• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sylvia Warbler....? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Encountered this Sylvia warbler last week in Paphos, Cyprus...I'm thinking perhaps a 2nd calendar year bird, unsure of the sex...male? and as of yet am not totally convinced as to it's ID.

Although I only saw a single bird at any one time...there may well have been two birds, as some of the images seem to contradict, albeit the lighting and posturing may have contributed to any apparent ambiguity.

The default bird would be Subalpine Warbler....however I've only ever seen adult males before, and they are somewhat easier to ID in the UK, here in Cyprus....there are more options to consider.

cheers

Attachments

• P1280180.jpeg  Sylvia sp. 2..jpg
    P1280180.jpeg Sylvia sp. 2..jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 200
  • P1260206.jpeg  Sylvia sp. 12..jpg
    P1260206.jpeg Sylvia sp. 12..jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 122
  • P1260209.jpeg  Sylvia sp.13..jpg
    P1260209.jpeg Sylvia sp.13..jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 188
  • P1260204.jpeg  Sylvia sp.11..jpg
    P1260204.jpeg Sylvia sp.11..jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 166
  • P1250662.jpeg  Sylvia sp.18.jpg
    P1250662.jpeg Sylvia sp.18.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 124
#1-3 Sardinian Warbler
#4-5 Subalpine Warbler

The bird in images 1-3 was suffused with pink under-parts as on the other images.

Here's a Sardinian Warbler for comparison albeit an adult male, not a vestige of pink..just grey to the under-parts, also with a much darker head.

Attachments

• P1280043.jpeg   SardinianWarbler FULL ON.jpg
    P1280043.jpeg SardinianWarbler FULL ON.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 97
The bird in images 1-3 was suffused with pink under-parts as on the other images.

Here's a Sardinian Warbler for comparison albeit an adult male, not a vestige of pink..just grey to the under-parts, also with a much darker head.

Can't see the pink. Don't think it is a Menetries's due to the quite dusky flanks.

Can't see the pink. Don't think it is a Menetries's due to the quite dusky flanks.

Definitely not Menetries's and doesn't look right for Sardinian either! I'd plump for Subalpine based on these photos but the lighting's harsh and maybe distorting things!

Shane

Female Ruppell's Warbler; obvious white fringes to greater coverts and tertials.

Grahame

I agree in principal to what you say regarding the above...but I'd have thought that a pastel pink wash to the under-parts (this can be seen if you darken the images) would have been beyond the remit for Ruppell's ?

Somewhat still confused.

cheers

I agree in principal to what you say regarding the above...but I'd have thought that a pastel pink wash to the under-parts (this can be seen if you darken the images) would have been beyond the remit for Ruppell's ?

Somewhat still confused.

cheers

Like these?

http://blogs.ornithologiki.gr/osa/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG_9274.jpg

http://lamsdell.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/cyprus-5-to-19-april-2014-part-2.html

You seem to be in a permanent state of confusion.

Grahame

Last edited:
[QUOTE

You seem to be in a permanent state of confusion.

[/QUOTE]

Those images are not shown in my observers book of birds ;)

Last edited:
But in female Ruppell's you would expect to see some spotting on the throat which is clearly not apparent here!

Shane

Grey-spotting can be subdued or absent altogether.

Colins Bird Guide says ' Some spring females have dark grey on throat' while SLYVIA WARBLERS plate 5 (p488) states 'Typical ad. females have homogenous white throats. Many ad. females DO NOT have blackish on the throat'. Its the older females that look more like males.

Grahame

Last edited:
FWIW...here are a few images from last year of a female Ruppell's....what a variable bird?

Attachments

• Sylvia shot 2..jpg
    Sylvia shot 2..jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Sylvia shot 3..jpg
    Sylvia shot 3..jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Sylvia grab 1..jpg
    Sylvia grab 1..jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 42
Grey-spotting can be subdued or absent altogether.

Colins Bird Guide says ' Some spring females have dark grey on throat' while SLYVIA WARBLERS plate 5 (p488) states 'Typical ad. females have homogenous white throats. Many ad. females DO NOT have blackish on the throat'. Its the older females that look more like males.

Grahame

Agree with Grahame most of the female Ruppell's I've seen have had white throats with no dark spotting or smudging. The first bird is definitely a female Ruppell's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back