• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Swifts from southern France - yesterday (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi everybody

I was watching a flock of swifts near the coast south of Béziers (France, Hérault) yesterday and a couple of birds seemed paler than the rest, so I tried to get some photos.
The first photo is the one I'm most hopeful about being a good Pallid candidate (what with the pale fringes on the body, blunt-tipped wings, fairly large pale throat patch).
Then there are three crappy shots showing the upper side of a second bird, with some contrast between the dark back and the pale base to the wings. I remember reading about that in a thread a few days ago, but I wanted to know how reliable a character that is?
And finally the last bird, for comparison, I imagine is a regular Common swift

As always, many thanks for the help.

T

Attachments

• IMG_9743 Pallid 1.jpg
    IMG_9743 Pallid 1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9734 Pallid 2a.jpg
    IMG_9734 Pallid 2a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9736 Pallid 2b.jpg
    IMG_9736 Pallid 2b.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9740 Pallid 2c.jpg
    IMG_9740 Pallid 2c.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9716 Common.jpg
    IMG_9716 Common.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 67

Alexander Stöhr

Wow Thibaud,
I never thought, I would write "everything is there! when it comes to this difficult pair, where I am normally learn from others (despite having seen many Pallids before), but your first picture changed this.
Thanks for sharing!
The second bird is another Pallid Swift imo. Please note:
  • the right pale clear brown colouration
  • extensive whiite on the head, so extensive and throat and front/supercilium, that its out of variation for a Common Swift, I see in Germany
  • the right drawn-out/long-tailed, but broad-hipped jizz, good for Pallid. Pleae compare to the Common in your last picture.
Last picture is more difficult to me, partially because of angle of viewing and that "single picture effects" masks/makes assesment difficult in this ID-challenge-pait, more so than in many other difficult pairs. But bird looks better for Common for me,(overall colouration, restricted pale throat patch), and when you identified it as a Common in the field, than it was one

Thibaud

Terrific, many thanks to you two!

Now, I'll have to pay more attention to the ones flying above the house, see if I can add Pallid to the yard list as well...

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread