• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift? Spore (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

Hi,: This photo was taken last week in Singapore. From my bino, I can see the white rump and white patch on head. Can you pls advise the ID. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 33
After spending quite sometime on google, I'm going to go with Germain's Swiftlet.

Hi, KC Foggin: Thank you so much for the confirmation. Actually, I also compared the image with other swiftlets in ebird, but noticed that certain difference and unsure the ID then. Again, thank you.

Rump colour is variable and size cannot be told apart reliably in the field, so the only definite way to identify the two species is to see them perched on their nests.

Supposed to be mainly Germain's in Singapore aren't they, could be wrong, a while since my last visit?
Unfortunately not - both are supposed to be common although I've seen a mention somewhere of Germain's being very common and Black-nest being common if you want to apply some relative weightage!

It's time that someone came up with a detector fo Swiftlets, such as those used for Bats. Does anyone know if their echo location frequncies are distinct from each other?

My point is that they echo locate as Bats do, I can't imagine it would be so hard, to rig a bat detector to identify the birds in flight without the need to record them.
OK, I see. I think it's the time interval between clicks and the structure of the social calls that are diagnostic (not the frequencies themselves). My mistake.

Steve

OK, I see. I think it's the time interval between clicks and the structure of the social calls that are diagnostic (not the frequencies themselves). My mistake.

Steve
OK, maybe my idea of the workings of the echo location is wrong, perhaps it's not comparable to that of Bats and the detector couldn't pick up the location calls?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back