• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Synallaxis cinnamomea aveledoi Phelps & Phelps Jr, 1946 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Synallaxis cinnamomea aveledoi Phelps & Phelps Jr, 1946 OD Descripción de cinco aves nuevas de Venezuela y comentarios sobre Columbigallina passerina tortugensis Fernández y Machaeropterus regulus aureopectus Phelps y Gilliard, Boletín Sociedad Venezolana de Ciencias Naturales vol. 10 p.151 here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Synallaxis cinnamomea aveledoi W. H. Phelps & W. H. Phelps Jr, 1946 Prof. Ramón Aveledo Hostos (1921–2002) was a Venezuelan ornithologist, Curator of of the Museo Ornitológico Phelps, Caracas.

Old key:

Prof. Ramón Aveledo Hostos (1921-2002) Venezuelan ornithologist, Curator of Museo Ornitológico Phelps (subsp. Synallaxis cinnamomea).

Here we can read:

Ramón Aveledo Hostos, Venezuelan ornithologist (04 July 1922 – 2002)

He may related to Francisco Ramón Aveledo Hostos and Victoria Maria Aveledo (Vilacha) (father and mother? But probably not.)

My questions are:
  • Born 1921 or 1922 and where?
  • Died when and where exactely?
Here

AVELEDO HOSTOS , Ramón Lugar y fecha de nacimiento : 4 de Julio de 1922 . Dirección : c / o Museo Phelps , Caracas . Especialidades científicas : Ornitología . Conservación . Malacología . Cargos que desempeña actualmente : Director del Museo Ornitológico Phelps . Conservador de Aves del Museo Nacional de Historia Natural . Publicaciones : Aves de Caza de Venezuela . ( En colaboración con con Gines ) .

Here

AVELEDO HOSTOS, Ramon, ornithologist; b. Maiquetia. Venezuela, July 4. 1921; S. Ramon Aveledo and Maria Hostos; B.S Primaria Colegio La Salle (Venezuela); Liceo Andres Bello, Colegio Atenas. Curator, Phelps Ornithol. Collection.

Maybe of interest as well here:

“Aves de caza de Venezuela”. Esta monografía, publicada en 1958, con las firmas de Hno. Ginés y Ramón Aveledo Hostos y con ilustraciones a todo color, de los artistas Alfredo Almeida y Walter Arp, da a conocer las especies de la avifauna venezolana de valor cinegético, comercial y alimentario.

See also here that he may have died November 2002.

Last edited:
Ramon Expedito Aveledo Hostos

Born 4 July 1921

Baptized 30 Oct 1921 Parish of San Sebastián Maiquetía in the DF of Venezula (attached)

To Maria de Jesus Hostos and Ramon Maximo Aveledo

He was the much younger brother of General Francisco Ramón Aveledo Hostos

Died November 2002 in Caracas.

P

Note Ramon should have an accent but my computer (on Birdforum) removes it automatically!

Attachments

• Ramon.JPG
    Ramon.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Note Ramon should have an accent but my computer (on Birdforum) removes it automatically!

True, Paul, and it ought to be on top of the o ... :rolleyes: ... just like in the OD (from 1946, on page 152), here:
Este nuevo pájaro ha sido nombrado en honor del Sr. Ramón Aveledo Hostos, Conservador de la Colección Ornithológica Phelps, a cuya diligencia se debió su descubrimiento en dicha colección, donde yacía desadvertido desde 1939.
Google Translate: This new bird has been named in honor of Mr. Ramón Aveledo Hostos, Curator of the Phelps Ornithological Collection, to whose diligence its discovery in said collection was due, where it had been lying unnoticed since 1939.

And below, some additional info, though only minor bits and pieces, nothing major, nor anything contradictory (I think?), hopefully of interest.

Also note that in quite a few (read; several) papers (most often in Entomology) his last Surname Hostos (i.e. from his Mother's name) has, for some whatever-reason, often been written 'Ostos' ... (which I assume is simply due to how it was said/told/pronounced). Looks like he as well was a keen entomologist (butterflies in particular).

Some papers (about Birds) by Ramón Aveledo Hostos himself here (1946) and here (1984). Or here (with several papers, starting in 1943), and onwards.

And in this blogpost, about the Venezuelan Troupial Icterus icterus (the National Bird of Venezuela) he's presented as:
"... Ramón Aveledo Hostos, quien era por entonces un joven de 36 años que fungía de Presidente de la SVCN [Sociedad Venezolana de Ciencias Naturales] y Curador de la COP [Colección Ornitológica Phelps], ..."

If true (and I haven't seen anything indicating otherwise) it looks like he, at some point, in some period (on top of all the other titles/jobs/assignments he had, as mentioned in Martin's post #1), also seems to have been the president/chairman of the former organization/association (SVCN), but exactly when I cannot find (probably from 1957, as of here, p.55), neither for how long, possibly (as of here) for at least twenty years (in 1977, that is), or/and even more ...

Well, that's it, not much, but that's all I could find about him. Spanish is not my strongest side (which, in its turn, clearly is an understatement).

aveledoi ... over and out!

Björn (at least on my part)

PS. However, also note that there's apparently (also?) a certain "Aveledo, Ramón Eduardo" (!?!) listed on p.397, in the same Boletín Sociedad Venezolanade Ciencias Naturales (vol. 10), clearly in connection to "Museo Ornithólogico Phelps, El Paraiso" (see first link above).

If that's "our guy" himself? Or a Brother, a Son, a Cousin, or any distant relative ... ? Who knows?

Last edited:
No mystery there.
Ramon seems to have not liked his given name and used Eduardo instead of Expedito.
Such changes are common in the "pre-internet period" in my experience and are rarely formalized.

P

One more (quick) post ...
No mystery there.
Ramon seems to have not liked his given name and used Eduardo instead of Expedito.
Such changes are common in the "pre-internet period" in my experience and are rarely formalized.

P
Ok, Paul, fair enough, I'll take your word for it (even if I don't fully agree in the "common" part, in my mind such alterations was/is quite rare ) ... 🙄

However, thus, and thereby, in my notes I'll keep him, and "his" Bird, as follows (neither one mentioned in my MS):

aveledoi as in:
the Stripe-breasted Spinetail ssp. Synallaxis cinnamomea aveledoi W. H. PHELPS & W. H. PHELPS Jr., 1946
= Ramón Aveledo Hostos (1921–2002), Baptised as Ramón Expedito Aveledo Hostos, later a k a (alt. amended into) Ramón Eduardo Aveledo (Hostos), in the latter version a k a with, or without, the latter Maternal Surname.

Born 4 July 1921, in Maiquetia, Venezuela ... and onwards (re. Parents, Life, Works, Occupations, titles, etc., etc.), as earlier told in this thread ... until he died, apparently in 2002 (presumably in November), allegedly in Caracas (in the same Venezuela).

Correct? Or not?

/B

Last edited:
Sorry where is mentioned that he died in Caracas? At least I haven't seen the evidence. Péfaur did not mention it.

Small on other activities here:

El ornitólogo Ramón Aveledo Hostos (1922-2002), presidente de la Sociedad desde 1957, decidió honrar los deseos de Pittier y publicar el resto del material archivado de Raymond (Aveledo Hostos, 1982).

Aveledo Hostos, R. 1982. Prefacio. Pp. 7–8. En: Raymond, T. Mariposas de Venezuela. Caracas: Ediciones Corpoven /Armitano Editor.

Last edited:
Today I got a mail from Miguel Lentino (Fundación William H. Phelps) that he died 21. November 2002 in Caracas. As well I got a spanish written obituary which at least looks to me as not officially published. He wrote as well born in Edo. La Guaira, en Maiquetia. There is a publication mentioned:

Farid Ayaach M: Ramón Aveledo Hostas y su aporte a la cienca venezulano.

If exists? I have no clue.

Here we can find that Aveledo Hostas and Francisco Tamayo were 1960 founders of Estación Biológica de Los LLanos “Francisco Tamayo”.

The full text from Who's who in the World: 1971-1972 (as good as I could get it)

AVELEDO HOSTOS, Ramon, ornithologist; b. Maiquetia. Venezuela, July 4. 1921; S. Ramon Aveledo and Maria Hostos; B.S Primaria Colegio La Salle (Venezuela); Liceo Andres Bello, Colegio Atenas. Curator, Phelps Ornithol. Collection. Caracas. Venezuela, 1940 — ; curator birds Nat. Mus. Natural Scis., 1943 — . Dir. Parque del Este, Inst, for Preservation Valencia Lake: mem. Commn. for Protection of Natural Flora and Fauna. Ministry Agr. and Lands; mem. Commn. for the Conservation of Natural Resources, others. Decorated Order Andres Bello. . Mem. Venezuelan Soc. Nat. Scis. (pres.). Mem. Assn. for the Protection of Nature. Author: (with H. Gines) Hunting Birds of Venezuela, 1958. Home: Quinta Carchu, Avenida Rotaria, Caracas, Venezuela Office: Avenida Paez, El Paraiso. Caracas 2009, Venezuela.

Last edited:
Today I got a mail from Miguel Lentino (Fundación William H. Phelps) that he died 21. November 2002 in Caracas. As wel I got a spanish written obituary which at least looks to me as not officially published. He wrote as well born Edo. La Guaira, Maiquetia. There is a publication mentioned:

Farid Ayaach M: Ramón Avelado Hostas y su aporte a la cienca venezulano.

If exists? I have no clue.

Martin, was this "publication" really, truly mentioned as: "Ramón Avelado Hostas y su aporte ..." !?!

Also have a look above, as wel(l) ... ;)

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back