• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Trilyte No 715 7x35 (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I was recently fortunate enough to acquire a near mint condition set of Swift Trilyte model 715 7 x 35, with the twist up/down eye cups.
They offer a very bright crisp image with a huge dof and are nice and compact in the hand.
The only issue is that they only seem to focus down to around forty feet and the focus wheel doesn’t have to be move much to go from close focus to infinity. It will move by another 360 deg or so until the stop, but the image is out of focus.
My question is, could the focus wheel have slipped and need re setting? Anyone any experience with these?

focus problem

Hi all, I was recently fortunate enough to acquire a near mint condition set of Swift Trilyte model 715 7 x 35, with the twist up/down eye cups.
They offer a very bright crisp image with a huge dof and are nice and compact in the hand.
The only issue is that they only seem to focus down to around forty feet and the focus wheel doesn’t have to be move much to go from close focus to infinity. It will move by another 360 deg or so until the stop, but the image is out of focus.
My question is, could the focus wheel have slipped and need re setting? Anyone any experience with these?

I have known the centre lock screw to undo and allow the focus range to change. The mechanism is inside under the focus wheel. There are two arms that join on the focus shaft and the lock screw keeps them in place. I am sure it originally focused a bit closer than 40 ft but maybe not as close as the latest models .

I have known the centre lock screw to undo and allow the focus range to change. The mechanism is inside under the focus wheel. There are two arms that join on the focus shaft and the lock screw keeps them in place. I am sure it originally focused a bit closer than 40 ft but maybe not as close as the latest models .

I guess it was something like that, as the wheel turns way past infinity currently. I am see no obvious way to access the mechanism, although there is a cover at the lower end of the focus rod. Held on with a tiny grub screw. I though about sending them for repair as they are very useable and near mint.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back