• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sylviid warblers (2 Viewers)

Can someone more capable than me please explain how this aligns with the recent IOC decision (Apr 28) that 'lumps' minula/margelanica and althaea with curruca/blythi/halimodendri?

Brian
i'm not really sure how capable i am, but i guess:-
  • this new paper doesn't address minula/margelanica at all, nor blythi
  • it demonstrates that halimodendri is more closely related to althaea than to curruca (as Olsson et al, 2013 also did)
  • this finding is at odds with the previous IOC arrangement where halimodendri and curruca were grouped together with althaea separated, so this new paper supports the need for a rearrangement
  • a lump is consistent with the evidence in this paper
cheers,
James

i'm not really sure how capable i am, but i guess:-
  • this new paper doesn't address minula/margelanica at all, nor blythi
  • it demonstrates that halimodendri is more closely related to althaea than to curruca (as Olsson et al, 2013 also did)
  • this finding is at odds with the previous IOC arrangement where halimodendri and curruca were grouped together with althaea separated, so this new paper supports the need for a rearrangement
  • a lump is consistent with the evidence in this paper
cheers,
James
Having spent sometime with halimodendri (assumed Clade 2 from range) & althaea in Uzbekistan recently, I am not surprised that there is some commonality between the two (sub)species as their breeding ranges abutt and no doubt there is potential for hybridisation/gene flow at some point in their evolution.

The points raised should also include the morphological, voice and habitat differences that they now exhibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back