• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sylvia curruca snigirewskii Stachanow, 1929 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Sylvia curruca snigirewskii Stachanow, 1929 OD here

Aber der Name S. curruca turhnenica Snigirewski 1927 ist ein nomen praeoccupatum, da schon im Jahre 1918 N. A. Sarudny und St. J. B ilkewitch (Bulletin du Musée Transcaspien, Liv. 1, Paru le: 25. I. 1918, p. 16) Sylvia mystacea turcmenica subsp. nov.x) aus Turkestan (terra typica: Murgab et Tedjen) beschrieben haben. Darum schlage ich vor, S. curruca turhnenica Snigirewski 1927 in Sylvia curruca snigirewslcii nom. novum umzubenennen.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Snigirewski's Small Whitethroat Sylvia curruca snigirewskii Stachanow, 1929 NCR [Alt. Desert Whitethroat ssp.; JS Sylvia minula minula]
Sergey Ivanovich Snigirewski (b.1901) was a Russian ornithologist and collector at the Zoological Institute, Leningrad (St. Petersburg).

The Key to Scientific Names
Sergey Ivanovich Snigirewski (b. 1901) Russian ornithologist, collector (syn. Sylvia curruca minula).

So a new name for Sylvia mystacea turcmeni. Wikipedia gives Sergey Ivanovich Snigirewski (1895 (1896)-1956) Not sure which is the date of birth according Julian calendar vs Gregorian calendar.

Last edited:
Original Russian : Сергей Иванович Снигиревский.

Wikipedia gives Sergey Ivanovich Snigirewsk (1895 (1896)-1956) Not sure which is the date of birth according Julian calendar vs Gregorian calendar.
10 Jan 1896 new style (= Gregorian) [29 Dec 1895 old style (= Julian)].

(If there are two dates, the later one is always Gregorian. One way to remember is through Russians having Christmas on 7 Jan -- Christmas day is 25 Dec in the Church calendar (old style / Julian) = 7 Jan in the current calendar (new style / Gregorian).)

As a pure sidetrack, in the thread Lyrurus tetrix fedjuschini Charlemagne, 1934, there's possibly additional (and somewhat contradictory!) info about Mr "Snigirewski" (here).

Enjoy, and take it for what it's worth.

/B

Sorry to re-open this thread, and this sprawling topic, but ...

Today's Key:
snigirewskii
Sergey Ivanovich Snigirevskiy (1895-1955) Russian ornithologist, collector (syn. Curruca curruca minula).
:oops:

Didn't we agree that the Birth year ought to have been 1896 (Gregorian/new style), see here, post #16 ... ?

Recently (also) dealt with here (in post #24, and onwards).

James, why the change back to "1895-..." ?!?

Wasn't this the Julian/Old style year?

Just curious

Björn

PS. Note that Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin (2014) can't be correct in "... SNIGIREVSKIJ wurde am 29.12.1895 (10.01.1895) ... geboren". Only one of those Gregorian/Julian years can be the proper one (today). Clearly this must be a typo. But, on which one I cannot tell. Does this mean that the typo was made in an intended; 29.12.1894 (10.01.1895) ... :unsure:

Or not?

Last edited:
In the archive of the Russian Academy of Science http://db.ranar.spb.ru/ru/person/id/15416/ he is :
Фамилия: Снигиревский
Отчество: Иванович
Дата рождения (Старый стиль): 29.12.1895
Дата рождения (Новый стиль): 10.01.1896
Дата рождения = Date of birth
Старый стиль = Old style
Новый стиль = New style

I don't think I changed it back, never having "corrected" it in the first place; probably one of my Tsarist moods!
On the more general front, I am still busy editing The Key, almost on a daily basis, mainly adjusting type citations and correcting headings and typos.

And, what about his Death?

Did it happen in "1955", or in "1956" ... ?

I'm lost in all those various threads/posts. Sigh.

Note that Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin (2014) wrote:
S. I. SNIGIREVSKIJ starb am 24.11.1955 an einem zweiten Infarkt.

Any reason to doubt, or question, that claim as well ... ?

Note that Uwe Alex & Jevgenij Šergalin (2014) wrote:
S. I. SNIGIREVSKIJ starb am 24.11.1955 an einem zweiten Infarkt.

Any reason to doubt, or question, that claim as well ... ?:

Виталий Витальевич Бианки (2004) also wrote:
После второго инфаркта в ноябрв 1955 года Сергея Ивановича не стало.
= After a second heart attack in November of the year 1955 Sergey Ivanovich died.

This year is by far the most frequently cited, and there can be no calendar issue involved here. I see no good reason not to accept it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back