• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiga and Tundra Bean Goose Identification (1 Viewer)

Thanks all. Hope it's useful/that you enjoyed it. With the various species profiles on my blog, I tend to update them over time as I get new images. With this particular post, I hope to keep documenting variation in both species as time goes on.

Regards

Owen

Thanks for the article, I'm sure I'll refer to it from time to time.
May I ask your opinion on what you believe these birds are: https://www.ornitho.de/index.php?m_id=54&backlink=skip&mid=620893
I'm seeing mostly Taiga in those images, though there appears to be the odd Tundra.

This one here, in particular, looks good for Tundra. Of course one image can be misleading so always good to assess on the basis of as much info as possible and prolonged views.

Which species is more prevalent in your area?

Owen

Attachments

• PicsArt_04-28-11.59.48.jpg
    PicsArt_04-28-11.59.48.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 17
Thanks all. Hope it's useful/that you enjoyed it. With the various species profiles on my blog, I tend to update them over time as I get new images. With this particular post, I hope to keep documenting variation in both species as time goes on.

Regards

Owen
Owen, Iโ€™ve passed it on to several people here in the US and they thank you too๐Ÿ˜†

The link should lead you to five pictures that were taken on 23rd of September near Lรผbeck in northern Germany.
Tundra Bean Goose is by far the more prevalent species and most of the birds present (about 150) were without a doubt Tundra. Among them was a family of seven (circled in the attached pic), that caught my eye. I believe that they are Taigas. That species has become so rare in northern Germany now, that they have to be submitted to a rarities committee. After a few months of waiting, the speaker (who is a friend of mine) wrote to me, that they had never before discussed a report as mine. They consulted several experts who came to different conclusions and in the end they had several votes before the sighting was ultimately rejected with a heavy heart.

I understand their reasoning, but I still keep them as Taiga on my personal list. Looking at your article, I wonder if the acceptance of Taiga is handled too strictly here and that a little bit of a grin patch or sometimes a hunkered down position can occur in Taiga too

Attachments

• 2209-51176565-2086.jpg
    2209-51176565-2086.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 9
I think that these would not make it as Taigas in the Netherlands either, but I admit that I have not been paying the closest attention.
They are extremely rare in the Netherlands now, with a couple of birds this year (thanks to the snow) after a few years with none.
I'll link to Owen's website on the Dutch Birding page, just to see what they say about it.

The link should lead you to five pictures that were taken on 23rd of September near Lรผbeck in northern Germany.
Tundra Bean Goose is by far the more prevalent species and most of the birds present (about 150) were without a doubt Tundra. Among them was a family of seven (circled in the attached pic), that caught my eye. I believe that they are Taigas. That species has become so rare in northern Germany now, that they have to be submitted to a rarities committee. After a few months of waiting, the speaker (who is a friend of mine) wrote to me, that they had never before discussed a report as mine. They consulted several experts who came to different conclusions and in the end they had several votes before the sighting was ultimately rejected with a heavy heart.

I understand their reasoning, but I still keep them as Taiga on my personal list. Looking at your article, I wonder if the acceptance of Taiga is handled too strictly here and that a little bit of a grin patch or sometimes a hunkered down position can occur in Taiga too
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't realized you were querying these specific birds, and without the context I didn't know quite what was going on in the collage image.

It would probably be clearer if you posted the full body images of each of the 7 "head shots" (it doesn't look like each of these comes from the larger image itself?), so if you're trying to convince powers that be, maybe line each zoomed up head shot with the full body image, or indeed multiple images if possible, to give as full an impression of them as possible. As it stands it's difficult to relate the circled birds to the head shots.

I'll start with what I think is the easiest, if you'll allow me, the left circled bird I've indicated with the arrow...Taiga. The body and serpentine neck structure scream Brachiosaurus. It jumps out at me, and I would lock on to a bird like that in a flock straight away. Hope there's plenty who who agree with me on that one.

Unfortunately, the rest of the postures are not helpful. Taiga can indeed hunker down. Suck that neck into the chest and make themselves obscure in a flock of Tundra. And rear on, it can be very difficult to get a good impression of the neck, of either species, as the crest of the back interferes with your view. If your accompanying Tundra are very alert and stretching the neck up, this further exacerbates things. So you watch, wait, get those profile views.

Dealing with the 7 head shots, anti-clockwise from the bird in the top left corner
1. The head and bill shape look fine for Taiga. I would like to see more images to try and assess the neck. It looks on the thick side, but this could be just the posture in one image.
2. Looks OK for Taiga, though a little block headed in this one. Again, would like to see more (if this is the left circled bird? Probably no issue if so).
3. This too looks good for Taiga. If it's the same bird as circled just above it (which it appears to be?) It's particularly wedge headed in the group image, and I guess just huddled up. Would be good to get more on the neck.
4. I'm loathe to even attempt a comment on a bird facing away like this. If you have nothing in profile on it, let it go.
5. I like the bill for Taiga. Head is on the short side of things slightly, but forehead and chin feel good.
6&7 These I would be hesitant on. They have that particularly gormless look I associate with Tundra at times, so would reserve judgement for more images and poses.

I can't advise on rarity committee approaches, not really placing any value on such processes ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜‰ but if these are all the images you have, perhaps it was the entire package which stumbled?

Surely the left hand circled bird can be given reprieve?

At the end of the day, if you feel all the birds involved, on the balance of features, lined up with Taiga, I don't think anyone will be sharpening the guillotine for you.

Regards

Owen

Attachments

• PicsArt_04-28-08.35.46.jpg
    PicsArt_04-28-08.35.46.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back