• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiga Bean Goose question (1 Viewer)

The bird preening looks like it's a Bean Goose but the other is a Greylag. It's not really a great picture to use to illustrate the Bean, given that the bill is probably the most important feature for distinguishing Taiga from Tundra.

All Beans for me - the bill isn't stout enough for Greylag. The amount of orange is more than average, but can occur.

I actually added that photo to the article myself; the problem with the choice is that (at least when I did so) there were hardly any photos at all of nominate Taiga Bean Goose in the Birdforum galleries; this one was the best there was (previously, the article was illustrated with a pinioned captive bird, yukk). @ Andrew - by all means replace it if there is a better wild origin nominate fabalis Taiga Bean pic now (but not with a Tundra Bean pic, as that's a separate species on Opus!).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back