• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swinhoes or Little Egret in Japan? Again. (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I took these photos of 2 egrets in Hokkaido this morning.

The first 2 are of them together, the one to the left is the one I think may be a Swinhoes. The last 2 are crops from the same picture. The 3rd one is the one that may be Swinhoes, the 4th one is definitely a Little Egret I think.

I thought of Swinhoes because the bill seems lighter coloured and shorter, the legs and neck also seem shorter.

Or is just my imagination and is it just a Little Egret?

Any opinions gratefully received.

Attachments

• _MG_3940.JPG
    _MG_3940.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 116
  • _MG_3941.JPG
    _MG_3941.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 90
  • egret1.jpg
    egret1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 99
  • egret2.jpg
    egret2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 90
It does seem to have a heavier and paler bill than the obvious Little Egret, and, in the first photo, the legs look proportionally shorter and stouter. Having said that, when it comes to smaller, white Egrets I would need to see the bird on the deck before I'd put money on the ID.

Chris

Just had a look at them again ( on the 'big boys' monitor, next door ) Still no joy I'm afraid.

Chris

BTW I'll be out your way at the end of November / beginning of December. Hopefully the eagles will be back on site around Rausu.

C

Hi Stu

Taking a quick look, especially of the 3rd pic I'd say it is probably an immature Little.

Doesn't seemmuch difference in size from the other bird and although the bill seems yellower in the first two pics, the 3rd pic shows the yellow restricted to the lower mandible only with some immaturesd showing more extensive yellow on the the bill in my experience.

Swinhoe's is very difficult to positively id in non-breeding plumage from Little Egret.

Hope your still enjoying your birding over there.

Sean

Thanks Sean, I agree the 3rd pic looks like a Little Egret.

There have been a few Swinhoes around in Hokkaido this year (and I saw one in July) and the pale bill got me thinking.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back