• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sylvia question (1 Viewer)

maudoc

mau the doc
Italy
Last week I was in Egypt, near at El Quesir.
In the desert, 3 Kms from the Red Sea coast, I find an Acacia... and one bird. I hope for any wheatear but it is "only" a Common Whitethroat (Sylvia communis), in my opinion. But something doesn't run for me, so I take a lot of photo. I have a doubt it could be a Spectaled Warbler (S. conspicillata).
I ask two friends of mine. One says communis, the other one conspicillata.
Two other birders: one says "conspicillata, but bill is large"; second says "communis, but plumage is for conspicillata"...

so... I post!

tnx in advance

Attachments

• sterpazzola04.jpg
    sterpazzola04.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 134
  • sterpazzola01.jpg
    sterpazzola01.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 116
  • sterpazzola02.jpg
    sterpazzola02.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 79
  • sterpazzola03.jpg
    sterpazzola03.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 99
  • sterpazzola05.jpg
    sterpazzola05.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I would have thought the absence of any rufous tones on any of the exposed wing feathers would rule out Spectacled Warbler (S. conspicillata).
I wonder if it is possible that any of the Eastern races of Communis such as Icterops or Volgensis would be in Africa in late June? These races are greyer than Western Common Whitethroats and do pass through Israel in the early spring?

Hello, I would suggest a 1 summer male rubicola or perhaps still icterops Common Whitethroat. The age must have retarded its arrival in northern spheres.

I would put this down as a common Whitethroat, - a lot of birds have been later than normal through here this year the same might apply to Egypt

any chance it could be a female sardinian warbler, they have pale legs and they are foud in egypt. Really not good with these warblers have to admit.

Agree it's a Common Whitethroat, not Spectacled. Primary projection looks fairly short on last image but tertial design better for Common. Also bill size and general proportions look better for Common.

Male Common Whitethroat for me too. It's very worn and bleached (there's clearly faded rufous on the wings), but ditto what Motmot said.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back