• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts (1 Viewer)

oceans

I saved a swift from cats a couple of years ago. Whilst I dashed back home I noticed apart from the mites, this strange crablike creature on its back. At the bird sanctuary he asked me if I`d seen its spider and he said that all the young get one (no idea what this means).
So what was it anyone? It was crablike, about the size of 'o' with legs and distinct markings on its back.
YUK!!

oceans said:
I saved a swift from cats a couple of years ago. Whilst I dashed back home I noticed apart from the mites, this strange crablike creature on its back. At the bird sanctuary he asked me if I`d seen its spider and he said that all the young get one (no idea what this means).
So what was it anyone? It was crablike, about the size of 'o' with legs and distinct markings on its back.
YUK!!

Have a look here for more details.

http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~vsmith/

Tony.
http://www.10X50.com

Crataerina pallida

oceans said:
YUK!!

Hello oceans,

should have been Crataerina pallida, it is by far the most regular ectoparasite on swifts! At warm weather they are very (!) fast. My friend Klaus Roggel from Berlin made some nice pics on his remarkable Swift-Page:

====> LINK: Pics of the Hippoboscid Fly Crataerina pallida - Collection 1

====> LINK: Pics of the Hippoboscid Fly Crataerina pallida - Collection 2

As Karvin mentioned (thanks Karvin :) I have some webpages about swifts in my HP included - but all are german. But maybe you can find something interesting there anyway.

=====> LINK: Swifts

====> LINK: Some construction details about a large camera-equipped nestbox at our house

bye!

Last edited:
Great pics!

Great site!!! Really interesting. Good close up pics, I`ve never really seen a relaxed swift, they`re so bird of prey like arent they? The eyes etc their mouths reminded me of Basking Sharks.
I really like watching them, they nest in the eaves of our house and we hear them and the babies all through the summer...we feel very privelaged.
Last year I tried to get some photo`s of them...I was so dizzy!!! And I didnt get any decent pics!!!! I wanted to paint them and I wanted to get an action pic so that I could maybe give the painting the feel of their speed and prowess....have to try again next season.
Thankyou for the imformation, very educational.

Last edited:
oceans said:
YUK!!

After a day ringing Swifts we would often find them under our arms when we got in the shower on an evening.

JB.

john barclay said:
After a day ringing Swifts we would often find them under our arms when we got in the shower on an evening.

JB.

So cute creatures :bounce:
I really would not like to meet them if they had a size of about 2 meters

oceans said:
Great site!!! Really interesting. Good close up pics, I`ve never really seen a relaxed swift, they`re so bird of prey like arent they? The eyes etc their mouths reminded me of Basking Sharks.
I really like watching them, they nest in the eaves of our house and we hear them and the babies all through the summer...we feel very privelaged.
Last year I tried to get some photo`s of them...I was so dizzy!!! And I didnt get any decent pics!!!! I wanted to paint them and I wanted to get an action pic so that I could maybe give the painting the feel of their speed and prowess....have to try again next season.
Thankyou for the imformation, very educational.

Thank you <oceans> for your wonderful impressions and thoughts :) !
Next year I want to take some better shots then in beginning of september when we saw some migrating swifts. my pics are not sharp until now...

1. I am no good photographer
2. Swifts are indeed very difficult to photograph

So let's drink for better pics in 2005!
trinken.gif

Oooo!!!

john barclay said:

JB.
For some crazy reason at first I thought you meant the swifts were under your arms and first I was so jealous and then wondered how on earth you didnt notice!!!! lol lol!!!! All this was split second....honest, I`m not that daft!!!
YUK!!!!! Bugs under your arms...oh how gross!!

oceans said:
For some crazy reason at first I thought you meant the swifts were under your arms and first I was so jealous and then wondered how on earth you didnt notice!!!! lol lol!!!! All this was split second....honest, I`m not that daft!!!
YUK!!!!! Bugs under your arms...oh how gross!!

Yep... the parasites were under our arms..oooeerrr

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back