 Pages 17-23.pdf states: Ted Nordhagen, Montana, reports an 804R variant with white triangle marked “Wide Field” rather than “Mark II.”

Sounds like yours.

My 804 is an HR/5 MC from 1991, no such markings and it's designated "Extra Wide Field" on the prism housing.

Attachments

• Swift 804 MC Audubon and case 003.jpg
    Swift 804 MC Audubon and case 003.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 372
  • Swift 804 MC Audubon and case 005.jpg
    Swift 804 MC Audubon and case 005.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 315

dagreen1

Swift 804 identification

Hi,

You have a Type 4a(2). A picture is shown at the lower right on pg. 16 of our article.

The two blue bands are identifiers for the 804R, as well as blue lettering for SWIFT on the left and Audubon on the right prism plates.

If it's in good condition you have a great binocular!

What is the serial number (shown in white lettering below the blue tripod hole in front)?
If you attach a picture of the right prism plate with 804 written on it we might comment further about you having a new stencil variant.

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info. I was confused because the model number didn't have the "R" in it.

Attached are some pics (one is upside down, sorry!).

The serial# is 892484.

So what is a binocular like this worth assuming very good condition? I'm not selling it, I just would like to know the value.

Thanks again for your help.

Don

Attachments

• Swift 804 binocs 001.jpg
    Swift 804 binocs 001.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 310
  • Swift 804 binocs 002.jpg
    Swift 804 binocs 002.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Swift 804 binocs 003.jpg
    Swift 804 binocs 003.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 198

elkcub

United States
Don,

It looks like a great 804R specimen without the "R". I forgot to include my prediction that your s/n would start with 88 or 89, which is the date of manufacture.

In the US, the next version was the HR/5 Type 4b(1), also with MC optics. However, not all MC optics were the same as it turns out. I've got an inkling that your specimen is a transition model distinguished by: (1) "wide field" inside the white triangle, (2) elimination of R in 804R, and (3) (possibly) improved multicoatings to 4b(1). I just can't tell from the pictures and would have to compare what you have with my Type 4b(1). A typical 804R has rather watery objectives and oculars.

If we were updating the 804 article this might qualify as Type 4a(3).

Renze will no doubt comment about this, since we've been successfully stalling on putting together an updated version; basically it doesn't pay squat. |:mad:|

Ed

Last edited:

Renze de Vries

Not much additional comment needed. Yes indeed, there are three types 4a, the third one with the R left off from 1989.
The differences are cosmetic but could be of more importance if the coating formula was changed and the coating improved. However, this is difficult to ascertain as one needs to have a good look through them in comparison.

Renze

PS. Ed, the three types are in our Swift data already

dagreen1

So being a total novice on optics, I'm not sure what you mean by "watery" objectives & oculars. It seemed pretty clear & sharp when I used them today. Cold you elaborate?

In regards to the multicoatings I noticed when i looked at the lenses with a light shining on them the reflection of the light source i the lens had a green cast to it. I don't know if that tells you anything, but that's just something I noticed.

Thanks,

Don

Nixterdemus

Nice find Don.

My 804 is an HR/5 MC from 1991 ... designated "Extra Wide Field" on the prism housing.

Pardon the intrusion on your thread, but I wished to thank Brock for the pic as mine looks the same albeit from 1996.

W/o the oval sticker on the bridge. I have the small round one & a larger round one on the bottom of the other barrel.

Last edited:

elkcub

United States
So being a total novice on optics, I'm not sure what you mean by "watery" objectives & oculars. It seemed pretty clear & sharp when I used them today. Cold you elaborate?

In regards to the multicoatings I noticed when i looked at the lenses with a light shining on them the reflection of the light source i the lens had a green cast to it. I don't know if that tells you anything, but that's just something I noticed.

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don,

Sorry, I missed your question. "Watery" is just my personal description for the light color of the lenses. It's not technical by any means or derogatory. I actually enjoy using my 804R. Later models have darker green coatings.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread