• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swifts from lowland Peru (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi,

I photographed these near Puerto Bermudez, in far eastern Pasco, central Peru, around 250 masl.
Based on the silhouette and well, what looks like a white chin (and lores in the case of the first photo), do these look good for White-chinned Swift?
As far as I know, the species has not been recorded in Pasco, but LSU folks reported it both from Junín to the south, and Huánuco to the north.

Thanks in advance, as always.

T

Attachments

• IMG_0449-2.jpg
    IMG_0449-2.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0661 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0661 - Copy.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 29

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Of the species in the field guide WcSw would be my choice. The concern I have is spot-fronted which was recorded for the first time in Ecuador in 1989 but now is known to be regular there. That species is mostly occurring at 11-2200 m asl but has been photographed down to 300 in eastern Ecuador according to BoW. I am not sure I could id those two from each other with these photos.

Niels

THE_FERN

I've not seen that species either but the pics I found suggested that the difference should be clear in photos as good as those here. If you see them again, listen out as song is key.

Thibaud

Thanks to you both!
So, as far as I can tell, Spot-fronted has never been reported in Peru, and this was some 700 km in a straight line from the nearest confirmed sightings in Ecuador so I think White-chinned is a safer bet.
Thanks for the tip about their song!

Last edited:

Birding Peru

Note that Black Swift is also migrating over the Amazon and geolocation data suggest they travel partly over Peruvian parts of the Amazon. Still very little known.
Spot-fronted has been photographed at Morro de Calzada by Fabrice Schmitt some years ago. I don't know why the record committee has not dealt with these records.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Spot-fronted has been photographed at Morro de Calzada by Fabrice Schmitt some years ago. I don't know why the record committee has not dealt with these records.
Interesting, and confirming my gut feeling that we don't know enough about the range of this species at this time.

Niels

Thibaud

Ah thanks for the info Gunnar! I guess I'll keep my eyes (and my telephoto) pointed to the sky!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread