• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swifts on Cape Verde (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Are these Cape Verde Swifts or Common Swifts? Or another type of Swift?

I saw them on Boa Vista last week. Around Rabil there were a lot over the date groves. I also saw another pair flying low over the desert. They were all rather silent. ebird shows only one record of Common Swift on Boa Vista, but quite a few records of Cape Verde Swift. But these birds looked more like Common Swift to me, based on size, the throat patch and the well forked tail. So I'm uncertain.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Rabil Swift 1.jpg
    Rabil Swift 1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Rabil Swift 2.jpg
    Rabil Swift 2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Rabil Swift 3.jpg
    Rabil Swift 3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 11
  • Desert Swift 1.jpg
    Desert Swift 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Desert Swift 2.jpg
    Desert Swift 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 8

Arbu

Very subjective but that seems to be a relatively shallow forked tail?

Yes, I suppose so. And the photos I see of Common Swift seem to show sharper ends to each fork than these birds.

Also there seems to be some paleness around the vent, which I'm not aware of being a feature on a Common Swift.

THE_FERN

The 4th picture shows wings which are thinner than any comparable common swift. Tail forks appear shallow but this is perhaps sometimes difficult to judge. Common seems to have a fork which is >= half the outer tail feather length.

Users who are viewing this thread